Machine Shop To Do List 8-2-18

Beautiful work rich.

2 Likes

Updated to this point. Cleaned & lubed the Z Axis detent/lock & oiled with 3-1.

1 Like

I got the mount up for the Colchester lathe tool but have not put on the board that holds the tools. I trying to figure out what the “right” size is for it. I should be up there about 1:00 tomorrow if anyone want to give some input.

3 Likes

I got tools mounted on the lathe tool holder board and it works pretty well. I think I mis-estimated the space between the columns so I think we can get 1 more column of tool holders (near as I can tell, we only have two more of the blue mounts). In the upper right corner I’m planning for a holder for extra lathe bits not in holders.

Let me know any improvements you can think of.

2 Likes

Thank you for doing this.

That’s great Mike. I’ll bring my porta-band tomorrow to cut the cart down some.

Update as 9-12-18

Bridgeport

• Install new strain relief on the Powerfeed input power.
  • Seal Powerfeed motor gear box & add gear oil (90 weight). Done 8-4-18 by @mikeglass, Thank you Mike.
  • Assemble the Metric Collet holder, well done by @mikeglass on 8-6-18. Thank you again. Need to find a spot to mount.
  • Build/Print/Buy T-slot cleaner for Vacuum to better clean the T-slots

Colchester

• Create tool holders for the lathe tooling. Done 8-18-18 by @mikeglass, Thank you Mike.
  • Create a place to place chucks

Shark Lathe

• Mount & wire replacement Power switches & Pilot lights. Done 8-12-18 by @richmeyer, Thanks Rich
  • Create a Chip Backer to contain the swarf/chips from chuck
  • Mount 5C collet chuck on the backing plate. Done 9-6-18 by myself.

Evolution Saw

• Create a backingplate to catch the chips.
  • Tarp/Cover over the cart under the saw. Potentially with Plexiglass or other material.

Coldsaw

• Create a tray for under the roller out feed/infeed table to catch the remnant coolant & retuned to the saw
  • Change the coolant on Cold saw, Its looking pretty nasty.
  • Clean around the saw.

Sherline mill (Metric)

• Mount to a baseplate. Done by @mikeglass on 8-6-18, Thanks Mike.

American Sherline

• Lube & look at the ball detent. Done 8-16-18

CNC Sherline

• Order the remainder of the parts
  • Assemble the new Motion controller & power supply, Then test.

Surface Grinder

• Unmount the coupling half from the arbor & look at the bearings
  • Buy & replace the “Joy” coupling & re-assemble the grinder arbor onto the machine
  • Buy & mount Magnetic chuck
  • Replace the Way’s oil line
  • Create a cover plate guard to cover the front of grinding wheel to housing.
  • Create a guard to catch the grinding debris

Misc

• Mount Cameron Drill press onto base plate. Done 8-8-18 by @mikeglass & @John_Marlow, Thank you Mike & Chris aka Shopmom
  • Look at what it would take to add hour meters.

Bandsaw

• Maintainance needs to be badly done on the bandsaw. I feel that its going to need major work which includes bearing replacement.

That’s all I can think of at this moment, I know there it more. I will add to the list on this post as needed to modify it.

3 Likes

Thank you to you and everyone who has worked on these things!

Will this fit the vacuum?

You know I’m not sure @raymond. I forgot that you posted it & subsequently forgot to check dimensions.

October 17th update

Bridgeport

• Install new strain relief on the Powerfeed input power.
  • Seal Powerfeed motor gear box & add gear oil (90 weight). Done 8-4-18 by @mikeglass, Thank you Mike.
  • Assemble the Metric Collet holder, well done by @mikeglass on 8-6-18. Thank you again. Need to find a spot to mount.
  • Build/Print/Buy T-slot cleaner for Vacuum to better clean the T-slots

Colchester

• Create tool holders for the lathe tooling. Done 8-18-18 by @mikeglass, Thank you Mike.
  • Create a place to place chucks

Shark Lathe

• Mount & wire replacement Power switches & Pilot lights. Done 8-12-18 by @richmeyer, Thanks Rich
  • Create a Chip Backer to contain the swarf/chips from chuck
  • Mount 5C collet chuck on the backing plate. Done 9-6-18 by myself.

Evolution Saw

• Create a backingplate to catch the chips.
  • Tarp/Cover over the cart under the saw. Potentially with Plexiglass or other material.

Coldsaw

• Create a tray for under the roller out feed/infeed table to catch the remnant coolant & return to the saw. Done 10-16-18 by myself & @BobKarnaugh, Thanks for the help Bob & thanks for the Self Tappers @EthanWestern.
  • Change the coolant on Cold saw, Its looking pretty nasty.
  • Clean around the saw.

Sherline mill (Metric)

• Mount to a baseplate. Done by @mikeglass on 8-6-18, Thanks Mike.

American Sherline

• Lube & look at the ball detent. Done 8-16-18

CNC Sherline

• Assemble the new Motion controller & power supply, Then test.

Surface Grinder

• Unmount the coupling half from the arbor & look at the bearings
  • Buy & replace the “Joy” coupling & re-assemble the grinder arbor onto the machine
  • Buy & mount Magnetic chuck
  • Replace the Way’s oil line
  • Create a cover plate guard to cover the front of grinding wheel to housing.
  • Create a guard to catch the grinding debris

Misc

• Mount Cameron Drill press onto base plate. Done 8-8-18 by @mikeglass & @John_Marlow, Thank you Mike & Chris aka Shopmom
  • Look at what it would take to add hour meters.

Bandsaw

• Maintainance needs to be badly done on the bandsaw. I feel that its going to need major work which includes bearing replacement.

That’s all I can think of at this moment, I know there it more. I will add to the list on this post as needed to modify it.

Does anyone know if we have more coolant for the coldcut saw?

We should have some coolant hopefully in the premix buckets, if not we should have some at least in the Teachers cabinet

So i took a crack at cleaning on the coldcut saw. Im 3/4 of the way complete. Got the floor on 3 sides. Some of it will need more simple green. Didnt see any coolant around for the saw. If someone knows where it is can the put it next to the saw on the floor.
Where should the old coolant be disposed to?
What do we do with chips?
Wherw can i find oil for general use after degreasing? Simple green was used.

4 Likes

I’ll be in tomorrow afternoon, We had pre-mixed coolant under the drill press. It may be empty now. Chips we can just throw away, The old coolant, Id imagine into the blue barrel of mystery. I think we have LPS that is in the teachers cabinet.

Looks good Freddy.

1 Like

Much appreciated, let me know what time and ill meet ya

Wow! Looks amazing. Thanks for doing that.

that is a great job! that should go on SHOW AND TELL. Not just a Maker, but a Doer.
thank you.

Where can the arbor shaft for the Harig surface grinder be found? Have we made any effort to find a suitable joy coupling? Do we have position of the old one and why did it fail?

We have the parts for the surface grinder in the teachers cabinet. My guess is it failed due to age, as it disintegrated.