Laser + powder coating + milling = beautiful faceplates for machines

These are absolutely lovely and DMS has everything needed to make them.

6 Likes

Ya got beat to the punch…

Indeed. Mostly I was thinking that these would be cool to add to some of the DMS equipment and wanted to a) bookmark the idea and b) stimulate some thinking on the subject. I’m glad I’m not the only one who found the idea cool.

1 Like

Ok, that’s about the coolest project i’ve seen in a long time. Would love to try this out. I can help with the graphics. Would need @nicksilva to help with the outline cutoffs on the HAAS (or wait till I finish my certification which may still be a bit).

Would be really cool to make a bunch of these in bulk once we get the process down. I’m totally up for doing a group weekend project or a couple of weeknights.

I may just run down to the space tonight and at least try the first few steps on a brass plate and the lacquer layer. Will get a good idea of what it would look like at least.

3 Likes

Love this!
So many applications!

Just some ideas I was playing with… I know… These first 2 may be more suited to Woodworking but again, i’m just messing around.

58 AM

53 AM

5 Likes

I like it! It wouldn’t take much to make it a little less woodsy and a little more machiney …

machine shop nameplate ideas

4 Likes

That’s some nice, eye catching design work!

1 Like

What about adding a tail-stock-like thingy on the right side so there is also the soupçon of a lathe involved? The Makerspace “M” part already reminds me of a head stock, and of course there is the end mill accent.

Of course, sometimes, less is more…

1 Like

Great modification John. I’ll make a version like this.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments @mblatz. I’ll give that a shot.