Metal Sheer (Project finished in Nov. 2014)

There was a recent discussion about safety and I think it really fits here…

One of the Top Rules of Safety is Right tool for the Job. This one was clearly violated.

None of the tools in the Wood Shop are designed to cut metal. Just because you can make it work doesn’t mean you should. The Carbide inserts on the Table saw blade will cut soft metal like butter, the metal will also leave pits and cuts in the insert that scar, tear and leave rough edges on the piece of expensive wood that the person behind you is using for his project.

Have respect others and treat your tools with respect too.

1 Like

Not sure what I can say about my project which has been done for nearly 6 months now. If we need a tribunal to figure out if I am voted off the island, I can start turning tiki torches tonight.

I followed all procedures at the time of my project and in no way harmed or hampered other members or their projects. So maybe an example should be made of an actual issue at DMS. I understand there is now a no metals in wood shop rule, but again this was nearly 6 months ago and no harm came of it.

What do you mean, not designed to cut metal? It’s designed to cut large sheets of material. If you use a metal cutting blade, then what’s the problem? Do you assert that the CNC router is not designed to cut metal?

So I was pointed to this thread not knowing the outcome. Someone went through old posts and found this. I just want it to be known for future people that come across this that no metal should be done in the wood shop. I am not going to seek your removal from the island (space). I have rules posted in the shop now, that were not there 6 months ago.

I am aware that the table saw, band saw and sander can all handle metal, but I don’t want it done for various reasons. The Haas mill will cut wood but we don’t cut wood in it for various reasons. We have a metal shop and if people want to cut metal they should use the tools in there. If the tools are not there, do your part to help build up that area. Teach classes and donate honorarium, seek out grants, petition the board or donate your own funds.

I don’t condone using tools from other committees if their use will impede others of their intended use. I found a soldering iron in the wood shop, which was not put back and I am assuming was used for wood burning. I DO NOT CONDONE THIS! I don’t know if this actually hurt the soldering iron or not, but it’s definitely not its intended purpose. If there is interest in wood burning art let me know and I will see if others are interested and we can look at appropriating funds if there is interest.

1 Like

With the CNC router we are allowing aluminum but nothing ferrous. And it has to be done in a certain way with no coolant. Just the air cooler and specified bits. There are process and procedures that need to be followed.

When someone wants comes in with a sheet of metal on the table saw what is the process and procedures? The table saw does not have a lubrication system. You definitely don’t want sparks being thrown into the dust collector or any hot metal pieces into the saw dust. Should we throw a metal chop saw wheel and let people cut thin plate steel. HELL NO! Just because it can, doesn’t mean we should.

If I wouldn’t get so much back lash I wouldn’t allow plastic either. I have had to pull off melted acrylic from inside the table saw, band saw and dust collection chute a few times. I also don’t like it when people use the sanders on plastic. It melts and then ruins the sand paper.

I understand most of the time it’s because most people don’t know any better. I have done things in retrospect were dumb as well. I was the one that tried to bend metal rods with the metal brake and ended up marring the edge. It bent my rods but left the metal brake less than perfect. That was my ignorance. I told a few people and they rectified it. I won’t do it again and hope others will learn from that mistake as well.

Like I said before, I brought this post out of depths because I was PM’d asking if metal could be cut on the table saw and they referenced this post. I want all future readers to know that no metal should be cut in the wood shop. (minus the CNC when done properly).

Thanks,
Alex