Lease Space for a new Makerspace

I think we should try the honey approach. I’m sure that there are multiple was to engage with the city to show the benefits of makerspace.

A special invitation could be sent to the city council for the Thursday night tour or special more formal tour that highlights some projects that have the members have done.

With the creative talents and capabilities I’m sure a visible presence can be made to get involved in with local charities and events, ie , build booths for local fairs & events, carnival games, and custom charity donation pieces for raffle & give away’s.
Maybe the CFD & CPD have local events that we could help out with a little volunteer time and using our production capabilities.
anyway it’s early and my head isn’t on straight yet but it’s just my thoughts.
Thanks,
Woody

1 Like

Would we like a visit from the Carrollton City Council? If someone would send me a brief on what we would like to show the city I would be more than happy to hand carry it to Mayor Falconer and invite them to tour our Space… I’d mention before about approaching the city about our needs. While the city itself is not going to give us much there are some nice contacts and friends of friends to be had.

1 Like

What about these meetings? Anyone working the symbiotic-business angle of seeking space?

Might also provide networking opportunities for Carrollton, Addison, Farmer’s Branch city councils/local politics…

1 Like

Addison is big on the whole startup incubator thing.

http://www.addisontreehouse.com/

3 Likes

Working on it!!! The FB mayor is coming soon followed by the Carrollton mayor (hopefully)

5 Likes

I can agree with @zmetzing on this. I work in Southlake and live at the apartments by the Dart station in Farmers Branch (35 & 635). This is one of the easiest commutes I’ve had. A drive to South Plano is far worse, I don’t even like doing that from where I live, I’d rather drive to Southlake.

1 Like

If a heads up could be given to the committee chairs before ‘Special Visitors’ swing by, that would be cool. Some areas are pretty much always snazzy and I have great envy of those, but Fired Arts is still a challenge to keep clean and tidy (working on it!). If I have a bit of warning I can give the area a quick once over and maybe have someone there doing a low-key demo. I don’t want to be disingenuous, but there is a benefit to showing at least an average day rather than chancing a worst day. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve been really impressed with the transition of your space!
Looks awesome and it’s going to be so functional.
Someday really soon I’ll have time to get into the committee

5 Likes

It could also provide an opportunity to have some of the better or more creative projects displayed or a slide show produce that could be running on various displays around the space. I do believe that we have a digital media group that may enjoy producing such a project. :wink:
Thanks!

2 Likes

if it helps, there are quite a few buildings over in arlington that might fit DMS. if you guys want, let me know and i’ll find out the details

I live in Arlington (east side 360 near GM Plant), and a move that far would be extremely disruptive to all members north and east of current location.

I personally believe the goal should be as minimally disruptive to current membership as possible: we have supported and built the current Dallas Makerspace so considerable deference should be given to us. I don’t consider this selfish, we are acknowledging past and continued future support of our members.

There is a wide range of opinions on this, but that’s my view.

12 Likes

I generally agree with keeping the DMS location within a couple miles of where it is now. I recently moved from Arlington to Allen. DMS is pretty much equidistant between both of those locations, so I can still justify making it out every so often, but if it were in Arlington (a city I never want to live in again) I’d never be able to justify the commute.

That said, given the construction and general pain associated with 35E right now, shifting a couple miles east or west along 635 would be a good thing in itself. Not to mention it could alleviate some of the political issues.

1 Like

I live in Oak Cliff, south of the zoo and if it is not traffic tiem the drive is about 20 min for us
Staying close to 35 is important

From many years of being in clubs and holding meetings and classes at night has shown me
that for most folks they tend to have a limit of about 45 min on a work night for a 2 hr meeting
or class Unless that is your passion We are not that far from The Bush toll rd for those
comign from the Plano area, now that is pricey, but it will save time, I hate paying tolls, but
I have doen that when I need to cut my drive time With me it is was most often the Dallas North
toolway, or the toll bridge over Mountain creek lake

@Diplomat There are less to no issues with traffic in south Plano than the constant construction and poor drivers using 35 as a main artery through the cities :wink: Lots of parking and lots of great shopping nearby!

1 Like

I actually work at a lab that does explosion testing in Plano. I’m told that our company moved here from elsewhere in DFW specifically because the fire marshall was a bit kinder to that sort of thing.

3 Likes

Ummmmm can we come watch the explosion testing?
We will bring snacks!

7 Likes

Lol, unfortunately everything we do is under NDA since its not on the market yet, so no.

Its not usually very flashy or exciting, only when there’s a failure (which isn’t often). This is a pretty good video that explains the process.

1 Like

Still- you win the cool job high five of the day

6 Likes

I knew a guy who once had to make a blood gun, to test surgical/medical PPE. Like a pig blood supersoaker on steroids.

Still, blowing things up wins, I think.

4 Likes

Seems to me like you need a “will it blow” youtube channel…

3 Likes