July Culinary Appreciation Thread

I’d donate my Banana’s Foster recipe and my Bourbon Apple ice cream topper recipe.

7 Likes

I’m gonna need this whether or not we make a book

5 Likes
4 Likes

@jast gave ya the hookup to it. :slight_smile:

Warning: NSFD(Diet)

1 Like

Finding Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki is like finding Okinawan soba.

I finally got the recipe and just made it myself. You might have to do the same.

2 Likes

With a new baby girl, I’m working on my dad bod anyway. Need a gut big enough to tell potential suitors that I just don’t care

5 Likes

Sourdough brioche (started on Thursday, pulled from oven this afternoon).

10 Likes

Looks like you are not afraid of some great caramelization.

Waiting till tonight to try my Dutch Oven on the grill.

5 Likes

After @mrjimmy posted that Stromboli, we had to make some.
My wife did the one on the right. I confess to the mess on the left. I didn’t even think about flipping it. But I did use Toothpicks to hold it closed. We put a buttery brush of Italian seasoning atop.

They have Italian Sausage, Beef, cheese, black olives, pepperoni, sauce & bacon in them. I know, your not supposed to put sauce inside but we did anyway.

11 Likes

7 Likes

Batch of homemade hot dogs heading into the sous vide.

5 Likes

Made some homemade nectarine and blueberry crisp last night. Served with Bluebell Vanilla ice cream. Delicious.

8 Likes

Anybody do “cake soaks”? I (re)watched the Bon Apetit “Claire Teaches You Cake *” series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-5yLt1gqIo again, and she does soaks. I’d never heard of one before, and, honestly, still can’t find a recipe for one. I know the “poke cake” that was popular recently is not dissimilar, but yet different, and that’s not really what I’m looking for. But I’m curious about recipes for soaking various cakes, techniques, opinions, etc. I’ll probably never do it, but I want to understand it, just in case…
Love any opinions, pointers, tips, thoughts. :+1:

I’ve never done a cake soak but when I had a hankering for a chocolate orange cake this summer many of the recipes I came across used one. It seems like most of the soaks I saw were sugar syrups of some kind, occasionally made with orange juice to add orange flavor. Here’s an example recipe that does that:

See step 1 under assembly.

This is the recipe I ended up following, and it doesn’t have a soak: https://www.oliveandmango.com/chocolate-orange-cake/ and turned out wonderfully moist for several days afterwards. Probably due to the large volume of orange juice in the cake.

3 Likes

Would tres leches be a soaked cake. My mom used to make a “soaked” cake is was basically a syrupy sauce poured on top like Ian said.

1 Like

I know nothing of tres leches…off to the googlers…

1 Like

You poor man! Get thee to Gloria’s Latin Cuisine and have a piece. Google may tell you what it is but can never “explain” it to you.

7 Likes

Caribbean rum cake is soaked in…well…rum. And it’s glorious.

2 Likes

Was just thinking that rum cakes are soaked…I guess favorite brand is the “recipe” on that soak?

1 Like

I believe the cake is loaded with butter. You can also experiment with some coconut milk (or coconut cream) or maybe some pineapple juice/bits of you’re feeling sassy. And then there’s the rum. I’m partial to Mount Gay rum after having toured their facility in Barbados (Permitted in 1703). But so long as you like the hooch, I say go for it.

1 Like