Leather Working Class

Thank you very much sir, is there a tool rental fee and how much is the fee for the class. Could you point me in the right direction on where to get leatherworking tools nothing top dollar or anything working on a very very tight budget.

First, most of the tools I buy are from Tandy. I wait for sales, but you
can check them out on the web at tandyleatherfactory.com. There are
several stores in DFW. Next I would look on Ebay or Craigslist. Second,
there is NO fee for tool rental of leathworking tools at DMS as long as you
are a member. Lastly, the intro leather working class is free. The other
classes I teach I usually just charge for the cost of the materials that CA
has paid for the leather kits.

I hope this information helps you.

Very much so sir, how do I go about becoming a member

To prevent any misunderstanding, DMS tools are only for use on premises. They are not to be checked out and taken home.

Sir would it be okay for me to attend the class on May 9 at 7pm.

Forgot to add this part is it okay if I pay the 10 dollar fee in person instead of online

https://dallasmakerspace.org/join/
Copied and pasted from the right hand side of that page:

Sign-Up Process

1. (Optional) Make a donation to the Maker Fellowship Fund.
  2. Sign up for monthly or yearly dues.
  3. Attend a Thursday meeting to go through the new member process described in the welcome e-mail to get your key.
    4 . Show commitment, have ideas, and get involved!

On a side note, you donā€™t HAVE to wait for a Thursday meeting to do the key card thing from Step 3 above. You can come in anytime someone is available (someone is usually here, but calling ahead or posting here to make arrangements are not bad ideas) to let you sign & file your waiver as well as your key request. Here is the process for that:

This, and other helpful information can be found here: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/New_Member_411

If you want to join, and you are coming in for a class anyway, you will be signing the waiver and could do the keycard thing at the same timeā€¦

Yes. Just bring your $10 to class.

If I bring some heavy leather and a knife that needs a sheath, well it is dagger, Would this class be helpful? I have made a sheath before but then the knife cut my sewing. I think I need a shim in it. Or would this be better suited to one of the work sessions?

I think it would be better to be a part of a work session. We are going to focus on the knife sheath kit from Tandy. Iā€™ve made lots of different style sheaths though so maybe Iā€™ll teach another class sometime on cutting from a pattern. We will not be cutting leather in the class.

The answer to your question though is to create a knife sheath insert of nylon or kydex. You could also expand the sheath a little and use cement along the stitched seam to reinforce the stitches.

@coloneldan

I just signed up for this class. Would the Tandy kit your using be suitable for this knife

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Classic-Handle-Utility-4-2-Inch/dp/B004D6H1WC?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It came with a plastic sheath, which seems sacrilegious to me. :slight_smile:

Ok, I will add it to my list of leather project for the work nights. My show season is over, so I should be able to get to more work nights and such.

This is what the Tandy kit knife sheath looks like. It accommodates a knife with up to a 7 1/2" blade.

The small kit is up to a 5" blade ā€¦look like:

Those pics are of completed and tooled and finished kits, obviously. You can tool and/or dye them, or not, to your tasteā€¦the design is not already laid out on the leather or anything in the kit, so they leave it up to you. I believe Dan said he was planning on doing the large sheath with basket weave tooling in his upcoming class.

@Cairenn_Day, for daggers, I usually wet-mold leather sheaths to protect the stitching. Not everybody likes the rigidity of Kydex, but you can use thinner leather on a Kydex hybrid. Kydex is a thermoplastic and it does require being heat molded around your knife. If you opt to reinforce with cement, just be careful to keep the glue out of your stitching line as pricking or sewing through the glue is a pain.

I have several daggers that need new sheaths, 2 of them are made from railroad spikes.

Walter, I believe the knife kit is like the one Bitta showed here. We will be doing almost exactly the same kind of stamping, too. This is the Tandy page describing the knife: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/large-knife-sheath-kit

Dan -

Tools are ordered and coming to the DMS address. Please if anyone sees a tandy box within the next few days please put it in the CA room hopefully the leather cabinet - bonus points label it FOR DAN!
Kisses