Talk Groups - How to find, participate and manage

Talk groups are a way to notify a group of people using one @-tagged ID. Each committee and some SIGs have Talk Groups.

Committee chairs - you have some choices. This can help you create and manage an inclusive group that fits the needs of your committee or interest area. I recommend that you review (and in most cases change) the settings for your Talk group. See subsection 3 below. I recommend that you choose options 2 and 3 both.

Vice-chairs - you have the same ownership privileges as the committee chairs.

The information below describes:

1. What are the groups?
  2. How do I get into/out of a group?
  3. Options for Committee Chairs (group owners)
    (a) Editing
    (b) Group membership options
    (c ) Adding/removing participants

DETAILS:

1. What are those groups?

• Upper RH corner of Talk, menu next to your Avatar …
  • By following through the links, you can also see who is in any publicly-viewable group.

2. How do I get into/out of a group?
It depends on how the group owner has set up a group.

(a) Getting in: Some groups will allow you to send a “join” request directly from the listing of groups.

(b) Getting Out: Similarly, some groups will allow you to leave voluntarily. If you click on a group to which you already belong, you will have the option to leave.

3. Committee Chairs (Group Owners) - You have options

(a) Editing. When a group owner clicks on that group, they have the option to edit. The owner can change the group membership options and add/delete members.

(b) Group Membership Options Any group has these three options:

Selecting these options helps you create and manage an inclusive group that fits the needs of your committee or interest area. I recommend that you select options 2 and 3 both.

• Allow users to join the group freely. Your choice, but I do not recommend this. Any Talk user, including non-DMS-members, can voluntarily add themself to this group just by clicking in, and with no validation.
  • Allow users to leave the group freely. (self-explanatory …)
  • Allow users to send membership requests to group owners. Any user can click on this from the group listing and then send a detailed PM to you explaining why they should be added to the group. You manually add them (see below).

(c ) Participants
You can add or remove people from your group using the EDIT GROUP option.

This is also how you would add members that send you PM requests to join your group.

4 Likes

Lol, Some groups will allow you to leave them.

Unlike “Sleeping with the Enemy” …

:slight_smile: