Mac Pro (model A1289)

My work is discarding two Mac Pro machines that ran when disconnected (haven’t tested them myself). DMS gets first dibs but otherwise they’re up for grabs by members gratis. DMS can have both or one per person. I’ll give it until tomorrow afternoon for DMS to speak up (ping a chairperson if you think they’d be interested). Send a private message if you’re interested as a member.

They’re both model A1289 which looks like it was manufactured from 2009 through 2012. One is dual 2.26GHz quad core and the other is dual 2.4GHz quad core. I don’t know what drives are in them, one has three and the other has four, I don’t know what memory is in them but there’s memory. Likely they’re the default configuration on memory which was 6GB or 8GB.

I don’t know what operating system is on them (or if they even have one installed) so expect to have to install the operating system. They might support the latest macOS but don’t be surprised if they don’t because apple is cutting off support for machines around the age of these. They make decent Linux machines if you’re not a Mac person!

1 Like

That was quick… The machines are spoken for unless DMS decides they want them by tomorrow afternoon. I’ll reach out to the interested folks via private message tomorrow depending on what happens.

I’ll take one. It would go great in the museum as a os x server

Roger that. I’ll leave it in the vintage computing area. Just to confirm, this is for DMS and you’re acting as a chairperson in this request?

1 Like

What is sad is that I’m still using a 2008 Dual Quad Core cheese grater. But web work doesn’t require much other than a good text editor and FTP client. :wink:

3 Likes

That is correct. It would be used only for DMS and Vintage Computer Committee projects.

1 Like

4 Likes

Not likely, its been donated to the museum on Mitch’s behalf.

Thanks Luke! We greatly appreciate the donation and will put it to good use for educational purposes.

2 Likes

I believe that model will not run Sierra, but will take El Capitan. If you need a bootable thumb drive to upgrade or load the OS , let me know.

1 Like

Thank you! I do in fact it came with three drives and no os installed.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Status of Post-fermentation class

Out of curiosity what happened to this machine? I haven’t seen it around.

Currently it’s actually out in the common room, in the area we’re working on for the design computers. We’re thinking about having it available for iOS development / mac specific software, it’s up to @denzuko at the moment though

2 Likes

Yep its back at the space and on loan to the Software development committee. We’ll be installing a newer graphic card to run Yosemite.

Services that are also going on the system:

• Arduino IDE
  • Android Studio
  • xCode for iOS development
  • Adobe creative suite
  • Autocad Pro
  • OmniSuite

Since this is a system under VCC’s operation we do ask that everyone be fare with the usage and use it for only makery things such as software/iot development or engineering.

2 Likes

I’d also like to take this time to ask that if there is any Mac specific software that the space needs we bring it up now so when VCC drafts the budget proposal we have it covered.

I have an Apple OEM Radeon 5770 that you can have for it if you’d like. It’s only 1GB of vram though. Probably just headed for the trash or freebie shelf.

1 Like

Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated.

Will bring it by this evening.

1 Like