INTEREST CHECK: Adobe Illustrator Class

I was talking to a few people after a laser class today who expressed interest in a class about Adobe Illustrator. So, I’m thinking about designing one that possibly touches on designing for many of the tools around the space that take vector art. A lot of the programs that run the tools have quirks when you import a vector file that I’m in the process of nailing down. But that’s just one idea. If people are interested in a more general class about Illustrator, I’d be happy to teach that as well.

Also, I was going to check when I go to the space tomorrow, but is CC available on the laptops there? Or would I have to get creative with how the class is structured?

11 Likes

I think an Adobe Illustrator class would be awesome! If you have one and it happens to be at a time that I can be there, I would definitely be interested!

Creative Cloud is not on the laptops. We only have a handful of licenses; and, they are on some of the desktop PCs (Laser, Creative Arts, and Digital Media).

Awesome! So glad you’re so interested in it. I’ll have to figure out a time that works for most people :wink:

Interesting. In that case it would need to be more of a Demo/Q&A format, which could work, if people are still interested in learning or getting an introduction to it that way. The best way to learn it really is by doing it, but when you’re still unfamiliar with it, it helps to hear and see the buttons and what they do, I’ve found.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree… I definitely learn better by doing; but, having a real person available to provide a bit of personal insight that YouTube can’t offer is still very helpful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

As soon as I get some reading glasses and such, I badly need to learn to use the tools that will allow me to use the
various computer controlled machine we have, BIT I do not have a laptop at this time, And my tabler vanishe in the summer and hasnt been seen,

1 Like

I would be all about this. I am currently using inkscape and I get some issues importing the files into PlasmaCam for the CNC Plasma and I think its because of inkscape.

1 Like

Do you have an example of a file you would try? I’d be interested to see it, and maybe also generate some other files to see how those do. I don’t use the plasma cam myself but maybe some coordinated efforts could do the trick? And that would be a piece for the class I wouldn’t be able to get on my own

I use Illustrator - frequently but not well. Not well at all, in fact. (Just barely, to be honest). I’d be very interested in a class.

From my experience the issue when going from inkscape to PlasmaCam is a problem with the inkscape DXF export. I have a lot less trouble if i open the inkscape file in AI then use the AI DXF export. Maybe i should just use AI directly but, sadly, I don’t have a license and i really like sitting at home when laying out designs.

EDIT: deleted my post because re read your post and you said pretty much the same thing, I apologize XD

Writing the class outline now, and I have no idea if I’m including too much but I think it’s turning out to be a hour and a half class. So far it covers most of the basic and cooler features that can be used when designing for the laser cutter, vinyl cutter, or whatever. All throughout I’m including stuff to keep in mind when exporting to other programs. It also looks like a demo class format will work just fine, but I guess we’ll see for sure when the class actually happens!

1 Like

Awesome! Don’t forget to set it at least 10 days out if you want to receive honorarium. :slight_smile:

And good luck getting your W9 on file…

Not hard. Download the IRS W-9 form here. Fill it out. Keep an electronic copy on your computer. I submit a copy each time I submit a class - it just takes me a couple clicks now that it’s filled out.

Yep. Been there. Done that.
But I have yet to see an honorarium because mine is “not on file”.
It’s not a big deal, but it IS kind of frustrating there appears to be no conduit to address this, and if the $$ were a big deal, it would be a big deal. Instead it’s merely annoying.

1 Like

Thats a great idea I’m going to have to try that my theory was that exporting from inkscape was causing some issues.

I definitely want to take this class. I paid for AI before but stopped my subscription since I didn’t really know what I was doing. @creaturecarousel is there a way I can email you a file of something I used for the PlasmaCam or attach a file on talk?

definitely interested in this class!

Would it be possible to do a few in smaller sessions - instead of just one class?

Very much interested as well!

Either way works. My email is [email protected]