Looking for Rocketry/Satellite Projects

@John_Marlow I will check that out for sure. Building a liquid fueled amateur rocket would be sweet.

1 Like

Hey @David_Steele , looks like the video is unavailable on Youtube:

I wonder if RBNV is aware of this.

I’ll send a message to them. Thanks for mentioning this.

1 Like

We’re discussing a hybrid platform to land itself. We take it to 50,000ft, land it, then go looking for money. ISP is everything…after landing it.

1 Like

Interesting. Is this through the Science group or…?

There are a few of us who make the annual pilgrimage to the Black Rock Desert in Nevada (BALLS). We also have a launch site i Seymour, Texas, with a 32,000 foot waiver.

4 Likes

Several years ago @Josh_Melnick and I investigated doing a cubesat. We talked with the owner of kubos, the company that makes satellite software up in Denton. The owner is a great guy and had a ton of good advice.

The main thing to getting a launch funded is to come up with something that a company would like to test but it would be too expensive for them to test internally. You can find funding for the test because even at a quarter million it’s cheaper to have you do it than do it internally.

Our tentative idea at the time was testing yinmn blue at a heat shield because it reflects like 90% of uv radiation. It was an early stage idea so whenever even really vetted the idea, we just used it as a starting point for working through the rest of the cubesat requirements.

4 Likes

Wow! That 32,000 foot waiver is a big deal! Anybody out there pushing the limits?

Yes. Several. We also have a member who pushes 100K at BALLS.

1 Like

The video is up now. Fast forward to 14:18 for the satellite discussion:

1 Like

@NikeMikey That sounds awesome. Would love to join y’all.

Thank you, David.

1 Like

That is good advice. NASA gives similar guidance for prospective teams looking to get a ride through the NASA Cubesat Initiative.

Yinmn Blue as a heat shield is a super interesting idea. Are you still in contact with the owner of Kubos? It would be great to talk space with someone in the industry.

1 Like

I am not personally still in touch with him, though @Josh_Melnick may be.

2 Likes

Hey whats up.

Hey @Josh_Melnick I was wondering if you are still in contact with the owner of Kubos. It would be great to talk space things and ask for advice on building a cubesat.

I haven’t spoken to him in a while, but I could probably reach out, what is it you are interested in?

1 Like

Launch coming up in Seymour, Texas – last weekend in Feb.

2 Likes

Did an archival dig -
One of our (former?) members was active in Amateur Radio and cubesat.
Zach @zmetzing - Not sure of his DMS member status or if he monitors Talk.
Some past posts -

1 Like

99% sure he does not monitor, and is no longer a member for…let’s just say reasons, unfortunately. Zach is a great guy to work with, and if you can make contact, & he’s still involved, I can’t recommend anyone more highly.

1 Like