Mendel90 RepRap Build

Well written article on the Mendel90 build. Also this author appears to be a Raspberry Pi fan.
[http://samkear.com/hardware/building-mendel90-reprap-3d-printer-nopheads-kit]

3 Likes

Thanks! I have read this write-up and it actually helped me confirm going with part of the DiBond kit from Nophead instead of building it from scratch.

For the class I am going to try to follow Nophead’s original instructions for his kit, except with slightly different hardware and electronics.

I’m still in the process of printing my parts for my personal build to test the build before we build it in class. Nophead’s instructions are very well written. If you want to build your own along with the class I highly recommend purchasing this kit from Nophead.

1 Like

I know your going with the kit from Nophead, but i was wondering if you have any info on different sources for parts on these types of devices(3D Printers) you could share. Also i’m a newbe regarding this area but plan on gaining quickly, how many rasp pi’s would one need to apply to this machine build? Rasp Pi 2 and/or earlier versions?

You can completely source your own Mendel90 locally or from chinese parts from ebay/aliexpress. I am just going with part of a kit, the rest are parts I already have or pulling from the rostock delta printer, just to save time.

You only need one Pi for network printing, Octoprint lets you control the printer over a network, and even lets you use a Pi camera to monitor the printer.

Also, the thickness of MDF and Acrylic for the build?

That can all be determined in the python script, it’s all parametric so you enter the sheet properties and it adjusts the drill guides/CAD files to compensate. I think 6-12mm depending on what you want. If you want to laser cut it, CNC router, or hand cut it, I’d probably recommend sealed MDF it’s easier to work with and doesn’t warp/crack like acrylic.

Found this today, maybe of some use for someone. I’ll let you know if i order from him.

The Folger tech kit is worth a try but it’s definitely just worth buying better quality parts to start with instead of having to upgrade everything.

BTW I have the list of email addresses and I’m going to send Google group invites and will provide all the resources for the class.

With Mitch’s blessing, i finished the wiring on the Mendel, tightened the X axis belt, levelled the bed to the bottom frame, and did some basic cable management.

What remains:

Connect the hot end fan
Connect the +/- 5V power supply
Not sure if the PC power supply’s “power on” line is pulled out, didn’t see it.
Power on, configure/install marlin
Test
Calibrate
Print

You did an awesome job hooking stuff up and fixing the wiring. The new RAMPS board should be easier to work with Marlin firmware.

The 5v is going to be for powering a raspberry pi. The PSU is internally wired to turn on with the switch. The hotend fan I can solder on a 0.1" female connector. I need to take some time to look at it more.

I will probably print a dial gauge holder to level the bed.

If anyone else is pretty good about configuring Marlin, let me know.

I can do the config too. Pretty familiar with marlin…

Cool, let me know. Can you make a github branch of marlin specific for the
dms Mendel90? We can also add slic3r profiles and modified stls to it as
well.

So I finally loaded Marlin on the DMS Mendel90 in 3D fab that was built by my classes. Almost everything is wired up and tested except the extruder fan. I am having trouble with the stepper motors moving. They are using DRV8825 stepper drivers, I need to get jumpers to enable microstepping. All three axies move… but they make a lot of what sounds like digital interference in the coils, they also cut in and out every few seconds like one of the IC’s is resetting itself. I have adjusted the current trim pots and tried to rearrange the stepper motor polarity.

Anyone who is familiar with the RAMPs 1.4 boards and DRV8825 drivers or general electronics if they could help me out that would be great.

BTW the heating elements and thermistors work, the heated bed and hotend do heat up and extrude ABS plastic now. We are so close…

Did. You ever get the mendel running?

The DMS Mendel90 is mostly built. I just have a little problem with the DRV8825 stepper drivers and the motors cutting out and having noise, if you have a chance to check it out, I have pretty much stock marlin loaded. I also need to wire the extruder fan, and mount the hotend better.

But that’s another discussion, you can PM about it.

Ill be in tomorrow afternoon and will take a look

1 Like

I’ll probably be there tomorrow. I’d like to have it homing and do a test print soon.

DMS Mendel90 (Help Needed)

bounce :slight_smile:

1 Like

Too Kewl! I can hardly wait to see it in Action!! :smile:

Are we going to set this up primarily for pla? I have some i will bring some and some blue tape.