Metal and Tungsten only grinder added last night

I brought a grinder up there that has only been used for tungsten, along with some sheet metal and tubing for welding practice. the 4x8 is for tables and the 24 foot 2x2 is as well please do not use it.

3 Likes

If that wheel is to be used only for tungsten, I’d take the wheels off and hide them somewhere that only people who know why tungsten only wheels are necessary can find them.

Just sayin’

4 Likes

Please be advised: No personal storage is allowed in the shop. Note the sign in your photo that the stuff is under…

You must place your personal items in the storage area out in the main workshop, and abide by those rules. Any items stored in a committee area are for classes (in other words, it might get used up by someone else).

1 Like

Great point.
To be fair, none of this is for personal use.

The “scrap” in the bin is for anyone to use for practice.
The grinder is for Metal Shop, for grinding TIG tungsten.
It may have already been brought to Chuck’s attention, but should be if it has not ( @dallasmagna ), so he can take proper actions.

The metal on the cart is for @Team_Machine_Shop and their table. Again, if David ( @Photomancer ) was not already aware, he should be made so.

We DO need to find somewhere to store that stock so it doesn’t get used except for its intended purpose, and so it’s not in the way (and not on the cart, so the cart can be used for its intended purpose).

3 Likes

The sheet stock and square tubing is easy to price out, would you like a donation receipt for this - good if you itemize taxes.

1 Like

Yes, we discussed this last night in the meeting. It’s all donations for the space. Also the discussion of a smaller table being made for induction heater/small powder coating oven to go into the corner. Another welding table was discussed as well.

2 Likes

Since we are going to have this larger table out in the center, if Metal Shop can use the Aluminum plate that painted blue by the electrical door for the induction heater or something else, you folks are welcome to it. Wouldn’t make a good welding table, it would melt.

Tim, let me know if you can use it, otherwise I’m sure we’ll find a use,

I would be glad to add the tungsten grinder to the Tools Wiki if you’d like. Just let me know. I’ll grab the photo above. Should I mark it as a donation, or as a loan?

1 Like

Tim,

We can make a small shelf/stand for it and mount it in the welding area to reduce the temptation of folks to use use it “for just a sec”. Will create and laminate sign to put next to it. doesn’t need to be real heavy duty as only electrodes should be used.

I need to take a Vacation from work so I can do all the projects I want to get done. Lol

Btw, who’s definition are we using of heavy duty?

Do they have grinder stands that don’t just use old steel rims for a base and whatever scrap you have lying around for the leg?

I would wait until we have it mounted & ready to go.

OK. I’ll remove it. :slight_smile:

Lol. Well if you already put it up, I guess you might as well leave it. :slight_smile:

It’s easy to revert now, and then revert back…
It’s a wiki. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please don’t use the carts for storage. Other members need to use them as well.

Please move the metal to the rack of demonstration material asap and put the cart back in the workshop

1 Like

This was done for reasons of safety trying to get it on the other cart could possibly make it top heavy and make it flip. (personal experience) You also run the risk of laying it against the wall due to the concrete it can slide down. I did this to help reduce the risk of anyone getting injured by accidentally hitting it and knocking it down while up against the wall and or trying to move it on the other cart and accidentally flipping it on themselves.

I will be more than happy to build on to the current cart to make it stouter more stable and more organized if you can point me in the right direction.

Regardless, the carts aren’t for storage. Please consider the 1400 other members when making a tool unusable for days at a time.

Knowing it would have been cumbersome to deal with maybe you should have made the proper storage considerations before making the donation.

1 Like

This would be excellent++!