Knife Making 2020202020

Was talking with Mike and others about a knife class and if its just a beginner class then the consensus is to do a Kiradashi class. These are very simple Japanese knives typically without any special handles.

It means learning design, drawing out the profile, grinding the profile and then the edge bevel, with finally the Heat treat. The idea is to be able to do all of this in one class sitting. About 2 or more hours.

The issue as I see it is that there is only one knife making grinder - the KMG 2x72 in the blacksmith area. There are some other, less elegant grinders. If there is another 220 outlet available in the blacksmith area I could bring my KMG grinder up to the class. I’d be willing to teach the class if no one else wants to.

4 Likes

A couple of the kitchen knoves I made lately. The first is a modified Santuku of 1095 with a mustard patina for protection. It has a red micarta full-tang handle.
The second is a 1095 mini-chef with a stabilized African Blackwood, hidden-tang handle.

2 Likes

A couple of examples of Kiradashis. The top ones were made from old files. While they are simple knives, there is no reason they can’t be beautiful.

9 Likes

I’d be down for learning to make that. Good class idea

2 Likes

That shouldn’t be a problem. I forget what all we have & where but for a class we can accommodate temp 220

I’m in for a knife making class. Would there be any prerequisites I’d need to take first?

Depending on how we did it, likely the kmg grinder and the induction forge or attented an open forge depending on with forge is used

This would be fantastic, I know we talked about this before and I still haven’t been able to source 1095 locally, but if that is what you’d like for your class, I’ll order some

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look into taking the KMG and induction forge class to keep myself covered.

Did not know there was a KMG class. Interesting.

How much is that kind of metal for something this size? My knowledge of pricing and the proper type of metal is almost zero.

Tool steel 1x1/8 runs in the neighborhood of $.65 per inch. So, if you start with 4 or 5 inches (probably sufficient for this), you’re talking between $2.60 and $3.25. Bigger steel will mean mas dinero.

Right, tool steel is really cheap. The most expensive part of the knife is the handle material, usually.

1 Like

I am all in on attending a class. Already have a few high carbon steel files, experience with acid (vinegar/mustard) patinas, and knife scale/handle assembling.

1 Like

Speaking of which, I know we have a vacuum chamber at the DMS, and it would be a great complementary class to make some custom resin knife scales (handles).

Never done it. Always wanted to.

1 Like

Scott,

Are you talking about stabilizing wood with resin in a vacuum chamber?

1 Like

Yes. I would very much like to develop that skill. I’ve seen everything from stabilizing wood with resin to taking small pine ones or loofah sponges or even colored paper and impregnating with resin to make knife scales, interested in learning that.

There is a single class that covers both the Induction Forge and the KMG grinder.

Look for a class like this (currently full) one one the calendar.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5774

1 Like

Love kiradashis, hope I can make it. What about including the kmg and induction forge privileges for taking the clsss, like lathe does with bandsaw

I would also like to attend a knife making class. I’m learning via youtube and trial and error in the metal shop right now, but I’m running out of scrap material to mess up on. Also, can someone please schedule a welding class or teach me sometime? I’m at the space during the weekdays if anyone has time.

1 Like