Making on the Job

I’ve learned a lot from the space over the years but it’s hard to quantify that or share with others what that means (it’s not like there’s a degree or something to show). I recently had the opportunity at work to exercise some of the skills I’ve acquired at the space. It started with trying to scan a 2 million year old fossil on an industrial CT scanner. The X-rays couldn’t make it through the block with it laying down (the thickest part was too thick).

A weekend of laser cutting acrylic and fishing line to the rescue.

Ready to scan vertically so the thinner parts are rotating in front of the scanner instead of the thickest parts.

Here’s some of the CT scan data being visualized along with 3D scan data. Photo was taken at the exhibit while the visiting researchers and scholars were working to identify hidden bones inside the block. The plan is to identify and digitally extract the bones so they can be 3D printed and 3D rendered.

I worked on cleaning up the 3D model of the chamber where the fossil was found so it could be 3D printed for the exhibit. This is the finished print.

Here’s the rest of the little guy. The missing parts of him are trapped in that block. They think he fell into a cave (approximately 30 meters down) and was fatally wounded. He was pretty young at the time. Like 10 years old.

The exhibit is at the Perot Museum of Nature and Science for about six months. It’s the only time it’ll ever be accessible outside of South Africa where the fossils were discovered. I suggest checking it out.

Here are some links to check out if any of this interests you.

Thanks to the space and the folks I’ve learned so much from the along the way. It’s been a pretty interesting ride.

35 Likes

Seriously interesting. We should have a DMS visit day, they have discounted group tickets at $10 for groups of 10 or more. (caveat you have to also be a member or purchase a general admission ticket $12)

5 Likes

This is a really neat project. Thx for posting it

1 Like

wow thats really cool man!

1 Like

Wow! I’d like to see your work in person.

1 Like

Visitors usually aren’t allowed but they’re hiring! I work at the Missiles and Fire Control campus in Grand Prairie. It’s a good company to work for.

https://www.lockheedmartinjobs.com/

4 Likes

This post was featured on Hackaday this morning!

6 Likes

They linked a tour of ladybird in that article if you follow the link. Pretty neat to see how much things have changed.

2 Likes