Leather Working Class

I have seen that there is some interest in a leather working class and since no one has volunteered to teach one, and I have experience in leather working, I guess I will have to teach a Intro to leather working class at some point in the near future.
I would like to get some feed back as to what other leather working skills and project types to cover in additional classes.
Examples of class types I could teach are, knife sheath and pouch making, leather mask making, leather armor making, purse and bag making, etc.
What would y’all like to see taught?
Leather tooling/embossing is one thing that I am not great at and would need someone else to teach.

1 Like

I’d be most interested in basics:
Leather selection: types and appropriate uses thereof, sources, etc.
joining (sewing/stitching, snaps installation, etc.)
hole punching / cutting
and finally
automotive interior refinishing for the beginner.
:smiley:

I have little interest in “embellishment”, e.g. embossing/tooling.
Thank you for asking!

I could possibly help with a quick show and tell of how I made my custom netbook briefcase if there was interest.

7 Likes

That kind of thing is of interest. Was it a “kit” or made from “scratch”?
Either way, nice piece of kit.

From scratch. Some build photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8829589@N06/sets/72157625825998202

2 Likes

Hi @Mars42 and all,

I’m very interested in leather working; in fact, it was one of the reasons why I joined the Makerspace yesterday, hoping to find some of you folks!

I think all of the aforementioned suggestions are fantastic; it would be especially cool to learn how to make a simple purse or messenger bag. A friend of mine recently began experimenting with small pouches and slowly graduated to larger handbags. She even made a pair of sandals, working with prefabricated rubber soles!

At this stage, I’m not too concerned with leather embossing, but it would be awesome to learn that later down the line. :slight_smile:

I also would be interested in leather working, for me a beginning course would be much appreciated. I have a lot of tools (ran across a really-good-too-good-to-pass–I’ll-need-it-someday deal on eBay, actually several deals, I tend to get carried away.

FYI I really have tried to get a teacher out here for leather. I called Tandy to see if we could get a teacher to come out - no success, I even hit up people I found on local etsy - no success. Creative arts is very willing to purchase supplies to get the core of the program off the ground… @hardsuit let’s talk bout what you need.

I’d have to think about it a bit, and also get some feedback from people about what specifically they’d want to learn. If it was a full build of some kind of leather wrapped case/box, there’s actually a fair amount of woodworking involved as well.

Ok understood - if you know anyone please throw them our way

I would be interested in taking the class, and actually wanted to take some classes from Tandy, but did not have the time. They just opened a new store on 377 in Watauga near me in Keller. I will see if I can take some classes and Help to teach as well. I have a project that I would like to work on and bought some spare black pieces that I can donate to the group to practice on. Want to make a sculpting tool carrier or possibly some small saddle bags for a motorcycle. I would sign up for a class and help teach with the very limited knowledge that I have. Let me know when is good for everyone.

There are a bunch of classes on Tandy’s website and online, if anything we could get together and just watch the ones they have to learn on our own together! :smiley:

Anyone interested in a Field trip to Watauga next weekend?

I am intending to go to the the basic tooling class. Will talk to the instructor to see if there is any interest in teaching at DMS. Let me know if anyone is going to join?

http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/home/infoandservices/leathercraft-classes/leathercraft-classes.aspx#Fort-Worth-TX-North

Fort Worth, TX (North) Leathercraft Classes

August 8th: Custom Holster Class
Cost: $40.00 per person includes material.
In this class our experienced instructor will walk you through making a holster from scratch. You will learn to trace your handgun, cut leather and assemble your holster. This is an intermediate class and open to anyone interested, from beginner to experienced. We will not be tooling or dyeing. Please bring your hand gun to class UNLOADED and check in with manager when arriving.

August 15th: Basic Tooling Class
Cost: Retail $10.00 Club Member Free. Basic seven kit required. Learn the basics of how to tool leather. All skill levels are welcome. You will be creating a floral scroll piece that showcases the basic tooling techniques. You will also learn tracing techniques, shading leather using tools in your basic seven kit, tool care and how to care for and sharpen your swivel knife.

August 22nd: Open Forum
Cost: Free
Here is a great opportunity to bring in one of your unfinished projects for expert advice from one of our experienced leather crafters. You can also come in buy a kit and get guidance on assembly techniques. This is an open forum and our instructor will be here between the hours of 10:00 am and noon to answer and guild you through your project.

August 29th: Guitar Strap Class
Cost: Retail $25.00 Club Member $20.00
Join us in assembling one of our most popular kits, the Guitar Strap Kit. Our experienced instructor will guide you through assembling, tooling and staining you very own custom guitar strap. Class includes Guitar Strap Kit and dyes and colors to finish it. Please bring your own carving tools if you wish to put a design on your Guitar Strap. You may also purchase Conchos or other items to add to your Guitar Strap at an additional expense.

Space for all classes is limited. Please pre-register by contacting store.
All classes begin at 10 am unless otherwise stated.

Please contact the store for additional information:
[email protected]
Phone: 817-503-2318
Toll Free: 866-322-8965
6900 Denton Hwy #101
Watauga, TX 76148

I have no problem teaching an introduction to leather working class. However it will be about a month before my schedule clears up.
I can easily cover basic tools, leather types, intro to stitching, creating a project from scratch and patterning, intro to leather forming and mask making, riveting and and embellishments, etc.
I will try to put a class on the schedule soon. In the mean time feel free to message me if you have any leather working questions.
Elijah

2 Likes

Awesome! Will keep an eye out for the class. If you wouldn’t mind replying again when you are ready to post the class that would be great. Thanks!

Follow-up: Just rooted around and found some of the leather tools I’ve never used. I have 30+ or so various stamping/lacing punch tools, a couple swivel knifes (had research what the heck these were), some pliers for punching holes, a nipper, some grommets w/sets, etc. I could bring for use.

We have the leather mallets in the CA cart already. Will continue to dig, I know I have some more stuff somewhere, but the above I’ve actually put my hands on today. Have a box of belt buckles somewhere (garage sale deal too good to pass … you know how that goes).

1 Like

I’m going to the space today and I will try to remember to take a photo of all the tools we have. I also have some tools (garage sale find) that I haven’t touched in a year. After that we can see what we need to get to have a class.

I’ve been working in leather for a number of years but don’t consider myself an expert by any means. I’d be happy to teach a basic class if people are interested. It is pretty easy to build things like key fobs, belts, or wallets. Purchases, brief cases, portfolios, shoes and costumes are a little more difficult.

Hand stitching is certainly a good skill to learn, but it would be awesome to have a leather stitching machine at DMS. I’ve hand stitched a number of things and it is pretty easy just time consuming. Over the years I’ve accumulated a number of stamps and other tools I could bring to show. I’d like to look over the tools at DMS so I can decide what I need to bring.

1 Like

2nd Follow-up: More digging, found some leather patterns for belts, purse, small hand bag. Also zippers, snaps, twist locks, for the purses the person who originally bought the “Tandy Craft” patterns.

I just submitted a class for approval for a basic leathercraft class at 7:00PM Wednesday August 26th. The agenda is an introduction to tools, materials and techniques.

If we have time I have some key fobs we can tool. The more stamps, mallets and tools the better.

3 Likes