Managing your Talk Group

If you are a Committee Chair, you should be an owner of that respective Talk Group. This isn’t automatic, so if you aren’t an owner … you need to contact a Talk Admin (@ADM_FreddyCalvert or @hon1nbo ) to request the change. IMO, vice-chairs should also be owners.

There are three different options for setting up your Talk Group, plus the default. Selecting options makes it easier for people to join and/or leave the group.

DEFAULT: Closed Group

The default is “Closed Group”. If you select no additional options, then people have to look up the owner and then PM or post to Talk to request being added or deleted. This is how most committees are currently set up - not necessarily because it’s the best but because it’s the default.

If you go to your Talk Group (3-bar menu upper RH corner), Manage (top menu), then Membership (Left side), there are three additional choices (which I’ll call 1-3 even though they aren’t numbered):

Options 1 & 3 are mutually exclusive - you can select either one or neither, but not both. Option 2 can be chosen by itself or with either of the other two options.

1. Allow users to join the group freely

People can just click on the button and they are automatically added to the group. Option #2 can also be chosen if you choose #1. (You can expand the topics below to see more)

2. Allow users to leave the group freely

Users click the button and are automatically removed from the group without owner intervention.

3. Allow users to send membership requests to group owners
  • Request Membership. When people see the group, they click on the button. It sends a request to the owner who can accept (or not) the request. It eliminates going through Talk or PM to contact the owner.

More exhaustive details are provided in this other post.

4 Likes

For those trying to reach me for admin purposes, use my normal handle @hon1nbo. I only login as an admin when undertaking action so I may not get the notification in a timely fashion.

-Jim

1 Like

I fixed it above. Thanks for the clarification.