Lease Space for a new Makerspace

I thought that I had read that there might be a hunt for a new lease space. If so has anyone thought aobbut / looked in to the old Chevy dealership just up on 35?
Just a thought as I was driving by.
thanks,
Woody

1 Like

They are going to tear those buildings down. :frowning:

I believe that TXDOT already owns it for the next expansion.

Large swaths of the west side of 35 have been eminent domain’ed or otherwise acquired for expansion.

1 Like

We have our realtor submitting possible sites that come available right now within a 1 mile radius and a couple of miles.

If you see something, like the dealership, please bring it up even though it turns out it may not be available or desirable for some reason. More eyes and possibilities are helpful.

Thanks for the input.

5 Likes

Is anyone looking at the McKesson building at 1220 Senlac? 1.5 blocks from our current location.

1220 Senlac Drive Flyer.pdf (488.6 KB)

USTXCT01_Model (1 and 2) clean (1).pdf (194.3 KB)

File0007 A100.pdf (472.6 KB)

USTXCT01_02 Model (1) b&w.pdf (651.5 KB)

USTXCT01_01 Model (1) b&w.pdf (838.1 KB)

4 Likes

How about moving to Far North Dallas or South Plano? :slight_smile:

Lots of empty space in south Plano near Independence and 15th.

2 Likes

Yes it is 6.2 Million which is something we can’t afford.

1 Like

As a Richardson resident, I’m with you!

1 Like

I swear I saw this thread weeks ago… am I going crazy or is Discourse?

That’s a weird way to spell traffic.

5 Likes

Sorry if it’s been asked but I couldn’t find any thread on it

No problem I was just having a crazy sense of deja vu… turns out the mention of a dealership triggered my memory of this thread

1 Like

Have we looked at applying for grants or city help for this?

1 Like

Ideally, I’d say some where near our current location us, bounded by 35E, 635, and 161. This provides easy access for a lot of places and would have minimal impact on current membership.

1 Like

I want a city government that is friendly to us.

Which means I would prefer to be out of Carrollton. The Fire Marshall BS.

I would like to be in Dallas or Farmer’s Branch or Lewisville(maybe).

Not really looking to deal with Plano traffic.

I hate to say it, but for as non traditional as we are, there is a lot of room for fire marshal relations to be worse.

5 Likes

We’d only have to go south of Valwood to be in Farmers Branch.

@Diplomat The Fire Marshall, just one official, is not reflective of the City of Carrollton. I doubt anyone has approached them about the our difficulty with him and resolving the matter. On the other hand, I have not heard of the City wanting to visit our Space and learn about how much good we are building the community. That’s a great task for someone on PR to task :smile:

@Photomancer Farmers Branch has traditionally not reflected the inclusive nature of the community we cherish. That is why they were a no-go on our hunt for this Space.

Maybe that is changing. I hope so. But if it has not, we need to continue to protect our membership in an inclusive municipal society.

5 Likes

I would prefer that they are not worse. That is a goal we should not want to reach.

Do we have any contacts within Carrollton? I would be happy to gently reach out to them and work on our relationship. A tour for city officials is always a great starting point. The post audit “value” of DMS is another item.

We bring in lots of non-Carrollton folks, gasoline, Tanners, breakfast, lunch, and dinner money. We probably help the local economy by 2x to 4x the revenue of DMS.

I have been told that both FB and Lewisville are going to be friendlier to us than Carrollton. The Carrollton Fire Marshall is a known “challenge”.

1 Like