Large Format Printer 2023

Is the large format printer available for DMS members? The most recent news I heard about the printer is that “it’s limited to just DMS committee business such as sign making for committee spaces.” [reference].

I was wanting to print a completed design for a cosplay I’m working on. The paper I would need should be at least 221 cm x 70 cm. I don’t know for sure if this image would scale up, but I figure I would ask to get a second opinion since I’m new to printing out designs.

I can probably help you print it at some point - the current pricing is listed on the printer (which is in the wet room). If your only doing a black outline for a sewing pattern, the cost can be cut a bit.

A sewing pattern doesn’t scale well directly, there are specific ways to scale it as needed.

(I do a bit of sewing patterns/printing - I think I might have seen you/talked to you briefly the other day about it actually)

2 Likes

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re asking, but I’ve used this external source to plot very large sewing patterns (I made a quilt for my grand piano).

This other post provides details. They were reasonably priced and fast.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses y’all! I’ll be at the Makerspace tomorrow around 8 pm after the solidworks fundamentals course to work on this.

I don’t know if the makerspace vinyl cutter is set up with a pen, but for line art, like patterns often are, I’ll often go to pen and paper in a vinyl cutter.

If you can vectorize your pattern, you can also use Big Thunder to cut your pattern and/or large pieces of fabric. It looks simple enough that you should be able to hand draw the vectors in just a few minutes. IIWM, I wouldn’t cut two layers of fabric at a time. YMMV.

I was actually tempted to mention something about the lasers with this. But yes, we can actually cut certain fabrics on the lasers- which might be better for certain large sizes. Otherwise the large format printer does work, it can actually also print on some fabrics pretty well- I’ve been using a slightly transparent grided fabric and it’s been great in that printer.

1 Like

Does the large format printer have paper in there? Where do we actually get paper for that if it runs out?

Clampitt paper and Red River Paper are two close by sources for paper and canvas for wide format (and sheet fed as well) printing.

They are two of my vendors for my wide format printer.

There is not. Paper exists in a few places - right now please ask someone who uses the printer to swap the paper to the needed.

If you have a paper type and/or the width dimensions, I can throw one in there later today probably.

Hello! I finally got some time to work on this project. I used pdfprinting.com to print the large papers (A0 size), so now the question is how I’ll cut the pattern or large pieces of fabric. @John_Marlow, you mentioned “Big Thunder.” I’d like to learn more about that. What is it, and how do I use it?

Big Thunder is one of the lasers. You can learn to use it by taking an online class at learn.dallasmakerspace.org. If you have any questions or want someone to help you out the first time you use it, feel free to post on Talk or Discord. :slight_smile:

2 Likes