Cooking Appreciation Thread

Started a batch of north Florida style boiled peanuts. Crab boil, extra cayenne and raw peanuts. Boil forever and when you are done you have what can only be described as vegetarian crawfish :wink:

8 Likes

I don’t pre-boil lasagna noodles when making lasagna. I use plain lasagna noodles and add an extra 3/4 cup of water to the sauce for a pound of pasta. Assemble and bake as usual.

I do the same when making pasta bakes. Here’s my semi-homemade version:

Easy Weeknight Veggie Baked Pasta

Start to serve is about 70 minutes.
Active Prep time is about 15 minutes.
Makes 6 generous servings.

1 bottle prepared spaghetti sauce
1 can fire roasted chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup water
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
16 oz package dried pasta (Farfalle, penne, or ziti works well)
8 oz shredded cheese (mozzarella or other melting cheese)
2 oz grated parmesean cheese

Other possible additions:
small can sliced black olives
Large handful of fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped (add with noodles)
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 zucchini, sliced 1/2" thick
1 package ground seitan with italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine sauce and tomatoes in very large sauce pan. Use 3/4 cup water to rinse out sauce jar and add to pan. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Chop peppers and onions. Soften in a saute pan (or 2 min in the microwave if you’re in a hurry). Soften mushrooms the same way. Add all veggies to sauce. Allow to simmer for several minutes to help flavors meld. Stir dry noodles into sauce and mix to distribute the sauce.

Spray a 3 quart or larger casserole with some PAM for easier cleanup, then layer up 1/2 of sauce/noodle mix and 1/2 of the cheeses. Repeat with remaining sauce and cheese.

Cover with tented aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes, removed foil, and bake 15 mins more. Let cool a few minutes after baking to prevent scalding the roof of your mouth.

4 Likes

And asparagus too! Yummmmm.

I must know how to make this! What’s the recipe??? I just had some homemade french onion soup for dinner tonight. I want this next! :drooling_face:

1 Like

Recipe please! For the skillet chicken!

Here’s one… Bourbon apples

Peel, core, and cube 2 apples of your choice. Put in a skillet with 3 pats of butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/8 tsp of cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, and cook down a bit.

Add about 1/2 cup Knob Creek and immediately flame it off while stirring. Watch the flames! I lost a few hairs off the back of my fireplace lighter holding hand when it lit up… POOF!

Let cool and put over top of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream.

10 Likes

All you had to say was ‘Bourbon’.

1 Like

When all these restrictions are over I expect one hell of a potluck!

3 Likes

I made this today:

It didn’t last long enough to get a picture. It’s like cinnabon and french toast had a baby. Definitely going to make it again.

4 Likes

Ok, I haven’t posted in a bit so heres what my latest attempts have been.

Scrambled eggs loaded with green bell, onion, mushrooms and bacon, topped with sharp cheddar and served with spicy sausage disks.

Croissant stuffed with glazed Yakitori chicken and served with a Yakitori dipping sauce.

Flaky buttery biscuits stuffed with sausage and bacon. (Seeing a breakfast pattern here?)

Taco rice and cheese. Believe it or not, this dish originated in Okinawa Japan which is why unless you know exactly what is in it, (a very specific spice blend) it’s almost impossible to replicate.

Yes, I made another Bolognese, this time with spicy sausage and Italian meatballs. I really like a real Bolognese…

And, my slightly failed attempt at making corn dogs for the very first time ever.

By the way, if by some weird chance that somebody actually wants any of these recipes, just let me know and I will get them to you.

6 Likes

I wonder what I’m prepping for the morrow…

3 Likes

Nice!!
What’s the end dish?

1 Like

Was hoping to see some creative guesses, but since it’s been asked: blueberry & maple sausages.

Prepped the grinder and meat is marinating so when I wake up I can just grind it all and throw it on the iron

As an aside, if people haven’t gotten a meat grinder for their kitchenaid I’ve been very happy with this 3rd party one since it’s mostly stainless parts and mostly dishwasher safe unlike the official one last I checked

4 Likes

I have had blueberry sausage in Vermont, it was amazing and I have never had a similar blueberry sausage since.

I personally have an old-style meat grinder, though I do have a KitchenAid so I should probably look at investing into a KitchenAid meat grinder. I do know that putting the meat in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes before you grind it makes the grinding process a lot smoother.
In case you didn’t know, but you probably did, lol!

1 Like

The buns look amazing and I’d love to try them, but too much effort. I’ve started using honey wheat thins, since I’m an “Atkins Sympathizer”. Plus, too much milk for the wife to tolerate (I know he mentioned alternatives).

Beef bacon cured for six days with a dry rub if spices smoked this morning with hickory. Made with the navel cut of beef brisket. Now I have to convince the hubs that we need a deli slicer.

7 Likes

I love making homemade bacon. I’ve never made beef bacon before though. Hmmmm…might have to try that! I’ve been wanting a good sliver for awhile.

1 Like

In a pinch, would a jerky-slicing board work (for thick-cut bacon anyway)? It’s simple enough that someone with a table saw could put one together pretty easily.

2 Likes

From what I have researched you want it as thin as you can get it, so this might not work. But it is a great idea for other things.

Also thanks for introducing me to this YouTube channel. I have a feeling I will spend several hours watching it.

Thin as you can get? For bacon??? One of the benefits of making your own bacon is that you can cut it as thick as you want rather than buy pre-cut bacon. That’s what I love about it. Sometimes I want thin cut and other times thick cut. Depends on how I’m using it.