Interest check in sewn leather monk bag class

Would anyone be interested in taking a class to make these? May be a 2 parter over an afternoon since it’s a longer project. The cost is my biggest concern at $50 per bag due to the volume of leather used per bag. They are huge. Like can hold 6 bottles of wine or 4 2ltrs of soda huge.

8 Likes

Always interested in learning new leather projects.

Thanks man. I want to say it may have been @mreynolds who also wanted to learn this one.

1 Like

I was gonna say “That thing is YUGE, man!” but methinks the petite model makes it looks even HUGER than it really is.

3 Likes

I would totally do this and happily pay $50.

But my free time is dead until after mid-June, so I hope you’ll have one in the summer too

2 Likes

This may be a one and done based on effort. The leather apron class did that to me :frowning:

we’ll see.

1 Like

Perhaps a canvas or duckcloth monk bag would be an alternative? In addition to a more modest price point, those could be sewn on the normal sewing machines at DMS in parallel rather than serially on THOR.

2 Likes

Those monk bags can be sewn on the regular sewing machine as well. Thor is not required.

1 Like

FWIW- This class will be on the regular sewing machines using the specialty sewing needles. Upholstry leather sews like denim.

Agreed about the price, but some folks have expressed an interest in leather versions. I may be able to scale the price back a tiny bit but will have to discuss with @jnorine . Just getting my finger on the pulse right now.

4 Likes

Jinx
plus 10

2 Likes

Also, this is looking like May if the class were to happen. The sewing machines are tied up in weekend classes all the way for the next 6 weeks out.

1 Like

@Aneres isn’t messing around with the Sewing classe bro!

1 Like

Yeah I asked about it a while back. Can we bring our own leather to negate cost?

I could set the cost at $0, and have the other students pay the kiosk for the leather. Problem with a $0 class is no-shows, but yes, its doable.

1 Like

Fabulous, pretty, smart and petite… :wink:

2 Likes

Tru dat
And other complimentary adjectives.

1 Like

There is one day for sewing classes per week and maybe one sewing class for two hrs on another day, you still have 5 or 6 other days in the week to schedule your classes in April.

That’s just for my classes.

The Thor is best for this project because the home sewing machines will not be able to sew anything thicker than light to medium weight fabric. The Thor is always available.

Okay. Gotta be argumentative here…

Why would the home sewing machines not be able to sew anything but light or mid-weight fabrics?? I own FOUR home machines, and they are all capable of sewing denim and upholstery weight, and probably garment-weight leather as well. The only time I’ve had issues was when the pile o’fabric pieces got too high to get under the presser foot.

I’m a pretty experienced at sewing, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable trying to do that particular project on the Thor, due to the lack of a sewing table surround. And would hate being in a project class with this limitation, since everyone would have to take turns.

3 Likes

@Webdevel stated easier that the lightweight upholstery leather used for these bags CAN be sewn on the regular machines. He noted that a special leather needle is needed (probably a sharp diamond-shaped point for cutting through the leather rather than a ball point used for fabric).

1 Like

I’ve taken @Lordrook’s classes before sewing upholstery leather. They can be done on our standard sewing machines. The needle as I recall is basically a mini exacto blade. It slices the leather for each stitch.

1 Like