Lets talk about how to get more members and keep them

I was going to mention this a little later in the summer. But because it would be for next year but it is a project we could get possibly new members involved in. Consul is a nonprofit that helps with children in foster care and one of their big yearly fundraisers is for Casa playhouses that are displayed at NorthPark mall for a couple of weeks and then raffled off.

DMS could create the most wonderful over-the-top Play House complete with fittings. That anyone could imagine and people in almost every area could work on it. Stop and think for a second not just the playhouse itself but block printed wallpaper, a stained glass window a LED fireplace and dancing Christmas lights. A table with hand-thrown ceramic dishes and 3D printed food I can go on and on. Now we probably need to start discussing plans and such sometime in July for this this would be a great thing to get new people in on since at least the planning they donā€™t even have time to access right then they need ideas we need their brains. By the way I mention this one guy in the common room and somebody said oh yes we power it was solar panels on the roof. Wow not just a friendly house but one that is green as well. I am sure this is not the only thing but this is one thing

I think any of our project classes like the hats for the homeless are burp cloths for Gateway shelter are dog beds for shelters are also things that would attract new folks.

I am wondering if we need to talk about some classes that we could put on at 11 or noon on Saturdays that are primarily aimed at new members. Something that the tour guides are on Thursday night and say Hey Joy now and come Saturday and we can get you checked out on a sewing machine and you can help make hats for the homeless. I mean something I hook. So they come back to this place after they sign up and they start talking and meeting people. That will help with retaining members.

2 Likes

I have explored that path somewhat: The real challenge is that news organizations get hit up about 30 times a day with these ā€˜feel goodā€™ stories that are really just people wanting free advertising. There are LOTS of non profit orgs in the DFW area, and puppies are really cute.

5 Likes

We had talked for a while about expanding tours.

Having even a once a month Saturday tour day would likely go a long way toward finding those people who have a hard time with Thursday nights.

2 Likes

I think we should a show and tell once a month off campus ā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s a LOT of organization - place and time and people and things, when the vast majority of people are really going to need to SEE the space with their own eyes before committing to $60/month.

Anyone know why we dont have an online store to buy our t-shirts & such? Perhaps if we did an online store & did links to other makers items, we could help keep people happy.

6 Likes

DMS could renovate some kind of vehicle into a rolling DMS road show. Maybe call it the Space Bus. :rofl:

3 Likes

An online store would be a heck of a lot easier to manage than a volunteer led gift shop on site.

5 Likes

It is three or four people meeting up somewhere and showing off their stuff and talking about the space and when the tours are. Now that we have large format printers, we can even print a poster or sign or two. Doesnā€™t need to be complicated.

Puppies are really cute.

ā€œDallas Makerspace members make and donate 200 dog collars to local puppy rescueā€ - thereā€™s your headline!

6 Likes

Didnā€™t we donate christmas ornaments one year?

ā€¦ https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/update-website-added-christmas-already-donate-ornaments-to-a-non-profit-helping-the-community/43344

2 Likes

Here is another more puppy relatedā€¦

ā€¦ https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/volunteer-interest-converting-crates-to-dog-houses-for-a-good-cause/10975

2 Likes

What about an Etsy like store to benefit non-profits including us?

You can get cool stuff while supporting Education, Making and Makerspaces.

3 Likes

I really think this video speaks to what we are about ā€¦ even without any words ā€¦

By @Webdevel

4 Likes

Something interesting about this walk-though, is that there are several points where I walk between people or they just kind of flow around me while Iā€™m walking. It almost looks staged, but it wasnā€™t. It just happened to be good timing. Especially walking up on the laser as it finished etching the pencil.

3 Likes

AdWords, yeah thatā€™s what I meant.

Honestly, I have way too many personal challenges going on right now to commit to any big project for the DMS. I just figured Iā€™d throw in ideas that came to mind so people who really get into the issue could examine them further.

Did you ever get any data to say this is actually a problem?
What if a great artisan joined, was willing to teach ā€¦ gonna make them do so for free while another member who might even have lower skills say they wonā€™t do that?

I seriously doubt new members are the issue and will buy you a cold beverage if you produce real data to show Iā€™m incorrect.

2 Likes

We donā€™t restrict non-members from getting honorarium. In fact that really is a good reason to have honorariums: guest speakers and guest teachers.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have access to that data but have taken several classes from people who joined and immediately started teaching. The talented artisans could still eventbrite during that trial period or get sponsored by a longer term member. If teach for your membership is being advertised and is a problem that is one way to make sure they are as invested as the space as much as they are teaching.

Good thinking and good timing, I gave a tour to North Texas Community College on Wednesday. Iā€™ll reach out and see if they have any contacts in colleges that are closer.

4 Likes