Knife Making 2020202020

Woohoo, a spot opened up today in the induction forge and KMG grinder class, now I’ll have my requirements ready to take this knife class. Do we have any clue when this may show up on the calendar?

Do you all have any experience with removing the handle from existing knives and replacing? These are mid level kitchen knives with a full tang. The metal makeup seems to be x50 Cr Mo V15 if that matters. Thanks!

Just curious, are you talking about slicing off the handle, tang included, and replacing it?

Honestly because of the large amount of information that needs to be taught to make a knife I’m against including the induction certification in those as the forge and basic Blacksmithing safety take time to teach and are very important to teach on their own.

The KMG grinder is much simpler and could possibly be included in those classes but is still questionable

2 Likes

Interesting, haven’t removed any handles but have made some and done research. They are normally epoxied on, and so I would start by grinding off the tops of the pins and go from there. The handles likely won’t come off but you could then sand or hack saw off most of the handles, then careful sand down to the steel but very carefully

1 Like

No problem bossman, too much info at once leads to mistakes.

I’ve rehandled some steak knives for a friend. I was assisted in removing the scales by her dog, which had chewed them up (leading to the need to rehandle.

I drilled out the pins and the scales came right off. These were old commercial (cheap) knives and either had no glue or it had failed at some point in the distant past.

I drew new scales to size, cut them out with a band saw, attached them with new brass rod pins and epoxy, then sanded down the handles and pins on a 3x36 bench sander to shape and a comfortable fit.

4 Likes

Sooooooo now that there’s a knife making sig, any chance this kiradashi class could happen again? Or did it ever actually pan out.

1 Like

That’s a good question for @Thom - he was the one proposing teaching such a class, IIRC.