Machine Shop Classes

Good afternoon. I’m fairly new to DMS and am extremely interested in learning the CNC Machine and the metal lathe. I have not seen any classes on this for anytime in the future and was wondering if any were planned. Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance

You may be waiting a while or have to contact someone directly. Neither metal working nor machine shop has very many classes outside of the plasmacam, haas, Bridgeport, and here recently welding in my experience. Ive just been watching YouTube videos over what I want to do and if there’s no signage saying the machine requires training i just go for it. Not many other options.

1 Like

I know this doesn’t help much, but there were lathe classes on the 10th, 12th, and 13th.

We are in the process of completing the installation and testing of a new metal lathe. The old one will be removed shortly and then I’m sure classes will resume on the new lathe. @BobKarnaugh is one of the instructors; perhaps he can chime in.

@David_Steele is in the process of creating some Machine Shop overview/safety classes that will be forthcoming shortly.

I don’t know about the Haas training … I believe that @rjohnsoniv is the leader of the Haas. There is a CAD change in process and he can fill you in on training plans.

There is a Machine Shop committee meeting tonight (3/15) at 7pm in the Purple Classroom. Everyone is welcome to attend (you don’t even have to pre-register). This is a great place to meet some of the folks who are more active in the Machine shop, ask your questions, and get involved. It will take about an hour.

David Kessinger, @Photomancer, is currently the chair (pending tonight’s election) and he can probably also address the Haas issue.

2 Likes

Machine Shop Monthly Committee Meeting
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1621

The Bridgeport, metal lathe, cold cut saw, and (obviously) the Haas all require training. There may or may not be signage.

The cold cut saw has no signage. I was using it the other day and someone told me it required training. Looked for a sign to see if I missed it and there is none.

I’m interested in who unlocked the cold cut saw for you? It has a physical combination lock that you have to remove before it will operate?

3 Likes

Getting authorized on the HAAS CNC is a 3 step (4 for unsupervised) process. basically 3 classes.
HAAS Training Part 1: CAD/CAM
HAAS Training Part 2: Machine Operation Basics
HAAS Training Part 3: Practical Testing

The short story is we had to start all over after we lost the license to FeatureCAM. Walter put a lot of work into part 1 and we have trained at least 6 teachers. The refresher is this week for those that had already taken the previous class. I will be scheduling a Part 1 class shortly there after as I’m sure others will as well. Part 2 and 3 are still up in the air. Part 1 is spoon fed to you with the CAD done and CAM instructions in a step by step instruction. supervisors will have to verify your files.
I can help to teach part 2 as I am HAAS proficient, but am not actual HAAS authorized. Not a big deal since a lot of it will make use of the simulator. We just have to standardize on the class instruction first.
Anyone making it to Part 3 will have to schedule with a cnc supervisor to actually cut on the HAAS.

The unmentioned part 4 for unsupervised use will take some doing. You’re on your own there to do the CAD/CAM pieces yourself and you have to show profeciency with the HAAS.

And if you’re wondering why we go thru so much trouble it’s because a HAAS is up to $90K - easily the most expensive piece of equipment at DMS. Notice how the Wood CNC is broken just about every week due to misuse? We don’t want that happening on the HAAS. it’s very expensive to fix.

I also occasionally do a metal pen class on the lathe which is a good skill builder. I’m going to do another in April I think and while Sam Nash is currently offering an intro to CAD using inventor, I’m thinking of building on that by doing an Intro to CAM in fusion 360 where we can go thru the process of creating toolpaths and go thru all the options for the various types and tools. more on that soon. CHEERS!

Nick

2 Likes

Just finished teaching a Bridgeport class today, 8 students (two walk-ins I allowed in).

HAAS is starting the refresher course first then the class series should be starting by end of month. Because of software changes entire training has been changed. What was a single 15 hour class is being broken down into three segments.

Sorry for the lack of signage. Machine shop is trying to get better organized. Thanks for your patience while we go through this.

1 Like

Maybe the cold cut saw isn’t what I think it is. I’m talking about whatever the saw by the door and workbench is in the metal shop. Looks like a chop saw. Thought it was called a cold cut saw and think the guy who told me it required training refered to it as such. Whatever it is the guy said it requires training.

And it wasnt locked. Ive used it about three times now up til when I was told it required training and it’s never been locked.

The Cold Cut saw is in the Machine shop. It has liquid coolant.

Then that’s not what I was using. The one I’m talking about is more the size of the chop saw in woodshop and has a black disk thing for a blade.

1 Like

3 primary versions of rotating sawblade “miter saw” type metal cutting devices:
Chop saw (uses abrasive cutting wheel, no coolant–this is what @agvet was using )

Dry saw (uses carbide or similar blade, no coolant – DMS does NOT have one of these)

Cold saw (uses coolant – lifted pic from @John_Marlow above – DMS Machine Shop has one of these)

There are, of course a multitude of other saws for cutting metal, but these 3 are often called each others’ names, so in an attempt to assist in education (isn’t that someone’s mission around here?)…

Yeah, you were using the Metal Chop Saw. I don’t believe that it has a training required label anywhere. I’ve not been ‘officially’ trained on it and have used it a number of times. Now I’m wondering who said that it was training required?

I don’t know the guys name unfortunately. He’s a regular though, or at least regular enough for me to recognize his face.

Is there any chance or a ‘class’ that tells folks what the tools can
do? I would love to know what all they are capable of,

Are there any upcoming classes on the cold saw?

We are in the process of putting together a presentation and demonstration for the Cold Saw, Drill Press, Vertical Band Saw, Horizontal Band Saw and the basic hand tools in the Machine Shop.

The presentation has been submitted for review and approval by the Machine Shop Chairperson @Photomancer and a few other members. I would estimate that the first class will be held in about 2 weeks if all goes well.

1 Like

That is great I will be looking for it,