Mendel90 RepRap Build

I have PLA already. I was hoping it could be used for PLA and other exotic PLA filaments like we are using the Printrbot Simple now. It has a E3D lite6 which is limited to 240C. I rather do PLA because we don’t have an enclosure and I want to ensure it sticks well with some PVA glue.

Gluestick on tape is magic for pla.

1 Like

It almost sticks too well.

I still need to level the bed which shouldn’t be too hard with a depth gauge. But right now I couldn’t figure out the VREF and how to setup current limiting on the drivers, I also need to find small jumpers to setup the 1/32 microstepping, and in marlin I need to double the steps/mm to compensate. I think the wiring might be crosstalking though because I hear interference in the coils. and the motors cut in and out of holding like the chip is constantly resetting, it might just be fried driver chips.

If you have any spare stepsticks to try on the RAMPS board we can try it.

I have jumpers and drivers galore.

1 Like

If you could bring them and try them out, I can buy some Allegro drivers if they work better.

Success! All I had to do was set the VREF on the stepper drivers to 0.5V, they were set to over 3V, which was maxing out the chips and they were resetting. Now I have to reverse the axes, set the jumpers for microstepping, and then work on my steps/mm settings.

2 Likes

X and Y now home. Z needs calibration and level the bed. The extruder still makes a weird noise I’m sure the wires are wired wrong.

Once I get the firmware stuff calibrated, I can setup the slicer and start printing.

4 Likes

@themitch22 congrats on getting this up and running. Noticed you mentioned potential use of “exotic” filaments. Any chance for personal nijaflex use? Really wanting to play around that stuff.

1 Like

I added PTFE tubing all the way through the extruder and have hand tested ninjaflex and it does feed the flexible filament, but it will all depend on how well it is calibrated to print. I might have to tweak a few things to get it going with ninjaflex.

I’m hoping Polyprinter updates their flexible filament extruder soon, we have had several people ask for it.

1 Like

A bt of a side note… As Mitch pointed out ~ “Midnight” (our Printrbot) has been printing PLA, Woodfill, and Bronzefill successfully ~ It’s pretty neat! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Matt Z (@Comter) has been doing a lot of neat stuff with it; and, I’ll be working with him to get documentation on the preferred settings for the materials he’s been using really soon…

I’m soooo excited about the prospect of having another 3D printer which will be able to print these materials, too!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

We still need to come up with a name for the Mendel90. I’m just thinking the “ninety-y” but that’s not clever.

“Gregor” is probably not clever either…

Gregor Clegane from Game of Thrones?

I’ll have to see if anybody from the class is available to help name it. For now I’ll call it “Ninety”

m. I was going with “Gregor Mendel”, which is, I presume, after whom it was named originally…
GOT characters would be more clever.
How about “nineohmyte”?

Sorry. I’ll go on my way.

2 Likes