Interest Check for Blender Basics Class

I’m in-between projects right now, and not sure what exactly to do next. I’ve been thinking about the possibility of offering a casual class on the Basics of Blender. Casual, not only in the topics covered, but also because I’ve never taught a class before, and I’m not sure how well it’ll go. This is a way for me to give back to the community, and also an opportunity for those interested to take a guided tour of one of the most popular and powerful 3D Modeling programs, training wheels included!

I’ve been using Blender for over a decade, mostly as a way to doodle in 3D. I have used it to modify models for 3D Printing, as well as design my own 3D Print files (including my recent One-Handed Controller, as featured in the September Show & Tell Thread).

Basically, I’m familiar enough with Blender to (hopefully) do a decent job of helping newbies learn it, but I’m not exactly an expert in any specific part of Blender. There are plenty of fancy tutorials on YouTube for shaders, Geometry Nodes, etc. I would focus more on navigating the user interface, basic modeling techniques, etc.

My question to you boils down to this: Are you interested in a class like this, and if so, what topics would you like me to cover? Also, I would probably need a bit of guidance in setting up the class once I have a better idea of what people want out of it lol.

8 Likes

Thx for offering this. Does Blender run on Mac, in native mode?

According to their download page, macOS versions are available for both Intel and Apple Silicon architectures. So I would assume that means Blender runs natively on Mac.

I would also assume that whatever classroom this class takes place in (assuming I attract sufficient interest) would have computers that might already have Blender installed. It might be a good idea to double check that with people in the know, now that I think of it. Who should I ask about whether or not it’s ok to install Blender on DMS Classroom Workstations?

Anyway, what would you want to learn if you attend this class?

I believe that Blender is installed on all the computers in the Pillar Room. Hannah was teaching Blender before she moved to Austin, and was one of the first to use the Pillar Room computers. I checked the one I’m sitting at, and it has Blender.

We actually need more of the introductory classes to get beginners started with complicated software.

I taught intro to Inkscape and GIMP and let others dive into more advanced topics and techniques.

1 Like

We need you to teach again Bill!

Someday…

I’m definitely interested!

Cool! Is there anything in particular you want to learn, or just the basics? I want to get an idea of how I’ll structure the class before I actually put something on the calendar.

…Speaking of putting it on the calendar, how do I do that?

Well, you can come talk to me in the Pillar room some afternoon or evening (not tonight – I’m heading out now), and I can explain all the oddities.

Basically, log into the Calendar with your username and regular DMS password. Then click Submit Event. Most of it is as it appears. As an old person, it took me a while to realize that I should click the clock at the bottom to set the time. You can also type it in. I usually start on the hour, and if I want any 30 minute starts, I edit the hour. It’s annoying to have to click the minutes one at a time.

If you want to get paid, you’ll need to submit a W-9 to our bookkeeping firm. @bizwacky knows more about how to do that. I did mine so long ago that submitting a paper copy to the treasurer was the way to do it.

1 Like

Information about teaching at DMS, some of it is outdated.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/teach/

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/So_You_Want_to_Teach_A_Class

1 Like

Thanks! I’m sure I can figure it out, just wanted a little advice.

As for the optional Honorarium, I’d say don’t worry about it. I’ve never taught a class before, so I have no idea if it’ll even be worth anything lol. For all I know I might clam up and go “ah, um… hmm…” half the time trying to think of what to do next. I just want to try something new and (try to) give back to the community.

I was hoping I would get some ideas from those interested, but the responses so far are mostly from more experienced members. Maybe I just need to think of a good time (likely Saturday) and just schedule something. Hopefully people will come…

Yeah basics would be good from a student perspective, and practicing different types of models you can make! Maybe like Introduction 101 basics, and then an Applications.

I think this deserves a standing o
:clap: :clap: :clap:
(Emoji claps never quite carry the sentiment)

:+1:
As an old friend once told me back during my retail shelf stocking days on a particularly dismal day “ya just gotta open the first box and put it on the shelf. Then the next. That’ll get it done much faster than staring at them wondering what to do first.”

1 Like

Interested in as many Blender classes as you’re willing to teach. While there are great tutorials on YouTube, many of them are difficult to keep up with.

Introductory classes are great, but there is a lot to cover when it comes to 3D that sometimes it’s difficult to keep moving forward without losing students.

Class idea: project based class that covers just enough of the basics that someone can still play after class but not feel overwhelmed. Something like designing a box with an inset lid for 3D printing.

2 Likes

A simple 3D Printing project is a great idea. Whether or not everyone wants to design stuff for 3D Printing (although it’s safe to assume that many will), this is a great path to covering the basics without getting nose-deep into any of the bajillions of other topics Blender has to offer.

I’m tentatively thinking about Saturday, November 18th. For the few people who have expressed interest so far, does that date work for you?

1 Like

Blender design for 3D printing is an easy concept for everyone to wrap their head around. That same design could be sliced into layers and be 3D printed, laser cut, plasma cut, CNC routered, Shapeoko, etc etc.

Am available on 18th if you do a class.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/20763

I finally put this class on the Calendar! It Starts Saturday the 18th at 1 pm.

2 Likes

Signed up, but word of warning, doesn’t look like you set a maximum class size so could be overwhelmed potentially.

I would have signed up, but I’ll be out of town. I’ll catch the next one.