Machine Shop To Do List 8-2-18

I think the bottle should be near the back of the board.

I put a cable tie on the bottle in case we want to attach it, but nothing else uses mineral oil so maybe we don’t have to.

I’ll be there Wednesday morning so I’ll paint the oil pot lids.

I can see that you did this (looking at the camera for something unrelated). Thanks mucho!!

I was looking at the evolution saw today and it look’s like we could build a drawer under it to catch chips along with back and side panels about 18 in high. I think that would catch most of the chips. It also has a vacuum connection in the back that might help a little if we can find or make the proper size fitting.

1 Like

I’ll bet someone clever could 3D print a suitable fitting …

The port on the Evolution saw from what I remember is blocked off. The design is that way when you are cutting metal (they say steel) it is supposed to be blanked off. We put the plug in at that time. Perhaps we may look into putting a vacuum on it. Its said to be a 30 mm port. It initially had a bag to catch wood chips if using it for wood.

The board is perfect, and so is the receptable for the oil bottle. I painted the oil pots bright yellow. I also oiled them up and ran it briefly, so the Cameron is ready to use.

3 Likes

Has anybody need tasked to upgrade the Shark Lathe with the new push buttons and switches? I will be at the Makerspace Friday (tomorrow) afternoon and into the evening. I can start looking into that task.

1 Like

So too much time has past on my original post to edit. So here is the latest

Misc

• Mount Cameron Drill press onto base plate. Done 8-8-18 by @mikeglass & @John_Marlow, Thank you Mike & Chris aka Shopmom
  • Look at what it would take to add hour meters.

No @richmeyer the switches have not been installed as of yet.

Perhaps we should migrate the list to a wiki page?

Add: Sherline Mill, clean and lubricate, ensure lock is clear and working properly

Throwing out an idea. Some items need monthly maintenance, some simple like oil the ways. Maybe have a list and do them immediately after a meeting. Could probably get them all done in 15 minutes as a group.

1 Like

So I figured I would put a To Do List for things in the Machine Shop on Talk.

Bridgeport

• Install new strain relief on the Powerfeed input power.
  • Seal Powerfeed motor gear box & add gear oil (90 weight). Done 8-4-18 by @mikeglass, Thank you Mike.
  • Assemble the Metric Collet holder, well done by @mikeglass on 8-6-18. Thank you again. Need to find a spot to mount.
  • Build/Print/Buy T-slot cleaner for Vacuum to better clean the T-slots

Colchester

• Create tool holders for the lathe tooling & Chucks

Shark Lathe

• Mount & wire replacement Power switches & Pilot lights. Done 8-12-18 by @richmeyer, Thanks Rich
  • Create a Chip Backer to contain the scarf/chips from chuck
  • Mount 5C collet chuck on the backing plate

Evolution Saw

• Create a backingplate to catch the chips.
  • Tarp/Cover over the cart under the saw. Potentially with Plexiglass or other material.

Sherline mill (Metric)

• Mount to a baseplate. Done by @mikeglass on 8-6-18, Thanks Mike.

American Sherline

• Lube & look at the ball detent. Done 8-16-18

CNC Sherline

• Order the required parts
  • Assemble the new Stepper, Motion controller & power supply, Then test.

Surface Grinder

• Unmount the coupling half from the arbor & look at the bearings
  • Buy & replace the “Joy” coupling & re-assemble the grinder arbor onto the machine
  • Buy & mount Magnetic chuck
  • Replace the Way’s oil line
  • Create a cover plate guard to cover the front of grinding wheel to housing.
  • Create a guard to catch the grinding debris

Misc

• Mount Cameron Drill press onto base plate. Done 8-8-18 by @mikeglass & @John_Marlow, Thank you Mike & Chris aka Shopmom
  • Look at what it would take to add hour meters.

Bandsaw

• Maintainance needs to be badly done on the bandsaw. I feel that its going to need major work which includes bearing replacement.

That’s all I can think of at this moment, I know there it more. I will add to the list on this post as needed to modify it.

Sorry. 99.9% of the credit should go to Mike. I just added labels.

I spent most of Friday working on the electrical system of the Shark Lathe installing the new switch panel. The current wiring diagram of the Lathe was incorrect due to modifications throughout the years. I re-traced the wiring and will generate new updated diagrams. Current status: I still need to complete the switch panel installation, will do that this weekend. In the mean time…do NOT use the Lathe.

7 Likes

Thank you @richmeyer.

This is what I spent the day wiring & why I didn’t make the meeting.

5 Likes

@richmeyer, There is a book for the lathe that I printed in the Teachers Cabinet. It does have a wiring Diagram too.

2 Likes

Is the evolution saw locked out until a backing plate is made? I went to cut some aluminum tubing this morning and there was a padlock on the switch located on the support frame.

If it was a red padlock, then the answer is YES, it is locked just like the Cold Cut saw… Until you get the really quick training. If someone is trained, they should be able to train you.

1 Like

The Shark Lathe is now operational except that you have to share the power cord with the HAAS. The new switches have been installed and checked out. The green push button on the right side is a Jog button, the switch label still needs to be replaced. Pushing this button will run the spindle a little bit, sort of Jog the position. This was a fun project.

8 Likes

Thank you Rich.

I have added to the list the Bandsaw. When I was there the other day @nicksilva pointed out the machine is getting louder. Sounds like there is getting pitting in the upper wheel bearings by the sound it was making. That will end up being a major undertaking. But as a community I know we can do it.

2 Likes

I was just pointing out what Rich had already pointed out to me. Thank you Rich, Mike, Bob, Chris Marlow, the Mighty Tim, and everyone else that is keeping things going.

1 Like