Interest Gauge - Family Classes for Kids?

We need to have a VERY low tolerance on kids running around loose, even in the front of the house, we already have a couple of parents that let their very young kids run (yes, literally run) to the bathrooms or kitchen unattended… even after having been told about the rules.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Minors
“Accompanied closely means visual range generally, and immediate reach when near dangerous tools.”

5 Likes

I think a name like Family maker might be good

1 Like

I once taught a leather intro class at DMS to a group of home schoolers. The kids were 10-13 years of age. All but one of the students were well behaved… One child, on the other hand, was dead set on upsetting the whole group. He was very disruptive to the class. He yelled that “He didn’t want to be here!” numerous times. Yes, all of the kid’s parents were in the class and yes the disruptive student’s mother tried repeatedly to quite her son, but he was persistent. Only when I showed him how to stamp his initials in leather did he take an interest in the class and tone down his complaining. He seemed to like striking things I guess. I watched him like a hawk so he would only use the mallet appropriately. His mom was watching him, too.

I love kids and I think teaching them how to make things is awesome, but you need to establish the ground rules going in. Parental supervision is a must and if the kid is disruptive more than once he should get ejected from the class.

The parent of this boy apologized numerous times and told me the child was ADHD and had other medical issues, but this didn’t change the impact he had on an otherwise normal class environment. When the class was over it ended pretty well though. The other kids were familiar with the boy’s issues and were most understanding. It was, however, a trying class for me.

2 Likes

My dad taught me some woodwork when I was in grade schoolm my
mom taught me to sew My parents encourages bothe the creative urges
in me and the maker urges

1 Like

If anyone wants to do an all ages class to paint those rocks people are leaving around Dallas, I would be very interested.

2 Likes

What rocks? Tell me more

Soooo…inspired by this thread, I went and did it :slight_smile: I looked up when school starts back up and did a couple weeks before that and timed it for an afternoon diversion.

All that being said, it’s a project adults have really liked too, and you don’t need to have a mini-me to attend.

Hitting the calendar soon:

Aug 3rd, 2:30-4:00pm

Title:
“DAY and MINI-MAKER: Swirly colored wire suncatcher ornament hangy-thingy”

Short description:
“KIDS WELCOME, as well as adults of any age. Make a fun swirled suncatcher ornament using colored copper wire and beads and also learn skills that translate well to wire jewelry. Recommend age 5+ (kids MUST be accompanied by adult).”

Btw, @StanSimmons, agree with your concerns (my peeve too), and I put fairly blunt warnings about adults must accompany kids at all times and no drop-offs per DMS rules. A couple places :slight_smile: And I won’t be shy about enforcing it.

@coloneldan
I sympathize (been there). I’m glad you brought it up. It made me put a line in in my description to cover it. Basically I’m pretty laid back but if it’s disruptive enough to affect class, I’ll ask them to leave. It affects everyone’s experience otherwise.

2 Likes

Technical term? :laughing:

2 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/groups/897202193755685/

1 Like

<!>

<!>
or Something Like:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/kids-woodworking-kits.html (we’d pre-cut and/or pre-drill and/or pre-CNC them first, kids then just need to use tack hammer or small screw-driver on them and eat some paste)
<!>

3 Likes

We could do another paper circuits craft some evening.

3 Likes

How about designing and posting the class as a parent/child team event?

Teach them both how to make something and have them make it together? They both have fun… it can be a bit of bonding… and it gets them out of the house to try something new together.

Indeed. I’ve done pop up books this way…kids illustrated parents wrote

2 Likes

I have submitted one for making a stretch bracelt for parents
and child

2 Likes