Lock picking needed

Anyone going to be at the space tomorrow (Sunday) that has the equipment and ability to pick a lock? I think it’s a really simple lock. Ive had it picked before because i lost the keys again and they just put a new lock on because it was cheaper than rekeying the previous lock.

I’ll probably be there today around 4-5, possibly tomorrow too.

1 Like

Okay I can’t be in today, but if you let me know if you make it tomorrow and I’ll try to find you.

I’ll be up there 12-4:30 in CA and I believe I have a set in my car. If it’s simple I can probably crack it.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll see if i can catch you

I’ll be in early tomorrow. Probably on a lathe in the wood shop. What type of lock?

Hmm… someone should teach a lockpicking class.

Before anyone questions legality, remember… it’s always legal to pick your own lock. There are plenty of valid reasons to pick a lock, lost keys is just one of them. I’d teach it, but I’m kind of rusty.

2 Likes

I’ll be there in about an hour. Blue space kitty t-shirt. I should be somewhere between 3dfab and woodshop.

we’ve had one recently and there’s another one going in planning.

Im not sure what kind of lock. Steve and Matthew both tried. I think Matthew knew what it was.

It’s a water tumbler lock with a really stiff core and a huge keyway. It’s for a cabinet style lock that doesn’t have a sprung core. My wrenches are too thin/flimsy to tension it well, and I’ve never done a disk detainer before so I’m not sure what to feel for.

Suggest a pair of straight grooming scissors.

For tension? Do they click like pin and tumblers?

I think he meant to just stab it in frustration, that lock was a beast.

You pop it?

LOL, nooo, dont stab it.

These scissors

work great for the lock you are describing.

Insert one of the blades, rake and turn to keep tension. That wafer lock dont stand a chance.

FYI, they are small surgical scissors.

Blades are about 1.5" long

1 Like

I have a pick gun that might be effective.

If it can’t be picked, wafer tumbler locks are generally easy to make a key by impression if brass blanks are available. I have the pippin file and vise grips, and some experience from long ago. Do you know what keyway it is? How many tumblers?

Would have to be this weekend, though.

4 or 5 wafers, single sided. Not sure on the keyway, but it was huge. Thick enough to get my bypass tool and a hook in there side by side, so maybe a mm thick. Couldn’t shim it either, but I don’t know if wafer locks are shimable anyhow.

Give it about 72 hours before Reserving your seat but the class is back:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/13097