Metal objects/repairs for DMS by lathe class

Bob, do you use F360?

If all of this is redundant information, please disregard.

If he’s talking about doing it on the Bridgeport, he’d likely just need the drawing that Fusion 360 could export out. In other words this wouldn’t be CAM’d. If you want help creating and exporting a drawing in Fusion 360, let me know.

The new print press got damaged getting it off the trailer. Welding may fix it, but fabrication may be helpful. I’ll get you more info once i get the thing apart.

1 Like

Ken,
I have drawings setup. If Bob uses F360 it would be easy for him to view the models. To think through it without someone having limited views output as drawings.

I have started using Fusion360, albeit, not with a high degree of dexterity. How do we transfer a drawing for another person to look at it?

I can DM you a link.

You can turn the model into actual 2d drawing with all the dimensions on them. Very similar to Bobs hand drawings.

Thomas,

I visited Bert Rabbe in the wood shop yesterday and looked at the multicam wrench, and your prior replacement. Bert and I came up with some ideas that I would like to discuss with you. It looks more involved than something for a lathe intro class, but I could still assist you with making the replacement prototype.

1 Like

Exactly…my plan is to build a 60 degree fixture and a top with 2 screw holes that would allow me to mount the piece at 6 different angles.

Bob came up with an interesting suggestion … press fit a ring with a handle around the top of a crown wrench, cut the opening for mill shafts, and then mill the bottom of the crown wrench off to obtain the thin profile desired. Could have a nub at each open edge of the wrench to avoid rotation or maybe small pins. Lot easier to make than having to cut the “teeth” plus the crown wrenches are readily available.

What about dialing in the indexing head/dividing head to the appropriate angle with a small end mill? That should be able to get pretty precise.

I tried that…locking it into that 3-jaw proved problematic due to the handle of the wrench we are trying to build…

Is this the one in question, or has there been a v(N)?

Yes, essentially. @Tres0422 has tweaked it. That said, Bob’s idea may be the best solution both for a first build and for repeat-ability as the need arises.

I’m not sure you planned on building it, if it were me I’d make the handle after cutting the notches. Possibly welding it together when done.

They’re $20 :man_shrugging:

I think we’re making a wrench that will wear the nuts out faster

Be glad to meet you at the space and show you exactly why and what we are trying to accomplish.

If I’m lucky, I’ll make it Friday!

17 posts were split to a new topic: Personal Email Contact

The shaft of the Sucker Arm needs to be welded, and the axle must be straightened or replaced.