Lynda.com Access

Starting next Monday, June 1st, DMS will offer access to Lynda.com to our members.

We have 5 seats to assign and you can request one on the following form:
Deprecated

This will give you access for 2 weeks from the start date. It’ll be checked out to you as seats become available and you’ll receive an email at that time with further information on how to log in. You’ll have your own login and password that shouldn’t be shared with anyone else.

We’re not currently doing renewals, so you’ll just have to get back in the queue but luckily all of your notes, personal playlists, and viewing stats will be tied to your email address.

You can check out all of the wondrous subjects covered by their high quality video tutorials here. http://www.lynda.com/subject/all

I’m super excited about this new offering and think it’ll be a great tool! Let me know if you guys have any questions.

17 Likes

:open_mouth: :smiley: :+1: Super fantastic! I have been waiting for this…

1 Like

This is great! There is so much information available through Lynda.com.

1 Like

Do we have to use a computer at DMS or will we be able to access Lynda.com from our home computer?

I have a personal Lynda account that I have used for a few years now. If you get the premium membership and pay for PREMIUM ANNUAL membership, Lynda allows you to download the videos for watching offline. What sort of membership does DMS have? And if it is a premium membership, what is the policy about downloading videos? I don’t have use for using DMS for this, since I have my own, but wanted to point out this option. And I’m not sure what Lynda has to say about sharing and downloading together.

I think I got to this late awesome that we have it!

I enjoy having a free Lynda.com account as an employee of DCCCD. Aside from being able to access it via the web there’s also an app for iPhone/Pad (and I assume for Android devices) that let’s you either view your lesson in real time or you can download the lesson to your device and watch it even without an Internet connection. Wondering if you can still view such even after you lose access to the account.

Each person will their own account. It is not a shared account. But your account is only active while you have a “token”. You will have access to everything that Lynda offers for the time your “token” is active. It is a premium subscription and you will be able to download the project files but I am unsure at this moment about the downloading of videos. I doubt this is doable with our version, but people can test it once they get their logins.

@amacha you will be able to access to everything from any computer. Everything is done through their website.

Hey everyone,

If you were in the first 5 you should have received a welcome email with instructions on activating your account. You will all have access through 6/14.

As the first set, I’m really interested in your reviews of the content offered, the 2 week time limit, and the site in general. Let me know how to goes!

2 Likes

I was in that first group and thought it was great!

Very impressed with the content - I think the value is that it is “curated”. Normally when looking to learn new software or a skill I end up digging around on YouTube. Finding the “good stuff” is always a challenge. On Lynda.com quality (both production values and content) seemed to be consistently high. Also love the way the lessons are broken down. A 2 hour photography course might spend 30 minutes on each major topic but then broke down the 30 minutes into 5 minute chunks. I find I learn the most from that approach.

I wish the 2 week time limit were longer but understand the reality of limited number of licences and need to give others a turn. The 2 week limit did help force me to better manage my time. Maybe consider dedicating a computer at the Space to one seat full time access? Would be a nice tool to have available when you need to learn something quickly.

Site in general was great - easy to navigate and explore courses. Liked the way it kept track of my selections and progress.

A great addition to the Space. Thanks to whoever came up with this.

Phil

2 Likes

@Phil_Mangone

Nice write up. Thanks for taking the time to review it. Please feel free to join back up in the queue and you can get another 2 weeks. :smile:

I wish we could have a computer at the space where this could always be accessed but unfortunately that’s against their TOS.

It appears that LinkedIn recently purchased Lynda.com. I have been a member of both for a long time and I wonder how long it will take LinkedIn to completely screw up Lynda with total creepiness.

2 Likes

I just got charged twice while in this free membership thing they have refunded it but its going to be to little too late I’m going to end up over drafted and there’s nothing i can do about it

You should NOT have been prompted for payment. I just checked with others that have done lynda through DMS and they were never prompted. Did you follow the instructions in the email, because it sounds like you may have signed up for a trial? PM me or @MellissaRhodes if you still have problems or you need us to resend you the welcome email.

2 Likes

i already had a trial that instead of extending it or warning me or anything they just overlap with the same email and password and nothing to tell you to go cancel to payment plan

The Lynda.com classes do a very good job of explaining their subjects. I subscribe to Adobe’s Creative Cloud, so I took some of the classes that Lynda.com had on the Adobe CC programs.

However, just taking a Lynda.com class is not going to make you an expert in that subject. You need to make some effort to apply what you learn in order to master it. I am in the process of doing that with the classes that I took.

I found out that you can read the narrative of the Lynda.com presentations without subscribing to Lynda.com. Go to the subject you want to learn, it will show you a blank screen, but the narrative will be below it. It is like reading a book on that particular subject, albeit without the pictures. You can learn a lot by reading these narratives and this is a way you can begin learning a subject while waiting for your DMS Lynda.com subscription to come through.

2 Likes

My company has been doing Agile development for a short while. The Lynda classes on Agile programming methodology were excellent. I appreciate DMS offering the Lynda access to its members.

I have been on it almost everyday and there are many more subjects I’d like to explore.
I have put myself into the queue for another two weeks. (I’m on day 9 of my first two weeks)

I highly recommend it for anyone in the IT, graphical design, or software engineering career fields.

2 Likes

I signed up on the Google Form. Is there a schedule published with when a seat will be available?

@MellissaRhodes

Ditto, Ditto & Ditto, Ditto

I don’t know if there is a viewable list, but I just got an email (I think Monday is the “handover” day) with instructions for signing up. It activates for 2-weeks IIRC.