Is the information on the wiki regarding bits & collets up to date

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/MultiCam_CNC_Router#User-supplied_Cutters

Does anyone else use their own collets and bits? I’m interested in building up my own set of collets and bits for the Multicam. Is the information on the wiki up to date? And how to you manage the speeds/feeds in definitions in Vcarve if you do?

I was working with some birch ply and a 1/4 downcut bit and it was shredding the edges of my cuts. (The 3/8" downcut worked flawlessly.) I’m guessing the feed rate for the 1/4" bit was too high, but I’m still pretty new at this so I’m very receptive to input from those who are more experienced.

Jim

Chris Ghaly is who you want to talk to. Feeds and speeds are covered in his MultiCam 2 or 102 or whatever name he has given it.

He doesn’t spend much time on talk but he may talk to you 1 on 1 to solve your issue.

I bring my own bits. I favor Amana Spektra and I know Chris (@cghaly) is a fan of Whiteside, which are slightly less expensive but by all accounts excellent bits.

I use the speeds and feeds provided in PDFs from Amana, but the feed (the only variable you can manipulate reliably), can be calculated from the default speed (18k rpm) and recommended chip load using an app like Feeds ‘n Speeds as suggested by Chris.

For Baltic birch plywood, I’d use a compression bit and set your first pass depth (edit Passes in the toolpath pane) to be slightly deeper than bit diameter to ensure the entire down-cut section of the bit is below the surface by at least the thickness of the outer ply.

I’ve found that sometimes there are very slightly ragged edges that can be accidentally turned into tearout by careless handling after routing. Keep that in mind when sanding or flush-trimming your work.

You might consider putting a layer of masking tape over the line you’re going to cut. I’ve never done this but it might help. If you try it, let us know if it helps!

Bottom line on tearout is that you always want something backing your wood in the direction the cutter is trying to move it, whether that direction is up, down, toward or away from the cutting edge of the tool.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Do you use your own collets too? What size does the Multicam use?

Jim

This is what I use for F&S:

Full Depth F&S Calculations.xlsx (100.3 KB)

After you select the bit you want to use in VCarve, select the “Edit” button to right of the select button and make whatever changes you desire. The changes are only applied to the toolpath being developed and you need to edit for each different toolpath if the default setting isn’t working for you.

The DMS Multicam uses ER25 collets.

No I use DMS collets. We have 1/8-1/2 by eighths.

Thanks, gentlemen. I’ve added that info to the Multicam Wiki page.

1 Like

Chris, I wanna say we have 3/16” too.

1 Like

Are you certain enough that I should add it?

1 Like

I want to say yes (I am certain) but I’m heading back there after dinner and I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Yes, we have a 3/16.

So it’s: 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2”

2 Likes

Thanks much. I updated the wiki.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, Chris!

2 Likes