Laser Cut Sheetmetal Pattern

I am in need of laser assistance, please!

Is it possible to laser cut 0.016 sheet brass?

If not, can someone assist with cutting a vinyl decal to be used as a sheet-metal layout template?

This is my (potential) first laser project and assistance is greatly appreciated!

Of course,I will cover cost and need to know if vinyl is available for purchase at DMS and if not, where & what to purchase.

The lasers can’t cut metal, not even 0.016" thick metal.

Vinyl is also generally on the no-go list because certain types will release chlorine when cut which can quickly corrode the rails.

Creative arts has a vinyl cutter that might do what you need.

3 Likes

How large a sheet do you need to cut?

You might try photo-etching. Messier, but very accurate. If you use dry film photoresist (Amazon item) you can expose the film with UV (several minutes of direct sunlight will work) “develop” (clean really) with a mild caustic solution (1~3% Sodium Carbonate) and etch with Ferric Chloride. All of this is available on Amazon.

851507.pdf (1.8 MB)

Dry-Film-Photopolymer-for-making-circuit-boards.pdf (460.9 KB)

1 Like

There are a bazillion YouTube and Instructable links for this. Here’s one:

You can put blue tape onto wax paper and laser cut that. Peel off the wax paper and then use the blue tape as your template. Make sure you account for laser kerf with your cutting vectors unless you don’t need that precision.

EDIT: You might be able to use the wide laser masking “tape”/film that’s next to the Fusion laser; put it onto the laser sticky side up and cut that as your layout template. Remember to flip the image if you do that.

1 Like