Laser Expansion Layout Ideas

This is all in onshape, anyone can view this online (or with a free account fork and edit) this file

Could easily export all the laser shapes to an stl files (just select parts in left side then right click and export) and 3d print it at 1:50 scale (would be 9.6") if you wanted a model with pieces to move around

If the blowers are still going to be remotely located where the vertical wood storage is today that would be almmost 100 feet of ducting to suck the exhaust through for the furthest thunder 35, which would be less than ideal

6 Likes

biggest issue with water jets is they take a lot of power and a lot to maintain. We decided against the idea. Even the current plasma is actually a water capture table we converted to Downdraft, because changing the water was such a hassle it never got done (whilst it was before my time, the word is that it was so bad Mosquitoes would form).

-Jim

I also gather the requirement to continuously feed them abrasive media makes for costly operation.

ahem
tell me we are not off-topic, dear Makers

2 Likes

Build our own?

3 Likes

This is sort of an off-the-wall comment, but when I went to the Epilog showroom ā€œopen houseā€ in Arlington a couple of months ago, they showed me a sample of vinyl cuts done on their laser. No ā€œweedingā€ with a sharp pointy object when creating a vinyl transfer with really fine detail. Given discussion in Creative Arts about the vinyl cutter there, perhaps there is a coop solution here?

(and forgive me if the above comments are common knowledge/old news. Newby here who hasnā€™t read through all the TALK rabbit holes yetā€¦)

2 Likes

Vinyl is #1 on the no-cut materials list as it emits chlorine gas when cut. https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials

1 Like

Welcome! Always glad to see new folks.

As @skwurl mentioned, we canā€™t do proper vinyl on the laser because it contains PVC, which produces gases that can damage the lens and humans. I imagine the folks in Arlington (engraving concepts?) were using a laser-safe vinyl-alike material. Curious to know what material it was.

Always welcome to input from others, CA included. Right now weā€™re just exploring options for a new machines and nothing has been decided.

1 Like

Found this on the epilogue site.
https://www.epiloglaser.com/resources/sample-club/applique-cutting-laser.htm

Huh. Id be curious as to the pros and cons of using the laser versus the vinyl cutter would be.

The key wordsā€¦ā€™PVC freeā€¦ā€™

No vinyl on the Lasers. Donā€™t even want members trying to guess about it. Chlorine gas is what they used (use) to kill people in war. When in doubt, read the MSDS. No MSDS available? Donā€™t laser it.

Did they raster away the unwanted parts? That seems like a time consuming, thus expensive, use of laser time. As much as I hate weeding vinyl, Iā€™d still rather do that then pay for hours of laser time.

This was a design they showed me that was a transfer executed on the laser. For size comparison, that t-shirt was for a toddler. The imprint itself was maybe 3-4 inches in diameter. That would be a BEAR to weed.

For the average vinyl cut, Iā€™d tend to agree with you, though. The print shop at my former employers does vinyl for the transportation Dept to install on school buses. Time-consuming due to the size of the job (18x24 sheets filled with numerals) but not a laser-appropriate job.