Radio Shack Store Closings

My store has no sales at this time

Does Radio Shack have any really large stores in the area? I know of only a few hole-in-the-wall outlets.

They are probably closing the small stores first? But they have a huge list.

RS Store Closure List (PDF)

They have divided up the stores into categories and the stores that are closing earlier have MUCH higher discounts on products. The store in Corinth had the 1M tri-color LED strips marked down to less than 60 cents each and Basic Stamp systems down to $8… I cleaned them out of a LOT of stuff.

The store in Lewisville on Main St. is only down to 50% off the lowest marked price so the Basic Stamps were $20 each.

Big difference.

Also, don’t pay a lot of attention to pricing. The 2 stores I was at today were terribly mispriced and the tags on the pegs didn’t match what was on the pegs. These folks running the stores were employees from other stores as people have been leaving as soon as they can find other work. They are still putting up boxes of stuff as fast as they can, but these stores are train wrecks inside. (At least to me as a former manager, they are…)

The RS in Lewisville on 3040 was down to 80% on the stuff I bought.

My store in Dallas was 50% off the 80% off on maker stuff. I bought lots of things. All this was < $40 total.

4 Likes

The Flower Mound store is not a clearance store. However they were boxing up stuff to send to other stores.

I used my Garmin to hunt for stores outward from my home. The first two stores apparently don’t exist. The third, down on Campbell, is not closing, and they told me that the stores that are closing were already closed for the night; the discount stores close at 6 P.M. I looked at one more store, over in Garland; it’s closing, but was already closed for the night. It looked like it might still have something interesting in it. I should have gone over there yesterday, when I was right across the street from it.

We got the same story at the Waxahachie RS: not shutting down, not having a sale, so on, so forth.

Euless on is on the list, but didn’t know about closing and didn’t t have
any discounts

We’ll probably call ahead to the listed stores nearby rather than make the drive all around between Duncanville and Ennis and wherever else. Anyone else down here on the south end of the Metroplex interested in the status of these store sites?

I just noticed that if you do a search for Radio Shack on Google Maps, and you click on each icon, the store hours show 6 P.M. on some of the stores, at least one of which I know is closing. The other stores show 8:30 P.M. They all open at 10 a.m.

ETA: Well, I did my best to close out the Garland store, but they still have some stuff on their shelves. I was expecting a large crowd at opening today, but they actually had a lot of nice things remaining. I mentioned to the lone clerk in the store that I was surprised the store hadn’t already been picked clean. He said he was surprised, too, because the store has been on close-out since November.

I bought a bunch of Arduino stuff, but a few pieces remain on the shelf. I bought a bunch of soldering supplies, a cable termination crimper and a clamp-on DC/AC meter. I bought all the EL supplies I could find; the clerk even let me take the store display. I have kits and magazines.

I might be making a donation to DMS. I didn’t actually buy most of this stuff for myself, anyway. I’m hoping we could use it in classes.

While I was in the store, I struck up a conversation with a young man who was also shopping. He asked me if I was building a big project. I told him that Dallas Makerspace members are scouring all the Radio Shack stores. He brightened and said that he is looking for a Makerspace. I gave him the DMS address.

My two Dallas stores with such good deals yesterday (Medallion & Lakewood) actually raised their prices this morning :frowning: Oh well, good while it lasted.

:frowning:

Well, the Mockingbird store is between those two; maybe they still have good prices?

I wanted to buy all the PV solar cells, too, but those were not marked down.

WSJ has a nice map of all the RS store closings.

2 Likes

Quick! Let’s take a trip to Agua Prieta, AZ! Why do they even have a store out there?

Ok my haul of the Lewusville stores this morning. Included tons of Arduino Shields;

TFT Shield
GPRS Shield
Motor Shield
Relay Shield
SD Card Shield
X-Bee Shield
Ethernet Shield
Parallax 3-Axis Gyroscope

4x 1meter RGB LED strips

3x Soldering Starter Kits

EL Tape & 12v inverter

Couple of USB battery packs

Robot gears and motors

And on and on…

Spent $60 saved $222

It seems there is a group of stores that are closing and discount is 30 - 50% now and another group that is closing that were already “clearance” stores and their discount is 50 - 80%. The info is supposed to be on their website but isn’t posted yet. In the Mid-cities the Eueless store on Ector and the Hurst store on Precinct Line (by Target at 183) are closing but only at the 30/50% discount now. The North Richland Hills store at Davis Blvd and Precinct Line is at 50/80% discount. Most of the DIY stuff at NRH rang up at 80% off. After discount the Arduino boards were $12 and the Arduino starter kits (without boards) were $7. EL wire $3, electronic circuit thread $2. In the parts drawers almost everything rang up at 80% off. I’d suggest going to one of the stores on the closing list and asking where is the nearest clearance store with 50-80% discount. Be nice to the employees, they just found out yesterday that their stores were closing and they will be out of work.

1 Like

Radio shack at Preston and royal is on clearance and still had a fair bit of stock. I picked up a load of arduino hardware for 60% off.

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

I normally wouldn’t be able to buy very much gear, but it isn’t every day that a nationwide electronics chain has an 80%-off sale. I bought a bunch of stuff, with the intention that we could use it at DMS, especially for teaching classes. I sure don’t have an immediate use for this stuff for myself, as cool as it might be.

Here’s what I bought:

Literature
“Using Your Meter”
Special Issue Make: 3D Printer
Make Volume 40 DIY Consumer Electronics
Make DIY CE Magazine Vol 38
Make Magazine: Volume 39
Make: Electronics
Make: Arduino Bots and Gadgets
Forrest M. Mims III Getting Started in Electronics
Forrest M. Mims III Vol I
Forrest M. Mims III Vol II
Forrest M. Mims III Vol III
Forrest M. Mims III Vol IV

Make Gear
Make: IT Electronics Deluxe Tool Kit
Make: IT Component Kit 1
Make: IT Component Kit 2
Make: IT Optical/Mic/Infrared Sensing Pack
Make: Ultimate Microcontroller Pack

General Electronics Gear
RS Electronics Component Pack 2
RS Electronics Learning Lab Kit
15 Watt-equivalent Cordless, Battery Powered Soldering Iron
Learn to Solder Kit w/ 25 Watt Soldering Iron
40 Watt LED-illuminated Soldering Iron
20-30-40-50 Multiwatt Soldering Iron
60 Watt Weller ProSeries Soldering Iron
Lead Free Solder
RS Digital Soldering Station
RS Breadboard and Jumper Wire Kit
LED Helping Hands Magnifier
10:1 IR Thermometer
Pocket IR Thermometer
Pro Crimping Tool
Clamp-on Digital Multimeter
EX210T True RMS Digital Multimeter
EL Wire 3M Red
EL Wire 3M Blue
EL Tape 1M Red
EL Tape 1M Blue
1.75 mm ABS Filament Red
1.75 mm PLA Filament Red
1.75 mm ABS Filament Blue
1.75 mm PLA Filament Blue
1.75 mm ABS Filament White
1.75 mm PLA Filament White
1.75 mm PLA Filament Nature
Thermal Compound Remover/Purifier
Umold Plastic
Rotary Tool Kit (83 PC)
USB Microphone
Wireless Microphone

Arduino Gear
Arduino Micro
Arduino Mega 2560 Rev3
Arduino Uno Rev3
Arduino Esplora
SEEED Motor Shield
SEEED Relay Shield
SEEED Touch Shield
SEEED Ethernet Shield
SEEED Proto Shield Kit
SEEED SD Shield
SEEED XBee Shield
SEEED GPRS/GSM Shield
Relay Shield
PIR Sensor
Camera Board
Ultrasonic Range Sensor
Standard Servo
Micro Servo
3-axis Gyroscope Module
RS Sidekick Basic Kit
RS Motor Pack
Zagg Victory Shield

BASIC
Basic Stamp 2 Board

I’d rather not say how much I spent on this, but I saved a whole lot of money by shopping at Radio Shack!

Now, how can this gear be put to the best use for the Space? I’m thinking of teaching classes with it; or, if someone else wants to teach a class with it, I could donate it for that use. I’m not sure of the details of making this work. I want to avoid donating a bunch of stuff that is not going to be of use to anyone, or that walks out the door without being noticed.