Interest Check for Blender Basics Class

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/20763

I finally put this class on the Calendar! It Starts Saturday the 18th at 1 pm.

2 Likes

Signed up, but word of warning, doesn’t look like you set a maximum class size so could be overwhelmed potentially.

I would have signed up, but I’ll be out of town. I’ll catch the next one.

Hi Chris
I have some experience in 3dmodeling in 3dMax but I also have Blender installed and my son is taking it at North Lake as well. I am really interested in the 3d printing at makerspace how can I sign up.
Bill Syrother
[email protected]

Saturday, November 18th how can I join in very interested

Go to Events |Dallas Makerspace Calendar and sign up.

If you are not a DMS member, you’ll need to make sure you have made arrangements to get it.

If you are a DMS member, you should apply for your Green Dot which gives you access to member-only sections of Talk.

To get your Green Dot follow the instructions here:

I didn’t know the capacity of the Pillar Room, so hopefully we’re not going to get over 9,000 people swarming DMS to try and learn Blender…

…I should probably edit that Calendar listing, huh?

Up to you.

If you want everyone actively using program, yes you need to edit to number of computers with it installed.

If you and the students are ok just watching you demo how to, then no.

There’s a two part class I teach. Part 1 is no restrictions I demonstrate how to design something. If you have a laptop, bring it and follow along.

Part 2 is hands on and limited to number of widgets that are cut, usually 6. Easier to give everyone the attention needed to finish the project.

Ideally it would be limited to the number of computer workstations available in the Pillar Room. Does anyone know how many there are?

@Team_Infrastructure does anyone have a count of computers in pillar room with Blender installed?

There are 6 workstations but you’ll want to talk to infra abt the blender version present, if any.

I believe that only somebody with magic powers can adjust the limit after submission into the system.

You can add words to the effect that only the first N has access to a DMS computer. Encourage them to bring their own with the software already installed.

There are 5 working computers in the Pillar Room. The sixth one doesn’t have internet (back right corner when facing the TV’s).

1 Like

You might mention there are 6 machines available that are first come first serve for those that don’t have laptops. Ideally folks will bring their own laptop. Blender will run on pretty much anything.

2 Likes

We also have the surface books in the community room however I don’t think Blender is widely installed at DMS and I’m not familiar with it’s hardware requirements either. Some of our machines may be unsuitable.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/20763

Just a reminder, this class starts in the Pillar Room at 1 pm on Saturday, the 18th. Sign up if you’re interested, and please bring your own laptop if you’re able to.

To those attending, do you have any suggestions for topics you would like to be covered? My current plan is to start with basic UI Navigation, then shift to Viewport Camera movement, then start basic mesh editing.

Chris, I’m going to be out of town unfortunately, but I’m interested if you continue to hold additional classes. If you do, do you think someone would be able to jump in without having attended this first one and also not slowing down the flow of other students that might be in their second class? If the plan is to build off things discussed in the first class, I would be more than willing to get myself up to speed off-line if you could provide materials that were covered prior to the second session.

Thanks!

I honestly don’t know at this point, I’ll need to see how this first class goes.

No problem! Keep us posted… I’m sure the class will go great. With Fusion’s prices going way up, Blender seems to be an even better option.

I regret missing this (I wish I had searched "Blender in talk a week earlier). I am curious how it went and interested in joining any subsequent classes that get put on. Thanks for sharing this with the DMS community