Interest Gauge - Family Classes for Kids?

Just joined the Makerspace (hi everyone!)

Curious to know if there is an interest for classes for kids? If so, what age groups, what topics/ideas would be preferred?

I used to be in Girl Scouts, so I know a lot of fun summer camp like crafts and projects. Let me know what you think!

• Catherine Lugo (lugo109)
2 Likes

As long as the kids arenā€™t dropped off for the class. Every child must have a parental guardian. Ie not the scout leader for 25 kids.

6 Likes

Grown ups like crafts too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: welcome

Iā€™d check with someone on logistics or the board first before doing a kids targeted class instead of a class where parents can come and bring their kids if they wanted to. Iā€™d be concerned about liability with regards to minors having proper waivers on file (guardians would HAVE to sign). Especially true for something like ceramics that would require them to enter shop areas. Secondary point of consideration for you on a personal level is that when you do a littles class the parents tend to confuse it with daycare and just drop them off and run. If that sounds like your nightmare tag it as a Family class

3 Likes

Yes, thank you for your feedback! I definitely do NOT want this to be a daycare. And each age range would have the appropriate age targeted projects.

Also, just throwing ideas out, that especially for younger ones, the crafts would be contained mostly in the Creative Arts room or one of the meeting room; areas that are not key-protected.

1 Like

Iā€™d suggest Purple or Interactive. You can take a cabinet and any supplies you need there and not worry they will sew their fingers or something on the more hazardous equipment.

If you need help let me know. K12 is my day job and I was informed Iā€™m a 2D SIG now

2 Likes

I would love your help with the classes! That would be great.

This link provides an idea on some crafts I had in mind.
We can adjust the level of difficulty for whatever the preferred age range is.

I host monthly rocket build sessions. I encourage parents bringing their kids if they are interested or are working on something like their Space Exploration Merit Badge. But the parent or guardian must be in the room if the kids are young as I am not a baby sitter.

2 Likes

In the past (a year or two backā€¦@uglyknees might remember more) there was someone did a few parent-child (not just child/drop off) classes in ca (oh wait, maybe it was scienceā€¦growing crystalsā€“yesā€¦) that were well-received.

An advantage of these two rooms is that a mess on the floor is easy to clean up.

1 Like

I would be willing to teach some jewelry for youngsters
I would suggest that any such classes be held in the
classroom area and not in the workshop, To many things
thet dont go with children, I did a class on Mon, on making
jeweley from cookie tins, that would be great for younsters,
Some of my wire classes will work for younger folks

2 Likes

Depends on age unless you want to be doing majority of the work. Iā€™d say min 10 and upā€¦even that might be pushing it with the disk cutter

As CA chairperson I second this suggestion. Floors are tile in those two rooms. Some past classes have made it difficult or awkward to get to tools in there (mostly big classes that blocked the cabinets before the room was in its current configuration).

If there is anything I can do to facilitate moving of necessary supplies to another room, or if you need help figuring out what CA actually has.

3 Likes

Very interested, my 4 year old is always asking to go to ā€œMakerpaceā€ and even drives to ā€œMakerpaceā€ in her cozy coupe. She went to the all ages dragon painting class and had a great time. At her age though, the event needs to specifically state that all ages of kids are welcome (if thereā€™s any doubt we wonā€™t bring her) and canā€™t be in the workshop.

4 Likes

@lugo109 Good luck with the classes.

Liability has always been the concern with dealing with children at DMS. When we started DMS we would push the facilities as adult and child friendly. But, we had to stop doing that as parentā€™s would walk kids into the space point to an adult and leave the kids. Had this happen at Lady Bird one morning and had to run out the front door to stop the mom once I figured out what had just happened. Luckily, I caught her before she fully drove out of the parking lot. Also, we have had many issues with unattended minors while their parent was at the space working in the warehouse. So though it isnā€™t the intent to be a daycare, make a point to tell parents they must be involved in the class as well. Because many parents accept the opportunity to miss that fact.

4 Likes

It is my understanding that allowing minors at DMS is risky and probably shouldnā€™t be allowed but if there is a class my 4 year old can participate in I am interested and my kid will be supervised. I completely understand that some people ruin nice things for everyone with unsupervised kids and lawsuits, that is unfortunate.

1 Like

I have taught some basic jewelry to children that age, with their parents help

2 Likes

This is great. So by the sounds of it, safety and liability is definitely the biggest concern as it should be.

I think I will post some projects I have in mind, and allow the adults to ā€˜voteā€™ on each class project ahead of time. My goal will be to make it for all ages, and to take the class you must have a parent/guardian with you.

Iā€™m still figuring out each of the rooms, but I have no problem it being in one room over the next. It sounds like the purple room and the interactive room will be where these will be hosted.

1 Like

Now that I think about it, I could do an all-ages ceramics class if there is any interest. I have a portable slab roller and a bunch of cutters that I could set up in a classroom so kids could cut shapes out of clay without having to go into the workshop. A second class would be to glaze the bisque. I have lots of bisque so the first class wouldnā€™t even be necessary to take the second class.

4 Likes

Hm. Now this all has got me thinking tooā€¦

Iā€™ve taught wire (colored copper craft wire) for basically summer camp classes before. And itā€™s projects a parent could enjoy too.

You know if several folks offer these kinds, with usual caveats of a parent needs to be present and itā€™s not held in workshop area, it will get folks thinking to check the calendar a little more for this type, which helps interest/registration, plus some neat offerings to plant seeds of mini-makers :slight_smile:

I may throw something together tooā€¦

My suggestion, much like saying Daymaker or Midnight Maker in title to help those stand out, we might say ā€œAll-agesā€ or ā€œMini-makersā€ in title or ā€œMini-makers welcome, ages X and upā€ or something in the short description. And be VERY clear in description itā€™s not a drop-off, parent must attend too. A thought.

3 Likes

I like that idea, and I am wondering if they could fit in before the night classes
sometimes, like at 5

Let me think what would be good and I will post one soon

2 Likes