Interest check: beginner electronics classes

I am interested.

Thanks!

I am interested.

Thanks for planning this!

Very interested in the inductor class so I will be there on the 14th. Also looking forward to the digital logic. A session on semiconductors I think would also be valuable. It might start with diodes and go on to help us sort out the differences in various types of bipolar transistors, MOSFETs, PUTs and so on.

Thank you.

We canā€™t make the 14th since thatā€™s ā€œTake All the Parrots to the Vetā€ morning, followed by Ravenloft.

(Romantic as anything, right?)

Also not on a weekend that the Interested Teenager is with me.

As someone thatā€™s cobbled together connectors for LEDā€™s, deadbugged a current supply or two, and always pushed the limits on the bigger the blob, the better the job theory, Iā€™m always interested in a class on soldering, fabrication, and testing,

My equipment consists of a cheap soldering iron, a wet paper towel, a fixture with spring-clips and a magnifying glass, and the persistent desoldering tool (note the absence of a proper soldering station) ā€¦ so bringing that stuff is of marginal benefit since itā€™s so terrible.

I donā€™t want to steal Raymondā€™s thunder (people seem to be confusing the classes he is considering teaching with the classes I have on the schedule), but I want to mention that I took a class in Technical Soldering long ago, and Iā€™ve been a soldering snob ever since. I trained on a lot of esoteric connectors, mostly used in the aerospace industry. Now, SMT has become much more important and diversified, but the basics are the same. Soldering is a skill that most people donā€™t learn well.

It is a skill they donā€™t learn well. Also, they donā€™t know how to best use what they have or how to properly take care of it.

Some will also learn what a good soldering station can do and may want to upgrade. Other will learn what they are missing out on with a few small techniques they never knew they could do with the gear they have and a few small upgrades to tools or consumables.

Looks like I have no business travel in March so I need to figure out a good set of dates to put on the calendar for these 3 classes.

In the meantime, if you have never soldered, the beginners kits, solder, tools, multimeters, and more at Radio Shack are marked down VERY heavily at the clearance stores. For more info, check this thread: Radio Shack Store Closings

They even have some Velleman kits for $4 to $5 after discounts at some of the stores and these would be good to use for learning soldering.

Raymond

1 Like

Soldering skills definitely seems like the place to start.

While our local RS isnā€™t one on the chopping block there are a few somewhat nearby that are on the list. Will attempt to grab some decent starter solder kits for everyone, hopefully before anyone schedules a Soldering 101 class. Thanks for the pointers on kits.

Thanks! They also have a bunch of solder together kits on clearance at Micro Center. They have blue price tags on them and the clearance price is also on the 10-pack of kits too.

Iā€™m looking at March for soldering and test equipment classes. I just have to work out the schedule around pinfest so folks would attend. :slight_smile:

This is exactly the kind of class (series) I am looking for. I need help selecting equipment for my electronics workbench and learning how to use this test equipment.

1 Like

Micro Center has their solder together kits (thru-hole and SMT) marked down and in a metal bin on the back left aisle. These would be great for folks who are wanting to learn how to solder. You can bring them to the class too.

Right now Iā€™m 85% done with the presentation for the test equipment class then will start the soldering one.

I already have a great start on a digital logic presentation that I showed at the last arcade repair party at my shop last fall.

Now to get something on the calendarā€¦

2 Likes

Radio Shack has more soldering kits than you could shake an iron at, and they are marked down quite a bit. I bought several.

Depending on the dates Iā€™d be interested. Like many others Iā€™m interested in improving soldering skills, the basics of diagnostic work and repair and reconstruction. I like the kit idea, too.

I plan on being at the memberā€™s meeting tonight if anyone wants to chat.

@Lampy, will you be there? Iā€™d like to run my first presentation by you.

Raymond

Iā€™m here now and should be until 8-9pm

Heading out nowā€¦ will be there in about 25 mins

I am interested in learning basics. Will try to be there on Sat. (have a chore to do first).
Bill

I ended up getting an emergency text from my wife at 6:15 and had to go.

Howdy,

Iā€™m pretty sure I have the basics of soldering down, but Iā€™m a complete novice in regards to using test equipment (besides a multimeter). Iā€™m very interested in the test equipment class.

Thanks!