LabVIEW Programming Workshop Interest Confirmation

There is a LOT in the 15 Gig or so base NI install. There is probably a driver in there for slide rule with pocket protector. Maybe even a driver for Miss Daisy, IDK. All I know is that NI had claimed a large portion of every single HD I have owned since 1997. And it doesn’t look like that will change anytime soon…

I hear you. I have to plug in my external at work every time there’s an update. They build our machines with small ( but fast ) SSDs. Not a lot of room.

But the 1TB USB3 takes care of it.

1 Like

I took the Device Drivers zip file downloaded from NI, and placed it on a DMS servier so everyone can have another way to get at it. I am extracting it as I write this message. Some of the guys up here at DMS suggested that this might help some folks, so I put the files here to help you out.

Now this is not LabVIEW, but the 10 Gig device drivers (install after labview). This will give you the ability to connect to a standard set of external devices and interfaces. And given that this is where we all want to go with our LabVIEW skills, we want this so we can make cool projects happen.

Link below:

\files\members\james jones

OK, cancel the unzipped files. I tried to extract, but 1.5 hours later, I am less than halfway done. So I stopped. Maybe I’ll continue later, but the .zip file is good. So please feel free to copy to your local system, unzip and use. Disregard other files unless I advise that I completed the unzip operation.

…sorry…

I found a way to do the presentations at DMS using 4K, and its the fun way that I like best anyhow…

$330 + tax for 50" 4K smart TV, Best Buy.

I discovered that the TVs are cheaper and larger than the monitors. Even at 50 inches, the pixels are so small that the text is about the same size as typical workstation at Initech.com. Its just that with 50", you have one heck of a lotta space in the form of screen geometry. This is ideal for a LabVIEW programmer, as code grows geometrically rather than lengthwise for text languages…

1 Like

I have submitted for the LabVIEW class to run on Thursday, Feb 9th @ 7 PM. So provided no glitches, we should be a go soon. Hope to see you there!

2 Likes

In-case anyone is wondering why this thread shows new activity - but visiting the thread doesn’t clear the new activity - it’s because a member posted a question, then deleted the post himself. It appears the link he was going to share is no longer online - so I can only guess that that’s why he opted to delete the post.

2 Likes

Good guess. The 4k video I was trying to show, was:

1. Showing in 360 p video format at time of delete.
  2. I had posted to incorrect thread anyway.

That being said, there is a cool LabVIEW class on Feb 9, but its not quite showing on event calendar yet…

2 Likes

Hey @semaphore1999, a coupe years ago I took an extracurricular labview class in college that was taught by a NI university representative. I’ve lost alot of the know-how and was wondering if you still had some room in the class or if I should just watch the videos you will be posting?

1 Like

The videos are a bit misleading. I just did one so folks could get a feel for what LabVIEW class may be like with me. I may do one more, as I would like to demonstrate how a LabVIEW old-timer can tie in important concepts without it getting too ugly and hard to follow.

So, to join, simply register on the calendar.

Then, install LabVIEW and device drivers from ni.com, then go into programs and features in control panel, and get screen shots showing LabVIEW and NI-VISA installed in the tool for National Instruments Software.

I will make a more formal announcement, but I need to have three registered attendees send me this demonstration of installation by Feb 5 in order for me to have time to prep a lesson.

Please advise of any issues you may have getting this done, and otherwise, you are effectively registered once this stuff is done.

That is a VERY, VERY large file. Do we really need all of the included drivers? Is it possible to just install a subset of the drivers? I really don’t want to install multi-gigabytes of drivers that I know I will never use.

1 Like

And I apologize as this is something that has always been a pain. The drivers can be separated, if you know what you are doing. But after 20 years of working on such a large number of systems and just saying forget it, I’ll just waste the space, I am afraid I am not that expert.

Can we operate in such a way as to install them for the 2-3 month expected window of class, then uninstall/delete? You see, I will want us to get to some USB/232 operations and maybe get folks where they can use a common port like parallel or RS-232 as DIO pins and/or IIC lines. This would be mighty helpful in empowering you guys for establishing quick control over stuff around space…

I am planning to come to space soon, and I’ll take a moment and see if I figure out a reduced set somehow. No promises as to size of reduction, but I will give it a shot and we shall see…

You know what, all I care about for you guys is USB. I’ll get to the bottom of miminum requried for USB and we should be able to do pretty much all with just that and Tanners across the street.

Thanks for what may have resulted in helpful input, @wandrson

1 Like

Bad news, I am afraid. One must download and install a 10 GB file no matter how much you are able to figure out how to cull.

These items I know are essential for our purposes:

NI-VISA
MAX
NI-DAQ
Runtimes

and while they may not be directly applicable, i would not skip:

system config

Guys, there is just not a lot worth changing here. My advice is to simply install device drivers and let the native settings install the components. We are heading down a trail where the time researching all of this pays few dividends.

For 20 years, everytime I have gotten agitated and pursued that question, this is the answer I arrived at. At it is not any different today. The only silver lining to that cloud would be that you should be able to delete the 10G installer once things are installed.

Sorry that answer may not be to many folks liking, but the good news is harddrive space it cheap. Our time is our most valuable resource.

Amen lol. Looking forward to it. I just built my desktop computer and it cost me a significant amount. Don’t really want to buy a laptop but I might just get a cheap one so that I can i just do labview on it. I only worry that if I buy a cheap one it won’t be able to handle opening and running the larger files that come with graphical programming. I’m sure it’ll be fine though.

1 Like

Don’t purchase laptop just for labview class. if you want to bring desktop, do it. I have 30 minutes setup time so come and setup sometime from 630 to 700PM.

I also have extra laptops if we are in huge pinch. But the situation is not perfect, as the one I could easily use runs windows 7 like really, really slow, although it has a version of labview installed. The other system has to be borrowed, and i am responsible should something break, so it may be possible, but of course never easy.

Since CRTs have become LEDs, pc setup is no longer that much of a hassle.

If there are others in need of a system who would like to attend but the laptop is the issue, feel free to post or PM me.

For those interested in the LabVIEW Programming Workshop at 7 PM on Thursday, Feb. 9, 2017, this is critical announcement:

We have quite a roster signed up for this event. I am happy to see the interest level, and the response confirms my suspicion that DMS membership contains awesomeness, diversity of skill, and willingness to tackle a challenging new programming paradigm. Kudos to the membership of DMS!

Based on the fact that I believe that everyone is aware that this will be a programming class from the beginning, and LabVIEW installation and Device Drivers installation are necessary prior to class start, I am going to back off of the three member pacesetter concept and assume that a minimum of three of the multitude signed up will be ready to move forward with programming at 7 PM.

There will be a non-DMS camera in the room, and the intent of such will be to get captures of myself in LabVIEW training mode. I am aware of one individual who wants to be sure he is not captured and published, and I am making the public assertion here that I will ensure that this is the case. If there are others who are sensitive to such, please advise via PM, and I will be careful to respect everyone’s legal and ethical boundaries.

Other than that, setup for class begins at 6:30, class is 7-9, and I have scheduled a one hour tear down so if folks have questions we can look at them for a bit after class. I look forward to seeing you guys there, should be fun and informative event.

Oh, and contact me directly via PM if you need help with licensing. While I am presently not an authorized National Instruments rep, I can point you where to go for your situation. Bottom line is that it is good for NI for you to learn LabVIEW, and good for DMS, and of course good for you…

hey james, @semaphore1999 , I thought I had my labview set up, but I had downloaded the 64 bit instead of the 32 bit. I uninstalled the 64 bit version and am about to install the 32 bit version. Before I do though, I had one question about the order that we install the drivers. I downloaded the DCD-Aug16_downloader which put that 10 GB folder on my computer. Was I supposed to put that folder in the directory as my LabView executable or when i extract the 10 GB folder where do I extract it to? Also I seem to remember when downloading the 64 bit that it asked where my support was located. I clicked continue without support. Should I have navigated somewhere else to install support? And why does it matter that we install National Instruments software before we install the drivers folder? Let me know if I am not being clear. Looking forward to class on the 23rd.

1 Like