Lynda.com Access

When you enter the info into the form it goes to a Google Doc spreadsheet that I don’t feel comfortable sharing because it has personal info.

@Photomancer looks like you’ll be in the group that starts on 10/26 and @Draco looks like you’ll be in the group that starts 11/9. You’ll have the seat for two weeks.

There are currently 3 more seats for the group that starts 11/9. After that it’ll be another 2 weeks out and so forth.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update - will I get an email or something that tells me how to access it, e.g. a link and a code.

Yes. Whenever I assign you the seat, Lynda generates an email to the email address you entered and it will give you instructions on logging in. I recently started sending out an additional email that comes directly from me because people have said the Lynda email goes into spam and they don’t know to check for it.

So look out for those two things.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update!

1 Like

For those who were not at the member meeting on Thursday, Alex said that changes in the terms by Lynda/LinkedIn may make it impossible to pass access around like we have been doing. They will honor the original terms for the duration of our current subscription. If the new terms turn out as bad as they appear, we will probably not renew. So get your Lynda time in by June.

5 Likes

Plano Public Library offers free access to Lynda.com courses to everyone who has a library card:

http://www.plano.gov/203/Libraries

4 Likes

Another set of Lynda seats were assigned today. Please keep a look out in your email if you’re expecting a seat. I’ve been sending a personal welcome reminder email as well but the actual email with access instructions comes from Lynda and may end up in your spam folder.

There are currently 3 seats open for the group starting on December 7th.

3 Likes

FYI for everyone: I heard someone say that Plano’s Library system had Lynda.com online ofr use at the library. I live in Arlington, went and checked there the Arlington-Mansfield-Kennedale system also has Lynda.com available. So when the our licenses expire at the end of December you may want to check your local library.

Not as convenient as logging in at home remotely but saves you $25/mo … I look at it as a $25 rebate on the property taxes I’ve paid Arlington for the last 26 years!

2 Likes

Our access will be ending next June.

Definitely check your local libraries. And if anyone uses the service through your library I’m sure other Makers would love to hear your review of how it’s set up and how access works for that particular city.

Has any thought been given to maintaining the Lynda subscription but locking it down to a couple of machines that would stay at the space? It doesn’t matter to me as my company has a subscription that I can use, but as I understand it, this is a popular thing.

COMPUTER USE AT LIBRARY: ARLINGTON

In Arlington, if you have a library card (free) you go to an open computer or you can reserve one for a certain time. My local branch has 20 computers.

You go find computer with a screen reading AVAILABLE*, login using library card ID, and a 60 minute timer starts. At the end of 60 minutes you can re-login for another 60 minutes if there are open computers, up to 240 minutes per day. Usage is tracked on daily basis, so if you log out after 42 minutes you still have 198 minutes left. At the end of each session the computer does a reboot and erases any history stored from your session.

You do need to bring you own head phones.

• It says AVAILABLE for if you get up and leave the machine you can utilize a HIDE screen saver that requires your Pin to unlock when you come back. Usage time still accrues.

I asked about this option when I first researched getting an account. It costs A LOT more money.

Plano offers free library cards to citizens of Plano AND

• Allen
  • Frisco
  • Garland
  • McKinney
  • Richardson
  • The Colony
  • Wylie

others, like me, can join the Plano Library for $50 a year.

My Library offers different services. Universal Class is one. Universal is for a different audience. It offers 500+ classes. I see Electronics 101. I need that.

I wonder what others offer us.

BTW - I just started my rotation with Lynda. It is fantastic.

1 Like

I want to say thanks for the Linda subscription. I’ve been through several iterations and taken quite a few classes now. The most important of which was some classes on Agile Development, which my company uses.

I also took some Arduino courses and some other business courses. It is an excellent resource for DMS members. If you haven’t signed up for a chance to take some of the courses it is well worth it to do so.

2 Likes

I’m sending out the access to this batch of users and we’re short one. Sign up if you want to give one of their classes a shot and have a little extra time over the next couple of weeks. Glad to see so many people love the offering. Take advantage of it while you can!

dallasmakerspace.org/lynda

3 Likes

What is the cost of a premium membership with Lynda.com?

Lynda.com review Looks like $25 or $37/mo depending on package. There is a discount for annual subscription

I have now used Lynda a number of times. It is a wonderful way to learn new skills. I’ve taken Arduino, Agile, Music Theory, Programming, Conflict Resolution, and Solid Works tutorials on Lynda. All have been excellent. If you haven’t tried the service you really should give it a try. It is an excellent benefit to our DMS membership.

Thank you Melissa for managing the program.

1 Like

I remember some scuttlebutt about the subscription not being able to be renewed… is this still the case?

Just wondering. Under this shared configuration is someone able to download and print a certificate of completion for a given course?