Laser Expansion Layout Ideas

@sixvolts Some possible idea for laser buildout for your consideration, it will likely be 6-9 months before laser actually moves but might as well post some ideas now.

Laser is going to be more than tripling in floorspace, the biggest part of this idea is doubling the number of Thunder lasers we have to address the queue / member waiting issue, which will only grow worse and worse over time if DMS attracts more members due to the expansion. Purchase two more of the smaller thunders ($7k each) and one more of the large thunders ($14k) to exactly double the number of thunder lasers. In addition to the cost of the lasers it would be around $7,000 for computers / monitors and misc connections. That would be $35,000. In 6 months laser will have a balance of over $71k, so this idea would only cost half of laser funds.

All of the tables shown would leave room for future spending on other laser types or a desktop water jet such as https://www.wazer.com/

Laser makes $3,500 - $4,000 per month in usage fee + honorariums, it would take less than 2 months to fund a new smaller thunder, and with less waiting and more usage the amount made in usage fees should increase somewhat.

Each laser would have the PC for controlling it at the laser itself, an monitor / keyboard arm would either be mounted to the laser body itself or a steel support structure right next to the laser.

Each pair of lasers would share a HF 2HP 120v blower, is a good solution to support the 500cfm at 6" wc static pressure per laser requirement. The wiring and contactors would be setup exactly

The 3 tan boxes are 4’x8’ heavy duty work tables that would cost $360 a piece to build ourselves

Not shown in the diagram is the zing which would be on a table in the bottom left of the schematic, it would tie in to that blower the same way as it does now

There would be 4 8" roof penetrations needed, 3 shown in the diagram and one for future expansion in a symmetrical place where the work tables are drawn.

5 Likes

On the back wall (painted to be accent wall) could be pegboard with laser area specific tools and a vertical scrap storage area on the wall as well.

1 Like

Would this setup allow the possibility of using the pass-through doors of the lasers?

@merissa had asked to see this a few days ago.
My apologies. Juggling lots of stuff right now, by way of feeble excuse.
Typing quickly to get this all out…

This month, the committee voted unanimously to submit the above layout to @Team_Expansion.
All Expansion wanted was an answer to one question “Where do we put the electrical drops and what types?”
Simple for many committees. No so for us.
We were faced with two huge unknowns that caused delays: where do the blowers go relative to the lasers and the roof penetrations? what size blowers?

@Kriskat30 came up with a location in the warehouse for the blowers that would prevent the room from becoming a noise drum. She was brilliant.
@John_Marlow offered up an engineer and solved the closet problem. She was brilliant.

Only with that freedom provided by those two were we able to move forward and…

• resolve issues present in our current layout: access to the rear of the equipment, room for students, material storage, tool and supply storage, worktables.
  • and adding new lasers.

CO2 bottle is in wrong location.
The Zing will be removed from the ducts and placed on a portable HEPA filter.
A Nova 51 will take the pressure off of Big Thunder.
There is room for at Nova 35 or smaller (labeled “TBD Laser”).
Amenities are as important as lasers: maintenance corridor, student seating, storage, whiteboards (our main option for communicating with members as most are not on Talk), worktables. We basically pre-grew when we bought the two Nova 35s.

Team Expansion has already had it in their hands (because they were on the same design thread as those of us working on the layout), along with our electrical needs (early spreadsheet), and has given it to an engineer to perform the airflow calculations and size the blowers.
They have taken the added step of flipping the orientation such that the main wall of lasers is on the north side, a fire wall.
They are aware of the column on the north wall.
I do not have time to up date the drawing. For that I apologize.

All of that said…this layout could change if the engineer comes back with an “are you all out of your minds?”

9 Likes

Instead of students bringing chairs to class from wherever, would it make more sense for Laser to purchase eight stacking or folding chairs and store them in the extreme lower-right corner of the layout when class is not in session?

Or better, use them to block “public” access to the 4 foot utility corridor at the hallway end?

3 Likes

Here is a rendering of that layout

4 Likes

@Brandon_Green can you flip it so it matches Stephenie’s comment on orientation?

1 Like

@Brandon_Green I am so glad you are doing this!
I hate to trouble you (cringes) …

• Would you be so kind as to add the a Nova 35+desk as a “TBD Laser” placeholder between the shelving and the Zing?
  • And the overtable (under which two short rolling cabinets will live) which appears in the lower left hand of the layout?
  • And add the column on the north wall?
  • And flip the layout?

please oh please

@Bill such a simple solution. Thank you.

Great idea, @Bill. Or maybe flat-pack benches?

honestly, this seems like a great idea for several areas throughout the 'Space.

What she said.

4 Likes

How 'bout folding benches, so’s you can re-flat pack 'em?

Might want to check the weight limit on those…

I guess I assumed the flat -pack benches could be reflattenized? But I’ve never owned one…

1 Like

Duck duck go…
dubya ee eye gee ache tee space ell eye…
:rofl:
Good point. Did not do…

ADDING: where is this kind of overkill in a folding bench, eh?

ADDING2: closer…

Wow only 300lb limit on a bench that big. That’s like only enough for 4-5 10 year olds.

2 Likes

Chairs please. An hour class with no back support would not be fun.

2 Likes

Some of the flat-pack benches have backs integrated into them, but, yeah…the more I think about it, the more I think they would be not quite easy enough to set-up/break-down and/or versatile enough. I like the idea that everyone can go get their own chair, take it where they need it, and then put it back.

2 Likes

All of the tables shown would leave room for future spending on other laser types or a desktop water jet

A Waterjet came up at the last metal shop committee meeting. I think given the need for a water source and use of abrasives and that it’s for cutting metal, It’s likely better suited in metal shop since they deal with all of those things already. @hon1nbo have any comments? Wazer’s machine looks cool. I’d love to play with one, but I’d vote it lives somewhere else since it’s so it’s so different.

As for new machines for Laser, in addition to a Nova51, I’d love to see something with faster raster times, and maybe a fiber laser. There’s lots of machines to choose from, but I think it would be awesome for us to get another Epilog. It wouldn’t require much new training for Zing users and we could continue offering two laser classes (thunder and zing/big epilog) rather than having to add a third class for a new type of machine. They offer a machine that has a dual CO2 and fiber laser inside the same chassis that comes with a 32x20" bed size. They are pricey, but it would add fiber and faster rastering for larger items in the same machine.

https://www.epiloglaser.com/laser-machines/fusion-laser-series.htm

2 Likes

I know DMS members enough to know those chairs will wind up taking residence in Laser unless somebody returns them home. So might as well get them to begin with.

A small set of stackable chairs that could be stored out of the way?

Could keep with the aluminum chair style and get some stackable ones like this.

4 Likes

I like the idea of another Epilog as well. Preferably the larger one with the rotary attachment.

1 Like