Machine Shop Order requests

Figured I would make a thread of items that Machine Shop needs to order replacement or minor tool requests.

Since my time at the space hasn’t been as much as I’d like to have here lately, I wanted to put it to the committee members to add to a list that we need to order. So if you notice something is missing, add to the list so I can get it ordered.

So far I’m going to be ordering #7 & 1/4” drill bits. Some replacement test indicators, T15 bondus T-wrench & screws for the carbide lathe inserts.

To be clear, this is not a bulk order or items for you. This is intended to service DMS in Machine Shop. Additionally it is not for capital requests (IE large equipment purchases). There will be an upcoming wish list thread for our pie in the sky as well as the more down to earth requests. That stuff will be for our long term goals.

2 Likes
  1. 7/16" end mills. We do not have any 7/16" end mills. The two we had (probably donated) are no longer there. You can decide whether to buy another one or not. It is the counterbore for a 1/4-20 socket head cap screw.

2. 1/4-20 and 1/4-28 taps. Could someone please check these out and see what condition they are in?

• 1/4-20 is so commonly used it’s worth checking
  • Since I assumed that the 1/4-20 would be dull, I used the 1/4-28 yesterday. I had a real hard time tapping aluminum with it (but I acknowledge it could have been due to my inferior strength).

Yesterday I saw a small green-handled bondus T-wrench. I think it was sitting on either the HAAS table or HAAS toolbox.

Do we currently have any chamfering bits for machines? When I was recently wanting to clean up some part designs in the Haas I couldn’t find any. The only things I found when I last looked were the drill deburring bits and some general countersinks.

I could have easily missed them though.

I would however like to see combination chamfer end mills. One of those things that’s nice for doing inside edges of pockets so it doesn’t have a hard corner; when doing by hand it’s super convenient. Given it’s an edge case one of those things where if we see some mills for the right price awesome but definitely a “nice to have” rather than a must.

I’d like to see some hard buttons for a few controls on the CNC sherline lathe. A hard feedhold button and a estop button for example. The estop exists in the form of the switch on the unit, but feedhold has to be done by a mouseclick.

Putting Feed hold and estop, and possibly spindle on/off, on a physical pendant would be very convenient for the operator. This can be done with some low voltage buttons and an ATiny to emulate keyboard input (KMotionCNC has some items such as the feed hold mapped to Function keys, so a Teensy flashed to emulate a keyboard in HID mode would work well). The pendant can be cabled to the computer cart, and the cable can go from it to the machine for estop functionality. I expect the entire pendant could be made for under $50 using mostly parts on hand and a couple easily obtained.

Our metal drill indexes take a beating and won’t close or open properly and many of the bits are scored from slipping in the chuck.

I would like to see us get some makerproof plastic drill indexes with bits with flats so they can’t slip.

Like these. They have fractional, letter and number sets.

1 Like

I was looking for a 1/4” endmill to use on the XXL. Every thing I found was a long reach end mill which would not work. Some decent 3 flutes with a shorter LOC would be nice

Any specifics on the 7/16 EM? ie flutes, center cutting, corner radius, etc.

We should have plenty of 1/4-20 taps, I ordered several the last time I made an order for 1/4-20 taps. 1/4-28 on the other hand, I’m not sure if we have spares.

I think we have 1 or 2 around, I will order some more.

1 Like

I think we have some put up, I will look tonight to be sure. Any specific’s on the endmills besides 3 flute?

Nothing specific except a shorter LOC since the xxl doesn’t have a lot of room in the z axis. 3 flute should be very general purpose

The 1/4" end mill(s) for the Shapeoko must have a 1/4" shank.

I’m thinking 3 flute, center cutting (square end).

Chris, I’m thinking of getting some counterbore tooling if you think that would help as well.

2 Likes

If we had counterbore tooling, then I can’t imagine a good reason for a 7/16" end mill. Anything else could be done with a different size end mill and more passes.

1 Like

hacksaw blades

We should have plenty, should. I had 2 sleeves of them in the red toolbox

1 Like

What would you think about having two plastic-specific router bits - one 1/8" and one 1/4"?

I found some from Micro100 that seem to be appropriate. You can read their technical details at this link.

Here’s a comparison of options that are available through MSC. The green ones are the ones I would choose, but I’m not the expert.

Links to details and ordering at MSC:

1/8" cutters

1/4" cutters

I’m not particularly a fan of spiral endmills. they are more an upcutting endmill and I would prefer a downcutting endmill which is more typical for a machine shop. 2nd, we’re talking about DMS where you can’t have nice things very long so I would not be in favor of carbide endmills given the replacement cost. Cheap high speed steel is all that is necessary for plastics and light metal. Now if we start cutting fiberglass and carbon fiber, then carbide is a better choice. cheers!

OK. I guess I didn’t understand that because the manufacturer describes it as a downcutting bit.

yes it’s correct. My view of the flutes was backwards. Still don’t think it has much advantage over a regular endmill. since this appears to be 2 flute it would have an advantage in the chip evacuation but it won’t be as smooth a cut.

Could we add the Dewalt 1/8" collet for the Shapeoko to this general list?

I know there are other Shapeoko items still to be defined and/or pending but if we had this we could start using smaller bits on the machine. (Right now we only have 1/4" collet).

@nicksilva - this is the one we discussed. Are you in agreement with getting this?

1 Like

YES! Can you find the link again? It’s in my folder about 200 messages deep which means I’ll never find it. Thanks :pray:

1 Like