Machine Shop Committee meeting October 26th 2019

The October Machine Shop committee meeting will be in the Lecture Hall 10-26-19 at 5 pm.
We will be having our election for Chair. I will run for chair again. If you would like to run please show up.

We will discuss the past month progress & problems.
Our normal consumables.
New business items
Concerns

Items you made in the past month, problems with your part machining.

I encourage all who are interested to joint us. Again you do not have to be a machinist, you could be average John Q Maker or Jane Q Maker with no experience.

4 Likes

I have a prior commitment. I need someone who is willing to cast my vote by proxy. Any volunteers?

Being Tim’s probably the only one running, if he votes for himself it’ll be unanimous! Give it to Tim and he can abstain his vote out of modesty and still win with yours. :wink:

3 Likes

I will be in the woods killing hogs then, but I vote for Tim by proxy or however that works

1 Like

I am working a lead on the possible donation of a Bridgeport Mill. It is located in Garland at the company that I retired from, they are closing their Machine Shop Annex at the end of the year.

The Bridgeport Mill is variable speed, has the X axis power feed, a fairly new X/Y DRO, and is in working order and was used every day. The only problem they had with it was that the oiler system did not work on the far ends of travel. It could use an overhaul and paint job before being put into use again, a good project.

The shop also has another Bridgeport Mill that just sat in the corner of the shop for years, do not know the operational status of it. All I know is that I never saw it working in 10+ years. It could be scrap or functional.

I know the Machinist, which is also retiring, and can get a full history on these machines. In the next few weeks I should get a complete list of other items that this shop will surplus. We supply the trailer, they can load it up. Will keep everybody posted.

7 Likes

Or a donor machine for parts.

2 Likes

That would be fantastic.

If the committee wants the end mill, and this one is donated, I have an f250 and double axle trailer we can use to transport. As long as I’m available, I’ll be glad to transport it.

Of course, loading and unloading would need to be worked out.

1 Like

Loading & unloading could be handled easily with the Gantry. I have a better V-trolley, chain fall & straps we can use.

When we moved our Bridgeport to the home workshop, the worst part was getting it out of the previous owners shop. A little redneck engineering got the job done.

Anyway, just let me know if I can help when the time comes.

The Machine Shop in Garland has their own forklift, so loading the Bridgeport Mill will not be an issue.

2 Likes

I have an F250 and can tow if someone has a trailer. I just need enough lead time to empty any calendar items at work.

Sunbelt has hydraulic trailers that make loading and unloading MUCH easier. They drop down to ground level.

I’d like to remind everyone that the committee meeting is Next Saturday.

Again we will be voting for chair again. If you want to run, show up.

If you are interested in the committee show up.

If you dont like how things are going in the Machine Shop Committee, show up & voice your concern.

1 Like

A couple things we will be voting on other than Chair, is Air line for our new space. Since it will be probably just over the new 200$ limit, we will need to vote on it.
Also in the past there has been interest in getting pipe threading dies. I would like to discuss since it seems to make sense to get to help move things along with the air line.

2 Likes

Hey, Hey you… Yes you.

Are you on the edge of wanting to learn Machine Shop? Are you uncomfortable about learning more about it? Come to the meeting & learn about our committee. Help us help you learn something new. Get out of your comfort zone.

As some would say get comfortable, I say get uncomfortable. You wont learn if you always stay in your comfort zone.

5 Likes

Can you demonstrate endmill on a hoverboard for us?

1 Like

The minutes have now been posted.
Linked here

I would like to thank the committee for their overhelming support in having the chair position. I did notate that the proxies were not solicited. In addition I abstained in the vote for myself as chair. I feel I am competent enough to be in the chair position, otherwise I would not have chosen to run.

In the near future we will be running our airline, in the next few weeks if all goes well. So keep in eye out for that.

7 Likes

Thank you for stepping up and agreeing to run for committee chair.

Was there a vote on the air line?

1 Like

There was not at this time.

2 Likes