Is anyone good with cars and doesn’t mind teaching me?

My car is running fine now.

1. But I want to learn how to change out my alternator.
  2. I want to learn how to jump start my car.
  3. And I want to know how to change out a flat tire.

Is there a kind and generous soul that would be willing to help me out?

1 Like

I know most of that. On changing flats, how much do you weigh? I ask because lug nuts are usually put on with air assist. I’ve had to stand on the tire iron to break loose the lug nuts. One of my memories from college is bouncing (gently) on the sad-and-pathetic lug wrench that came with my roommate’s Super Beetle. It finally worked…

Plus, this will give me a chance to make sure the jumper cables for the van got back where they can be found.

3 Likes

If there’s enough interest I could look into running an autos 101 class sometime. Kind of an introduction to run through the basics (tire change, oil change, jumpstart etc.) and familiarize folks with the area.

That being said, you can always just pop by and hang out. Often in the afternoons there’ll be some folks hanging out shooting the breeze that’ll often be open to answering questions!

5 Likes

I suspect there is enough interest that this could be a monthly thing, particularly if it included lift training .

5 Likes

Excellent point.

1 Like

I’d hate to see the two combined, because of time. In theory, each lift student should lift their own car. Add that to the various 101 topics, and you could be spending the entire day.

2 Likes

Or do an oil change on a students car and lift certify that student, followed by a regular lift training for those who are motivated. 101 students get priority on follow up lift training (102?)

4 Likes

I wonder if we could have lift training and an orientation to the space, immediately followed by the 101 course for those interested? Those who are just around to get signed off don’t have to hang around for the rest.

That’s if we decide the two belong together at all of course, but I think at least offering the two together is worth considering.

4 Likes

Probably a more sensible order

1 Like

I’ll poke out fearless leader with the deceptively intimidating tag @sixshot357 and see what his thoughts are, and what it will take to let me sign people off on the lift.

1 Like

I weigh about 130 lbs

2 Likes

Yeah. Standing on the lug wrench for sure. I’m over 200 nowadays, but I still have to stand on the lug wrench because I don’t have the upper body strength to break those lug nuts free. Doable – just a consideration.

Edit – gotta run. Let’s see how some of this plays out.

1 Like

Lift training and orientation sounds like a great idea!

1 Like

Can someone dm or reply to me their contact info? My work schedule varies and I would like to find free time for both of us to come into the auto shop.

1 Like

There are solutions for this. I’m lazy, so I carry a telescoping wrench;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RF95TDC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

2 Likes

It’s Sam’s show now but I’m happy to do a train-the-trainer on the lift so you can teach it as well. We’ve always wanted more introductory auto-maintenance level courses but we’re short on teachers so I’m all for it. I think @TSki is teaching one this Saturday which is a great move in the right direction.

4 Likes

I can teach you how to do all three, no problem! I’ll be at the space tomorrow from around 2 to 7.

1 Like

Thank you! I will be there tomorrow at 2:30pm. What is your real name btw?

1 Like

That would be Sam, the Auto Chair Elect.

2 Likes

My real name is Sam

2 Likes