LabVIEW Programming Workshop Interest Confirmation

Order is a strong word. More like a strong suggestion. I just want you to be able to do any external interface that we want to as a part of the class.

These pop-ups that ask questions during installation are confusing and have been changing for the two decades that I have been using LabVIEW. I would love to tell you how to handle each and every one. Sadly, I am but a mere man and the answer is, I don’t know for sure. Per my last install, I installed 32 bit labview, then device drivers, and when I went to use the USB port and VISA to do some serial over USB it just worked.

The best advice I have is this: When labview and DD download, I allow them to go to my downloads folder. When they install, I let them install where they ‘want’ to natively. I have never had a problem when I do it like this.

PM me if you have additional questions, I will try my best to help…

Thanks for the quick response. I am running an SSD and an HDD so I’m trying to keep everything on my HDD. Alot of time programs like to install on my SSD, however.

1 Like

The download files are large, I think, and it does not matter where they go. I would let the installed files go where they would go natively. In other words, I recommend NOT changing the path when LabVIEW tells you where it plans to install. There are numerous reasons for this, so suffice it to say that things will just go so very much smoother for you if you are able to let things install where they ‘want’ to.

I apologize if it burns SSD drive space. But for me, the question is how much of my time will I allow that space to cost me working around the labyrinth of issues that come up when I try to put the installation somewhere that saves space on primary drive. From experience, I would say its cheaper to burn some SSD space, at least temporarily.

@Connor , would you be willing to advise how big your install files are and also how much primary drive space was consumed when installing LabVIEW and DD? This would help us a lot, so its worth asking?

Here is a video showing how to install LabVIEW and Device Drivers. And BTW, the class is successfully rescheduled for Feb 23 at 7:00-9:00 PM, with 30 minutes of setup time and 1 hour of tear down time afterward. So bringing in a desktop is a real possibility if needed.

I will get back to you once I finish re-installing labview.

1 Like

What LabVIEW online resources/tutorials do you recommend for a beginner? Thanks in advance.

I don’t have a recommendation as I have not been a party to anyone who has learned that way. This is not to say that it is a bad path, but more to the point that this is just not a path those around me have used. That being said, I have learned an awful lot via videos.

What I see with LabVIEW is that the initial curve is steep for a few hours, then the programmer has an epiphany and sees the C parallel. From there, they are a LabVIEW programmer. The class will get you to that epiphany. Most folks would get aggravated working alone and quit prior to that happening.

Finally, its doubtful that those making videos have the depth using LabVIEW to interface to projects at DMS similar to what the class will expose you to. In this class, you can ask questions of me about projects you are interested in, and I can get you pointed to some very interesting resources (after first class, however, maybe class 2 or 3).

These things being said, this is the final reminder I will send out to have LabVIEW and Device drivers installed prior to class!

And let me finalize this question: does anyone need for me to help them locate a system, or has everyone got it figured out? Right now, I don’t plan on bringing any PCs other than my own, although I have spoken to 1 or 2 folks about possibly needed me to do this. If you need my help, please advise now!

Thanks, and look forward, should be cool class!

@kellyn007

Oh, after 2-3 years programming LabVIEW, I recommend this book for despaghetification:

https://www.amazon.com/LabVIEW-National-Instruments-Virtual-Instrumentation-ebook/dp/B004ZZT7ZA

And I won’t tell you that I have have a black and white only pdf file of this book…lol… And there is another awesome resource, but lets get the basics for now and we can work towards beautiful code once we have mastered functional code.

BTW, I will not be able to join you this Thursday. I have a schedule conflict this week.

Hopefully see you next time.

Give this a try:

https://www.ni.com/getting-started/labview-basics/

Also, on the forums at the NI site there’s a group called “The Daily CLAD.” It’s intended as test prep for the CLAD, but the concepts are pretty basic and there are discussions of the answers.

@tmc4242 you are not registered, and I agree that this may be the right call in your case.

I also agree that there are videos from numerous sources around, although I have witnessed the most success with live instruction. My recommendation for anyone wishing to learn LabVIEW is to take advantage of the opportunity to get classroom instruction (help from live person) in a setting similar to the NI course (which is how I plan to operate), complete with excercises along the way to reinforce and use the material.

I will do this one time, meaning one set of classes, so this is the chance to get that exposure for those that want it. As pointed out previously, NI charges $3k for basics courses, and this could be fallback option for interested folks who want class support.

I installed the evaluation version of LabVIEW for Mac (I do not own a PC…) and associated device driver.

If that is an issue, I may want to borrow a PC with LabVIEW if available. Otherwise, I can just use the LabVIEW on my Mac.

I’m all ready to go. I’ll be hauling in my new desktop and crappy monitor. Not happy about it, but I’m ready to learn so gotta make sacrifices. Shoulda just bought a laptop.

Is the 30 minute set up time start at seven or 630?