LabVIEW Programming Workshop Interest Confirmation

I would like to bring this up one more time, as it has been requested of me to do this workshop.

I would opt to do this workshop in a direction of getting participants over the hump presented by the paradigm shift from textual programming to graphical programming.

I made that transition to graphical as an employee of National Instruments about 20 years ago as the very first order of business upon working at NI was to learn LabVIEW. That began day one, as I reported to a classroom on my first day on the job.

The classroom had computers at each student desk, and on each computer was LabVIEW. We did not listen to endless lectures. Instead, the instructor showed us a few quick things, then sent us off on a challenge to do some programming in LabVIEW. I spent 2 weeks in that classroom, and was programming the whole time. The result was a lifetime change for me to graphical programming. Sure, I can still program in lines of code, but I would never choose this over the power of graphical programming unless there was a good reason to use a textual paradigm. And even then, I would write and debug in G (graphical coding), then migrate the resulting program to the textual language required in the end.

So, I am proposing a DMS version of this course that I took. The time would be spent programming for interested members. We will take things from the top, using the most basic and essential constructs like for and while loops. We will examine variables, datatypes and talk about how to get LabVIEW to allocate and deallocate RAM as neededā€¦ We will talk about organization and code readability.

But most importantly, attendees will program, in LabVIEW. So I will set up two hour sessions probably on Thursdays at 7 PM. But before entering the request, I would like to get commitments of at least three members who can bring a windows laptop loaded with LabVIEW and Device Drivers, which takes 5-10 gigs space, prior to showing up for class. I want to spend day one programming, not fiddling with installation issues. I can help interested parties get a student license to learn labview and I have other tricks I can employ so you can have a chance to evaluate the software for free. NI expects you to pay for the software if you use it to make money. This is the basic line in the sand, education including self education is free.

So are there three plus members who can commit to make the first programming workshop with a laptop loaded with installed LabVIEW and device drivers? If so, please respond here. As soon as I see three commitments, I will schedule while coordinating with the three schedules of these intersted parties. In fact, if more than 3 are interested donā€™t stop posting at three, Iā€™ll coordinate based upon schedules of anyone who posts with no upper bound on number of posters.

Here is the link where you can download and install eval. Talk to me about student licensing for your personal self-education.

http://www.ni.com/download-labview/

1 Like

I think thereā€™s a few in the Vintage Computer Committee that would be interested in this. Would the Thursdays at 7 PM course be a repeating class or a one off event?

1 Like

I would like to do repeating, but want to coordinate schedules for members interested. If someone is serious enough to show up with LabVIEW installed, they want to learn IMO, I am just the guy to help with that. I would like to make sure that the dates/times work for those with this level of interest.

Having more skill @ DMS with this awesome software will make a huge impact for our community as a whole. Things that would take days of programming with arduino can be whipped out in minutes using labview. And while you may still have to make an arduino version for something you plan to take to market, you donā€™t have to in cases where you are evaluating an idea (most will fall into this category). So it winds up saving enormous time. Plus, your on screen demo can be way sexy with all the pre-fab graphs, dials, tabs, 3D rendering possible.

I even use LabVIEW over matlab personally. I do all my math modeling in the tool. It does all the same hairy math functions, but labview is more advantageous when it comes to sweeping variables. I can run my models in a loop with dials on front panel for all vars. Then, i can run continuously (over and over) and slide dials around to develop understanding of the effect of each variable. Try that one in matlab. Sure, you can change a variable, then rerun, examine plot, rerun, examine plotā€¦ But time is $, and I like $.

Anyhow, I get excited with labview talk. So back on trackā€¦ If you would be so kind as to mention to any you know in vintage computing about this possible event, and request that they contact me to confirm their interest, that will work. I am in no hurry to take this down or anything. Iā€™ll leave it open and bump it up every now and then to capture the interested. Once we have 3, Iā€™ll schedule, and we will have another 2-3 weeks before first class, so we may pick up some more.

And I will also post a general thread to try an capture everybodyā€™s attention. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

I wanted to add this:
Indeed it is the case that the stsrting point with LsbVIEW is the basic constructs, else how else can you program in a given language? However, the result will be that as folks get a feel for loops and switch statements alongside the wiring paradigm, we should be able to quickly segway into controlling lab instruments, interfacing to custom gear (like the project you are working on), writing custom code and using the virtual bench hardware (which is so much more than just a benchtop instrument), using cameras, etc., etc. We can go there and put you in the driverā€™s seat interfacing to equipment, but we have to start with basic to get there.

I spent a long time in the industry freelancing development in this language for companies across the USA, and it was so lucrative I may go back. Anything you want to do can most likely be done much quicker with this language as the bulk of the code you want to write is already written, you just need to stitch it in to the other code snippets you need to make your app shine. As makers, this is the code you need to know to get projects running fast. Save the custom processor coding for when you have budget and resources to take something to market. Prove your point for VCs in LabVIEW.

There is a reason Techshop in Austin favors LabVIEW and other NI products. If the maker community in USAā€™s second largest tech hub city (San Jose #1) is a LabVIEW shop, that should tell you somethingā€¦

Done and thanks for proposing the course. VCCā€™s google hangouts is at https://hangouts.google.com/group/KtQTI7D8fDGF9XTo1. Youā€™ll most likely be able to reach them or cross post in VCC about the course.

[quote=ā€œsemaphore1999, post:4, topic:15612ā€]

Several of us in the group understand on some level the basics of programming but thereā€™s a few, myself included, that would love to program some FPGAs and CPLD so we can build better versions of our favorite Retro PCs.

1 Like

So I want to help, but to me working with LabVIEW is a matter of understanding the basic constructs. If that learning is already in place, I am happy to steer things however.

Targeting FPGAs in possible, but limited in the way that NI did this. You see, they set things up such that you can target FPGAs as they exist on their hardware specially formulated for this. These products are pricey and very much in demand. The FPGAs are there, but are accompanied by some nearby processor that aids in the proper utilization of the FPGA. The result is an extremely high performance custom system that enjoys the combinational benefits of properly piped FPGA sections alongside the processing power of the uP orchestrating the execution of the code. Typically, code can be modified at the PC level, then transported via USB down into the hybrid device, and presto it is available for executing on targeted system.

There are add-on options for programming an Arduino via LabVIEW, but this add on uses specialized arduino functions that the user must utilize when writing the labview code. You cant take ordinary labview code with all the extreme high-level stuff and port it down into arduino. it would explode. that stuff was meant for your intel core, which is well suited for heavy duty crunching involved with these advanced, high level labview functions.

1 Like

Iā€™m in for the class. Iā€™m already programming in LabView, but a review never hurts. Planning to take the CLAD this year too.

I have LV2015 installed. What drivers do you anticipate needing ? ( I have the usual that LV wants to install, but if there are specific needs, Iā€™ll double check. )

One question: Thursday nights are usually Open House. Do we want to be meeting while tours are going on ?

2 Likes

We now have 2/3 aspiring pupils for the class to use full blown DMS scheduling system.

Once we are at 3/3, I will work with 3 aspiring pupils to coordinate schedules using a ā€˜no man left behindā€™ scheduling strategy for the 3/3. Because of the nature of the material being a programming language, all activities of follow-on classes will hinge upon understanding of material presented in the first and all subsequent proceeding classes (nothing confusing about that sentenceā€¦lol) , we will need to be certain that all four of us have a 2 hour time slot available for each class. It would be best for each of us to have open schedule for a bit after the class, because this programming language is fun, colorful, and addicting, and I want anyone who needs another 5, 10, or even more minutes of time to finish the cool programming whatever-it-is the 3/3 are working on at that moment.

In other news, I just had a Nikon 4K camera with tripod arrive via UPS. I am hopeful that I can get a camera person willing to hang out during the presentations and film. I would like to make the videos available to DMS and I have another location couple locations I would like to make the edited version web index-able.

In a minute, I am going to attach a screen-shot of what you need to be able to see in order to be LabVIEW and device drivers install ready.

As an update, I downloaded the latest release of NI Drivers. It was 10 Gig alone. So I will now suggest that to take this class, you may need as much as 15 Gig free harddrive space. While I recognize that this is a lot, the skill learned through this class is worth A LOT in the industry. Those who have it remain fat in general, and Iā€™m not taking about their body size.

Iā€™ll be attaching screen shot showing what you need to see to know when you have labview and device drivers appropriately installed.

In the meantime, do we have a third person capable and interested in learning LabVIEW?

I would be interested in learning. The only complication is that Iā€™m a very experienced programmer / architect, but a newb in electronics haha. Iā€™m hoping the course would inspire me and give me a better place to learn and test circuits / interactions with devices.

1 Like

Well, I am not an architect of software. But I am learning and getting better.

What I am is a person trained by the makers of LabVIEW who has programmed LabVIEW for about 20 years.

I am very interested in large scale architectures of LabVIEW in particular, and am learning at the moment about using classes within LabVIEW, and some constructs I never knew existed, such as actor framework. Evidently, there is a whole grouping of these frameworks, and I am not that expert yet, but aspire to become one.

So if you are new to LabVIEW, this is the right class. The same concepts you would see in intro to C programming will be applied to LabVIEW in this class. You will get iinstructor reinforced programming experience via this class, learn how to bring front panel objects through to your coding environment, and update them using code you create from loops, switches, mathematical operations. We will also walk through and use the clever graphical debugging options LabVIEW incorporates. And for sure what most would say is not the least, I would like to apply the class understanding of LabVIEW to some real world problems, particularly those problems found around DMS. If you have something you want to interface to and control/read/write, bring this idea with you and pose the question. It may not happen until a class or two into our schedule, but the goal is that participants can apply their newlyfound LabVIEW skill to our real set of problems. I believe this will have great impact on DMS as a whole.

While this is an entry level LabVIEW course, folks need to have basic programming skills in order to succeed. They do not need to be software architect, but understanding a for/while loop helps a ton.

And as a side note for the software architect, I can show you how NI recommends that us LabVIEW folk architect our larger pieces of code (state machine style), and get you thoughts on it. We can do this once you have gotten comfortable with the basic constructs. And if I soon discover that you are communicating your skill set as a LabVIEW architect, you are still welcomed to the class, as you would be quite a helpful resource 1:1 with students. When I took the course at NI 20 years ago, there were multiple experts in the room who would walk around and help us students as we struggled through coding challenges. I have a suspicion that the room may fill up for our class, and I will need help from experts for that individualized 1:1. We could also share discussion topics, as I feel no need to monopolize the mic.

So can I count you in as 3/3?

And now I have reread your question, let me answer the electronics aspect more directly. I would say that LabVIEW is the BEST software language hands down for interfacing PC to the outside world. More libraries are out there in LabVIEW for talking to external electronics than any other language I know of.

So, with basic LabVIEW understanding, one can go out and grab libraries that are prewritten for just about anything and control it from your PC. Every once in a while, you may encounter an obscure piece of electronics and have to write your own driver, but I have yet to encounter anything that didnā€™t have something already, or something that could be easily modified to communicate to it.

So, I am EE and am quite comfortable with the electronics side of things. And I use LabVIEW, and only LabVIEW to interface my PC to whatever. I would like to work with folks in this class on some projects I am considering to make $. You would be a much welcomed addition on all fronts if your LabVIEW skill has yet to develop OR if you are already a grand guru of LabVIEW and other software suites. I expect that this class will be fun/educational/pizzarich/DMSexcellent. So bring the excellent side of you, you will fit right in.

We have 2/3 committed, and it looks like 3/3 quite soon, I want to make sure everyone else knows that having 3/3 does not mean that you cannot attend the class and learn to use LabVIEW. In fact, the truth is the exact opposite. While I will use the 3/3 as pacemakers to make sure that I am going an appropriate speed for familiarization with the graphical coding style, you can load labview and device drivers on a laptop and come play too. If you attend all sessions, taking care to be there from the beginning, you will be included and welcomed, and learn LabVIEW along with the rest of the pack.

So once I have 3/3, I will coordinate with the 3 pacemakers and find when all of our schedules allow, then put the course into DMS scheduling tool to officiallize things. Hopefully this will happen by end of week. I do have questions I will pose in separate thread as to the latest/greatest official DMS class scheduling protocol.

I also am looking for a dedicated camera operator for the class video I would like to create, which will be filmed with the new 4k video hardware I got in last night. This volunteer will have dual responsibility in that I can commit to springing for pizza for class participants during our first class session, and I would like to entrust the cameraperson with the pizza ordering and distribution key responsibility. I know you canā€™t commit to this until you have seen the schedule, and the 3/3 and myself will drive that, but once the schedule is up, the pizza hoarding part of my technical personality quite often dictates what the rest of me will be working on. Is there a brave soul out there who is willing to tackle the dual role of pizza distribution and 4K Nikon raw video creation in parallel? Iā€™ll pay for the pizza, but someone has to safeguard to be sure that programmers get first dibs prior to arrival of pizza pirates roaming the halls of DMS. Oh, and camera DOES have a tripod, so most of the camera work will be to position camera and let tape roll. But we may need to work up front as I want the event to be captured in 4K, and I bet we have to pull files off the 32 Gig card via wifi capability while filming, as I am quite sure 4k video fills up memory rapidly. So we can meet ahead of time and figure out how to do this.

Any daring soul up for dual role as camera operator/pizzaneer?

UPDATE

I just downloaded the latest set of NI Device Drivers, which atendees should install alongside a copy of LabVIEW, PRIOR to coming to class. The downloaded file was 10 Gigabytes, and it was compressed. So it must extract first, which will take forever, then you can run setup and it will auto install.

So I want to give you guys a heads up to expect that you will need significantly more that 10 free gig for the installation of LabVIEW & Device Drivers. I would guess that 30 Gig should be enough, but I am not going to commit to any number other than to say, you need significant free harddrive space for installation. You can recover a bunch of it by deleting the .zip and extracted .zip files after installation.

Here are the links for installing LabVIEW and Device Drivers. There are 2 major installations and it will take hours to get this stuff iinstalled with a blazing connection an on a fast computer. I can assist with Windows installs. I know not about Apples and Unixes. Here are the links:

http://www.ni.com/download-labview/

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-device-drivers-august-2016/6262/en/

Troubles with installation? PM me directly. Just pick any of the labview installation options. Education is a good one, as we will be educating. I can help you get edcuational option enabled, but fair warning, it will have a big splash that it is educational/evaluation software across any and all front panels as you use it. You must pay for commercial version when you are ready to make your millions/billions.

Just use default options and let the drivers install as they would like to. Be sure to uncheck the box for disable windows fastboot. It comes up on screen by itself. Applicable only to Windows 8 and 10 users, fastboot allows you to boot fast, surprise! I like this feature, and so I donā€™t want NI to disable it so that it never works. The thing to know here is that often, a full boot from scratch is required to properly install and reset drivers. Since NI uses extensive hardware calls to interface to the outside world, often NI tools need full reboots. You may need to induce a full reboot occasionally when working with NI tools, and often windows will omit full in favor of fastboot. So just be aware if you follow my advice of the distinction and what to do if your NI stuff is acting wonkyā€¦full reboot is in orderā€¦

Once the software has been installed, you should be able to go into programs and settings from control panel and run the NI software listing where all the programs are, and you will arrive at a screen that looks like my pic below.

In this tool, be sure you have labview installed, 488.2 installed, NI-DAQmx installed, NI-VISA installed. If any of these are not showing up upon installation of LabVIEW and Device Drivers, please let me know and I can help.

1 Like

Thanks to @semaphore1999 for some great background! You can count me in!

1 Like

I see 3/3.

Now please, for any future folks who see this thread, please feel free to join in on the class. These are just the first 3 who signed on. I will work to get us a room with plenty of space, and hopefully we have a 4k screen somewhere with HDMI input so you guys can see what is going on. Can anyone confirm offhand if DMS has a TV/monitor/projector that supports 4k resolutions?

I will follow up with more specifics soonā€¦

1 Like

Latest drive updates downloading. ( 3GB of 9GB so farā€¦ ).

Do we have something at DMS that has a 488 connection ? Just curious.

I need to find myself a 488 interface. I have a recently acquired HP 5335A ( opt 10,20,40 ) that Iā€™d like to tinker with.

1 Like

488 is GPIB. I ahve used it extensively. I think that there is a Tek scope floating around in there somewhere controllable via GPIB.

But yeah, its on its way out in favor of USB, wifi, bluetooth, etc. Come to think, I remember asking about bluetooth as an intern over 20 years ago, and being introduced to the father of LabVIEW FPGA (today he is a linkedin contact of mine) long before either had ever hit the market. Well, both are out there in industry now, and both have done famously. But back to 488.2. This interface is what put National Instruments on the map. It was an early GPIB board for a Dec Alpha computer that Dr. Truchard made in his garage. He, nor his customer, had any idea just how many of these things would be requested. He made millions of them, or millions of dollars worth of them, Iā€™d have to look it up. Either way, these dollars funded LabVIEW development. And here we are.

We can come up with interface for your instrument in our class. I have a really cool method for interfacing to counter/timers Iā€™ll show you, and I;m pretty sure it will work with this one, just have to try.

So this is why I have listed device drivers for you guys to installā€¦ You can bring interface questions like this, and we can get you pointed in right direction. Donā€™t be surprised if I put it on you to code it or morph it from another yourself with guidance. Iā€™ll want to get you guys exposure so the skill sticks. But this is what it is all about, gents, interfacing to the outside world. LabVIEW is the best thing going out there for hooking your Windows PC up to anything custom. And they have done some interesting things with Android/Ios as well, but that is follow on courseā€¦lolā€¦

I will get on schedule gentlemen. Can you guys each PM me your available nights for this? Also, I noticed that the front lobby with comfy chairs has new 4k TV runs HDMI. Are there any other TVs in DMS that run 4k? I use 4K laptop with HDMI out and would like to use it for the class.

Iā€™m very familiar with IEEE488. That was not the question, although good information there.

I was actually wondering what the LV 488.2 driver contained that would actually be of use for the devices we have at the DMS. I know for a long time it was the go-to interface, but that is starting to fade. We have very little left around the lab at work that uses 488, and what we do have, we have a USB<->488 device for. Almost everything is PXI, IP, or USB now. With, for us at least, a nice dose of 485 thrown in for a while longer yet.

Loaded 488.2 anyway. Iā€™ll need it eventually, although the timer/counter may not be on the short list. Itā€™s a nice beefy HP instrument, and lugging it to and from the space would be less than ideal. :slight_smile:

1 Like