Laser Banned Materials Question

I swear I saw on here a people have cut pies and pumpkins right? (Not saying it’s a good/bad idea but I have vague memories of it)

1 Like

I think people have also done tortillas as well (I did back in my school days).

Sadly we can’t make a rule for every type of food so if people are going to demand we draw the line the best choice is simply no food.

3 Likes

shrug seems like it should be case by case than an oppressively restrictive blanket statement. Obviously the answer here is don’t put pizza in the laser. Others have (I think?) Cut pie and tortillas and pumpkins without issue.

But I generally don’t favor ‘punish everyone for one person’s mistake’. Guy saw silly thing online, was told no, done.

1 Like

If you plan on eating it, you shouldn’t be putting it in anyone but a freshly cleaned laser anyway. Between the cleaning time and money spent on laser time, would it be worth it?

Also if this post wasn’t spawned by the recent viral laser pizza cutting video, you’re welcome, Google it to satisfy your curiosity.

No idea of source etc., but just FYI: The best use for a laser yet

I agree with a blanket, but I think it should be a “requires special permission” kind of blanket if we can.

1 Like

Don’t make us make rules.

4 Likes

Can we get a Laser Tortilla Approved AD Group made?
I want to be like a young Bayern

There go my plans for cutting fruit rollups into custom shapes.

1 Like

At Ladybird someone did human flesh for a laser tattoo. Just because it was done doesn’t mean it was approved to be done. Nor does it mean it was a good idea (FYI: it wasn’t - very painful and stinky!)

#noitwasntme

Interesting, no food.

Hershey’s researches how to make food with 3D manufacturing. They print chocolate.

I can see an interesting research avenue in using CO2 laser machines to fine print in organic molecules. Say for instance, there is liquid egg white in a pan. A complex laser pattern is printed, by cooking the egg white with the Laser. Then more egg white is added, or the cooked portion is submerged under more egg white, and the next layer is printed. This could get interesting. The French are revered for their genius in the Culinary Arts, and in their willingness to pay huge sums for novelty food stuffs.

Also, could you imagine the Easter Eggs you could make on the rotary tool? They might rival Faberge.

Someday we might have the resources for a dedicated culinary laser to delicately engrave intricate patterns on cake, brand steaks, selectively spot-cook pancakes before the topside starts to cook in such a fashion as to engineer never-before seen patterns, and etch perfect grill marks on hotdogs using a bespoke laser rotisserie.

But we don’t right now.

1 Like

@lukeiamyourfather is fond of saying, “Don’t make us make rules”, but the truth is that when members get power, it is their first instinct. Any query it seems, leads to a new rule.

So a member shows a video of a pizza getting cut in a Thunder Laser; and it immediately engenders a new rule!

Luke’s advise is predictive, if you listen to the intuition. “Do not make us make rules”, don’t ask them permission to cut pizzas in the Lasers. If you want to see if a Laser can cut a pizza, just do it. If you break a lens, pay for it. The alternative is to have Space officers constantly creating restricting regulations to prevent creativity, development, and ingenuity. This is the way that government helps us!

Grace_Hopper

1 Like

Translation: “If you want to see if a Committee can rain hellfire down upon an asinine Laser user, “Just do It”.

4 Likes

ex post facto

Still counts,

Hey if no one had asked, we wouldn’t have a rule against it.

I too would rather deal with things on a case by case basis. But if you demand clarification, we’ll make rules.

1 Like

The list of materials on the Do Not Cut list are there because of either danger to self or machine, like creating mustard gas or more smoke than cut. All the items have been sourced, debated and reviewed. Some a few times.

Why the restriction on foods? Is it safety or mess? We have done tortillas (engraving a face of someone) and pumpkins for halloween.

Is the new restriction for foods to be later eaten? Is it for all biologicals except vegitan leather?

1 Like

You guys do know this was a joke right?
Are we really making new rules because of pizza

3 Likes