Machine Shop To Do List 8-2-18

So I figured I would put a To Do List for things in the Machine Shop on Talk.

Bridgeport

• Install new strain relief on the Powerfeed input power.
  • Seal Powerfeed motor gear box & add gear oil (90 weight). Done 8-4-18 by @mikeglass, Thank you Mike.
  • Assemble the Metric Collet holder, well done by @mikeglass on 8-6-18. Thank you again. & find a spot to mount.
  • Build/Print/Buy T-slot cleaner for Vacuum to better clean the T-slots

Colchester

• Create tool holders for the lathe tooling & Chucks

Shark Lathe

• Mount & wire replacement Power switches & Pilot lights
  • Create a Chip Backer to contain the scarf/chips from chuck
  • Mount 5C collet chuck on the backing plate

Evolution Saw

• Create a backingplate to catch the chips.
  • Tarp/Cover over the cart under the saw. Potentially with Plexiglass or other material.

Sherline mill (Metric)

• Mount to a baseplate. Done by @mikeglass on 8-6-18, Thanks Mike.

CNC Sherline

• Order the required parts
  • Assemble the new Stepper, Motion controller & power supply, Then test.

Surface Grinder

• Unmount the coupling half from the arbor & look at the bearings
  • Buy & replay the “Joy” coupling & re-assemble the grinder arbor onto the machine
  • Buy & mount Magnetic chuck
  • Replace the Way’s oil line
  • Create a cover plate guard to cover the front of grinding wheel to housing.
  • Create a guard to catch the grinding debris

Misc

• Mount Cameron Drill press onto bate plate.
  • Look at what it would take to add hour meters.

That’s all I can think of at this moment, I know there it more. I will add to the list on this post as needed to modify it.

2 Likes

Ultimately for the evolution saw, I would like to put some think plexi glass on the frame that it is sitting on and then put a box underneath to catch the chips.

1 Like

We have to sheet of Lexan that was donated to us, so we have the materials.

1 Like

Several hour meters (about 6 or 7 of them) have been donated to the shop. Suggest that they be mounted on specific machines, such as the Lathes, to indicate total hours of operation. That could assist us as we log various maintenance tasks or to see how often a specific machine has been used. I set them in a labeled box in the supply cabinet. For that matter they could be mounted on our new badge readers as well.

3 Likes

@Kriskat30 saved a sheet of 1/16in polycarb I forgot at the space. I would be happy do donate it to machine shop if yall think you could use it.

2 Likes

Add: New base plate for donated Sherline Mill - lets get that in service!

2 Likes

Edited to this point.

Added various items for the surface grinder that needs to be done as well as the mounting of the Sherline to a better base & what it would take to add hour meters.

1 Like

So Today @Mikeglass took care of one of the items on the list. He sealed & put oil in the power feed so it is 100% functional.

3 Likes

I only had to ask Tim about 20 questions to get it done.

3 Likes

We still need a wire clamp for the power feed power cord.

Maybe “print some labels for drawers and what not” to the list - the P-Touch label machine in the cabinet works but you have to use their app from your smart phone. I think you can also print via USB to it but need their software installed on the driving machine. I seem to recall we decided we didn’t want to put it on the Haas PC but maybe we could use a laptop for it if folks want.

1 Like

I put a wire clamp on the Bridgeport but it did not click in very well. As long as no one pulls on it hard it will be OK.

On another subject, Does anyone use metric collets for the Bridgeport? I was going to assemble a holder for our set but it’s big and I’m not sure where we’d put it. It’s bigger than the imperial R8s and 5Cs together.

That holder bracket was bought to hold all the collets: useful ones and metric.:wink:

If using metric cutters, they probably have shank sizes in metric also, if so, they need the proper collet.

On the bases for the mill and Cameron drill, does anyone mind white melamine for them (I have a bunch of old shelf parts)? If not, I can make these today or tomorrow.

The mill base is 12 x 18.
Is 12 x 12 OK for the Cameron, or does it need to be bigger?

What about just doubling the size of the collet holder that’s currently on the Bridgeport? Until the expansion I don’t know where we’ll put the big holder. It would be nice to have a cabinet of “seldom used” tools :grinning:

Oh, a place to store the NMW tools? Good idea! :wink:

Actually, when we expand it would be nice to get all the metric specific tooling together in one place. Easier to find what is being looked for and to see what needs to be replaced.

1 Like

I made a base for the Sherline mill and attached it.

I assembled the collet holder and left it under the table.

2 Likes

Man look at you go @mikeglass. We sure to appreciate it. Updated list as of here.

1 Like

12x12 would be great. The Cameron base is only 4.11" wide x ~ 6.5" long. It has three holes through the base.

If possible, it needs a 1" diameter hole through the base to hold the dropper bottle of mineral oil. The Cameron has three oil “pots” that need a few drops of mineral oil every 12 hours of continuous run time. Keeping the oil convenient reduces the risk of using the wrong oil. The dropper bottle is currently attached to the Cameron.

I did not put oil in the oil pots since the Cam is lying on its side in the cabinet. As soon as we set it up we need to put mineral oil in the 3 pots.

If I remember I will bring a jar of bright Testor’s paint to paint the lids of the oil pots to make them easier to find.

I make a board and bring it up tomorrow or Wednesday. I won’t mount anything until can get to the drill. Should the oil bottle be near the back edge of the board? And does it need a chain attached to keep the bottle there? :grinning: