LED Filament Based Bulbs

Anyone interested in buying some LED filaments to fiddle with? I’m sure many of you LED junkies have seen these but did want to pay $3/ea on eBay or break them out of some of the bulbs that are hitting the shelves at local stores.

Sample on Aliexpress 100x - $42

1w @ 50-75 V

1 Like

I’ll split the order with you lamp.

1 Like

I’d kick in as well. Would only want a couple to play with.

1 Like

I ordered 100 filaments, we’ll divvy up once they get here.

1 Like

I would like some as well. I am willing to get one fourth or one third into this.

1 Like

I would like around 10 to play with.

Are they powered like a regular LED or are they different?

…X…

1 Like

They are thin metal strips with 28 UV chips in series with a phosphor epoxy dip over them. Since they are in a series circuit it takes 50-75 volts DC at 10ma to light them up.

1 Like

Ahh. So they are different. Thank you for the info. Sounds manageable. I keep getting an urge to make “eyes” for my helmet, for night riding. Similar to Deadmau5…

I would love to make an array of individually addressed LEDs for the visor on one of my helmets, similar to above, but (~excuses~) .

Thus a few LED filaments would proof more manageble and posses a higher degree of completion, than the other idea mentioned above.

…X…

Edit: Last sentence, to add clarification.

They’re almost certainly the conventional white LED recipe - blue die with yellow phosphor - since attempts to emulate florescent recipe using UV die have not been terribly successful.

From what I’ve read about them, they’re moderately flexible in one plane, quite sensitive to overcurrent, of questionable long-term durability, and light consistency/quality is apt to be all over the place lot-to-lot. A common project seems to be to make large-scale 7-segment displays out of them with some care to ensure that they’re not overpoweringly bright.

The Filament LEDs have arrived. We got 100 pieces to try at first. They are from AliExpress.

@Nick has bought half of them (50), @amacha wants 25 ($10.50), @Awesomer wanted 10 ($4.20). Leaving me the remaining 15.

I will put them in the Electronics locker in the breakroom. You can send me payment via PayPal: [email protected] or put check/cash in an envelope in the locker.

Specs are: 10mA 75v 120LM/W CRI0.8 28 Chip Warm White Light Emitting Diodes

Example of driving them from Line Voltage (Note: UK 220V, not recommended) on YouTube:

4 Likes

Awesome!!! Thanks Lampy!

…X…

@Awesomer, @Nick & @amacha the filaments are in the electronics locker in the break-room. PM if you need the code, most people know it so ask your neighbor.

I will need the code. Earliest I will pick the filaments will be later this week. Again, Thanks!

…X…

The code is 369

Ken

I finally got around to powering up the filaments. They need to be driven with 75V DC since they are made up of 28 LED dies in series. Instead of building a potentially deadly circuit driven from AC Line Voltage, I found a Nixie Tube Driver on eBay for $9.25. It can be set to output various voltages from 45V to 190V DC with a simple resistor. Set mine to 150V to drive 2 filaments in series with 7 sets in parallel.

Pretty Bright! The PS was delivering 12.1V @ 0.47 amps. The boost circuit was outputting 148.7V @ .038 amps or around 6 watts.

Closeup through sunglasses.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to build some cool things with these!!!

2 Likes

You need to build and RC Truck/Jeep and you can use these for a top lightbar, or ground effects.

They are really small for that, but I have a 1/18th scale truck it would look sick on.
http://www.rcplanet.com/1059-tm_thickbox_default/Losi_Mini_Desert_Truck_1_18_RTR_Blue.jpg

Side not still waiting on the spot welder, I have an idea for some cool looking bulbs made from these leds and the rolled out copper flat wire.

Ar least we should make a clock that is readable in daylight.

4 Likes