Laser Banned Materials Question

Someday we might have the resources for a dedicated culinary laser to delicately engrave intricate patterns on cake, brand steaks, selectively spot-cook pancakes before the topside starts to cook in such a fashion as to engineer never-before seen patterns, and etch perfect grill marks on hotdogs using a bespoke laser rotisserie.

But we don’t right now.

1 Like

@lukeiamyourfather is fond of saying, “Don’t make us make rules”, but the truth is that when members get power, it is their first instinct. Any query it seems, leads to a new rule.

So a member shows a video of a pizza getting cut in a Thunder Laser; and it immediately engenders a new rule!

Luke’s advise is predictive, if you listen to the intuition. “Do not make us make rules”, don’t ask them permission to cut pizzas in the Lasers. If you want to see if a Laser can cut a pizza, just do it. If you break a lens, pay for it. The alternative is to have Space officers constantly creating restricting regulations to prevent creativity, development, and ingenuity. This is the way that government helps us!

Grace_Hopper

1 Like

Translation: “If you want to see if a Committee can rain hellfire down upon an asinine Laser user, “Just do It”.

4 Likes

ex post facto

Still counts,

Hey if no one had asked, we wouldn’t have a rule against it.

I too would rather deal with things on a case by case basis. But if you demand clarification, we’ll make rules.

1 Like

The list of materials on the Do Not Cut list are there because of either danger to self or machine, like creating mustard gas or more smoke than cut. All the items have been sourced, debated and reviewed. Some a few times.

Why the restriction on foods? Is it safety or mess? We have done tortillas (engraving a face of someone) and pumpkins for halloween.

Is the new restriction for foods to be later eaten? Is it for all biologicals except vegitan leather?

1 Like

You guys do know this was a joke right?
Are we really making new rules because of pizza

3 Likes

Your OP doesn’t read like a joke. Neither does your reply to my initial response where you seek additional replies from ‘Laser’s authorized leadership’ on the matter. If, at the end of all this, you’re claiming it’s all been a joke, then it comes off as trolling, and ultimately a waste of peoples’ time.

3 Likes

Actually, “ex post facto” rulings are prohibited by the Constitution.

When English Kings ruled the USA, they would make up laws after an American had done something which wasn’t previously prohibited, and then make the law retro-active. Ex Post Facto is a foundation to the Constitution., and says that you can’t punish someone for a law that was made after the fact.

Tyrants who violate ex post facto, are considered unrepentant, and summarily dismissed nowadays.

Considering we are not a governmental org…

Haven’t people used the lasers to cut baked gingerbread for fancy gingerbread houses here before?
I know pizza and gingerbread are different but I think don’t put food in the Laser is a bad rule.

Don’t cut things that would make a mess of the laser is a good rule.

But I am now interested in laser engraving the face of Jesus on to a bunch of foods. Bread, Tortillas, Chips, etc…:grin:

I’ve eaten a laser engraved tortilla, it was… not great. :rofl:

But was it not terrible?

It was technically edible.

That’s the worst kind of edible

3 Likes

Pumpkin pie was particularly bad too. Looked pretty though.

Given the fumes and powders left behind from the lasering process of earlier jobs, I would not consider ANY food simply SET the laser to no longer be safe to eat, regardless of whether the laser was fired or not.

5 Likes

Exactly. There are far more concerns with the ingestion of lasered foodstuffs (and food placed inside the laser) than the potential for damage to the lasers.

That said, why monkey around with a >$15,000 machine?