Joy of Maintaining the Woodshop

I completely agree with this member and this comment. I hope to take the Intro Woodshop classes soon, so I have been following this committee’s news and info.

I don’t believe that taking Intro Woodshop, either the four classes, or the breadboard class, means any member should be ‘entitled’ to use the larger, more powerful, expensive equipment on their own, ie allow them to get a log and haul it in to make a mid-century table on a Saturday.

I use the word ‘entitled’ specifically, because the more expensive Woodshop equip belongs essentially to DMS and to the membership that will use it responsibly (and yes, rhetorically to all members, with the assumption that an agreed upon tenet is to Be a responsible member).

I just don’t believe that Intro to Woodshop, even in four parts, is sufficient to get to the percentage needed of less damage and carnage of equipment.

We all want membership dues to continue to be reasonable and accessible to people. It can’t do that or be that if tools are chopped and sautéed by a high percentage of membership, or even a significant percentage of membership, where the few could ruin it for all.

If a member’s goals are more basic; perhaps more basic set of classes about use of table saw, scroll saws, hand saws etc, and stressing expected behavior and clean-up is fine for those members. Plenty of space and atmosphere to enjoy themselves in.

But for members who want to do bigger projects, or use the expensive equipment, classes specifically for that, maybe project based where the teacher can closely observe how the member learns to use, and uses the tools, where the teacher can also be on site to inform ‘this is how we clean up at DMS’ should be a new committee strategy to consider.

I do think even the advanced class should be in two parts; a small group learning class, and a second class with either a smaller group still or one-on-one mentorship. When a mentor or class teacher is confident the member is okay in all ways, they can be signed off to use the ‘fancy stuff’.

Yes it’s longer. But I wonder if it would be a better path to bond the member to DMS, where there is a higher feeling of trust and community, and significantly reduce the ongoing problems that Woodshop is having.

Even if a member says they grew up in a family member’s Woodshop or Mechanic Shop, that does not mean they were taught to respect tools, use them properly, or taught how to clean after tool use etc.

Here is an example of member ‘expensive tool’ use in another committee area;

I have been ‘married’ to ceramics as my chosen media for 30 yrs, have been a studio tech officially and unofficially for 30 years, loading and unloading electric kilns at various art centers etc. I can load a kiln while stealing the cheesecake off your plate and trying to pick up your father (if he’s cute). I have very ‘soft’ hands (industry term), meaning I Know how to handle greenware and fragile textiles.

Joining DMS, I immed expressed interest in volunteering to help load the kilns and in the depart as a whole. I told the ceramics committee I was experienced, and wanted to help in any way I could. Health issues prevent me from doing the heavy work and cleaning in a ceramic studio that I used to do for decades, but I certainly can load a kiln (if someone can help me load the very bottom :))

I was told the DMS protocol for being around and loading these expensive pieces of equipment; I have to observe an authorized member loading x amount of times including seeing how the vent lid is adjusted and other things necc to complete before the ‘loading’ is considered complete. Then an authorized member has to witness Me loading x amount of times. Only then, if the authorized person believes I can load on my own, will I be ‘signed off’ to come in and load kilns as a volunteer of that area.

I never quibbled. I never acted ‘affronted’ because I ‘should be’ granted instant kiln loading access etc etc. I completely agree and support the policy. The committee is trying to do the absolutely best they can to both allow volunteers to participate AND save the very expensive kilns.

Anyway, wanted to share these thoughts.
Thank you to anyone who reads them.

8 Likes

Let’s do it. Premier Rush I think is a good start for this for sure.
Is there any harm in letting the entire internet safety.
This is what you tube was made for.
It also would allow people with cell phones to view safety videos without being on the wifi to watch it or at home when they can actually pay attention better if they wanted to learn.

You could alternatively use something like https://thinkific.com e-learning course software I’ve done comparisons since I Technology Chair @UTD for a few years and didn’t alot of elearning comparisions when Blackboard & WebCT merged plus a couple projects in that area and have always liked this one with a free tier all the way up to possibilities of integration with active directory so you’d never out grow it really.

Episode; The end of the trail.

Joy of Maintaining the Woodshop

This two-month snapshot of the activities in the woodshop was intended to share the good, bad and ugly adventures in keeping the Woodshop functioning. I believe it has accomplished that purpose. For many it may seem like this is an extraordinary period of use and abuse, it was not. What the thread has accomplished is sharing the efforts and costs required to keep things running.

As we bring this thread to a close, with a new one to start shortly, I want to provide an update as to the current status of tools.

The Large Domino is repaired ($113.35) and is headed back from the repair shop.

Jet Lathes are waiting on parts Freddy Calvert has ordered, should be here soon.

Edge Sander are waiting on parts Freddy Calvert has ordered, should be here soon.

Multicam – spindle Freddy Calvert has ordered a replacement should be here on Monday. The old spindle will be sent to a repair center for evaluation. If it is worth the cost, we will repair and keep as backup.

Powermatic Parts have arrived to fix the following;

Powermatic Lathe - Bad Power Switch

Powermatic Jointer - Jointer depth gauge

Powermatic Drum Sander – All three boards are here; we need to be cautious on the sander and add some expertise to check electronics rather than just swapping parts.

Powermatic Jointer - Broken Teeth needs blades replaced, I’ve got to scrounge some out of the used stack I will coordinate installation,

The planner is now working properly after resetting all the blades.

Sliding compound miter saw, the Woodshop committee has voted to replace the current saw with a 12” saw and a backup from a brand with local repair services. The current saw will be sent back for repair and the sold to offset costs.

More to follow.

@Team_Moderators please close this thread.

5 Likes